Will eat anything not bolted down!

Options
HI!!! Today I realized I want to EAT when Im streesed out! Ive never realized that before, and right now Im trying to pay extra attention to my food intake and my cravings...I was annoyed at work and thought "Ohhh I really want some chocolate"
STOP! Now I know that can happen and I will stop myself from now on... Anyone else, eat when stressed????

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I am definitely an emotional eater......but I have a worse problem......I eat when I'm stressed, happy, mad, sad, as a reward for being good and the list goes on and on.
  • Rororosie
    Rororosie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I agree with this, I'm an emotional eater... stress, etc. When I get rollin, I do well, but can be derailed by a bout of emotional eating. That's why I don't weigh in every week, because I get too emotional regardless of whether the results or good or bad (I weigh in at my doctor's appointment now so it's not every week but I do check on it)....

One thing I have done is write a list of common triggers and what I might do instead of eat to deal with stress, sadness, anger, or even the urge to celebrate with food... there are a lot of other things to do besides eat to cope with both good and bad feelings....
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I eat when bored. All day running around after the kids plus work I am fine. As soon as their little heads hit the pillow @ 8:30, i plunk down on the couch to watch tv. Then I get up and get food, then more food, then b4 I know it I have doubled my cals eaten for the whole day. UGH!!!! Very frustrating especially since I am aware of it, but powerless to stop it.
  • weightlessness
    Options
    I think a lot of us on MFP are emotional eaters. Whenever I get stressed (or near the dreaded TOM) I get food cravings like crazy. Since foods like chocolate release serotonin, it makes you happy (for a bit) after eating. Your body knows this and craves this kind of release. I had a REALLY bad day the day before yesterday and I wanted to mow through five chocolate cakes. Thankfully, MFP has forced me to be a bit more aware of how logical that is. I think it's GREAT that you recognized the connection, it's definitely a step towards a healthier "eating" lifestyle! :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: