Replies

• runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I hate fake sugar. Makes me fart.
  • Hazel0096
    Hazel0096 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I had stevia for the first time last weekend in a mixed drink and I would 100% agree with you! It was AWFUL!!!
  • jannessy
    jannessy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    yes seriously....... too sweet
  • lifesigns64
    lifesigns64 Posts: 110
    Options
    Hate it too.... like splenda
  • Wrenbot87
    Wrenbot87 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I can tolerate stevia...but I prefer xylitol. Give that a try!
  • teawithmilkplease
    teawithmilkplease Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I hate when I buy a herbal tea to find it's sweetened with stevia! Why can't they just leave it out? It makes it so I can't even drink it. Ugh!
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Me too. Been using Equal for years. I see no reason to change.
  • kimmy_1432
    kimmy_1432 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried stevia as a mix in... but I (sometimes) treat myself to a Dr. Zevia. Which is zero calorie all natural soda that contains stevia. I really like it mostly probably because I had a huge Dr Pepper/sugar addiction. They make lots of different flavors too.

*Shrugs* not for everyone though.
  • lillith1991
    lillith1991 Posts: 70
    Options
    Yup! Its way to sweet for me. Most sugar replacements are. I love honey though, a little honey in some nice tolerably hot tea is heaven.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Try truvia, it is stevia mixed with erythritol, a sweet sugar alcohol that cuts the bitterness (with a high digestive tolerance)
  • Sophiad16
    Sophiad16 Posts: 23
    Options
    I also really like Truvia! Their baking blend (half truvia half sugar) is pretty good in baked goods as well!
  • cactus589
    cactus589 Posts: 8
    Options
    I love stevia!!

I've found that the brand is really important. I use KAL and it doesn't have any bitter aftertaste: http://www.iherb.com/KAL-Pure-Stevia-Extract-Alcohol-Free-4-fl-oz-118-ml/18986

Also, if its too sweet, you're using too much! It's really concentrated, so you only need a tiny amount. I use about 8 drops in a medium size iced tea.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Stevia in the raw is my favourite sweetener. I buy it in the resealable bag so I can use just as much as I want. I do find it sweeter than artificial sweeteners so I use less.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    My dad grows it in his garden and he loves to pick things off of plants and say "TASTE THIS" so I've chewed on an actual stevia leaf and can't not taste the leafyness if I use stevia as a sweetener anymore. THANKS DAD lol
  • stitchywitch
    stitchywitch Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can't stand it either, and I've tried everything (even Truvia and the drops!) It just tastes bitter, and to me it's both not sweet enough and too sweet (it's doesn't taste sweet, but the aftertaste is cloying). I wonder if some of us just lack the taste receptors?

I like xylitol, splenda, and sweet n low, so it's not as though I dislike artificial sweeteners (other than equal, which is also bitter to me) but I can't stand stevia. I really wish it weren't in so many things. I'm glad to see some natural products are now using xylitol instead!
  • MelStevia
    MelStevia Posts: 1
    Options
    :drinker: :heart: :heart:
    Depends on the refined stevia concentrate that is found in most of the sachets (1 gram package) they contain less than 7% stevia concentrate (which used Reb A 80%) which is the concentrated stevia powder.

If you found after taste with little bitterness, they are due to the concentration or rather the purity of Reb A that is used. If the manufacturer use 98% pure Reb A then the chances of having the bitter taste is almost gone as the bitter component is not found. The other information on too sweet, as each sachet containing 1 gram should work out to 3 tea spoon of sugar sweetness.

The other important information is the breed the stevia plant that is grown and used in the production that the manufacturer used.

Hope you find these information and should you need more information we can further update you the knowledge. We are a stevia lover and will like to convert more stevia levors out there. Most important that you need to know Stevia is all natural and not chemically processed.

Stevia :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Stevia is the worst thing ever
    It tastes overly sickly sweet and then has a horrible bitter aftertaste
    BLECH
    don't eat it then. Problem solved
  • Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I love stevia in my zero sugar Chi :D