A bit frustrated!

Options
I have recently found that my body reacts terribly when I eat to many carbs so I have lowered my carb intake.. not cut it out or gone so low it's extreme just lowered to where I am comfortable. The first week of this I lost 6 lbs. I know there was a lot of contributing factors (overall diet, exercise.. etc) BUT my biggest problem with this is while eating low carb I find it hard to get my calories up. I am just not hungry.. So some days I had less than 900 calories in for the day. That goes against all the advice I have ever received about eating the right amount and the right foods. (even from MFP) So I started eating more overall, carbs included and I gained weight and felt crappy. SO what is the answer? Is there a happy medium I am missing? The stress of this sent me right off the wagon this week. I am back on today and again looking at my diary it is low. I do not want to stress myself out over it again so I am hoping there is someone who has been in my shoes or just someone in general that can shed some light on my weight loss woes.. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    If you can't reach your calorie goal with what you are currently eating switch things up.

Switch out low fat/low calorie versions of food for higher calorie versions. Add in healthy oils to cooking, dressings, etc. Add in nut butters... nuts (tons of calories for a small portion).
  • fuschiagirl99
    fuschiagirl99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? Moving makes you feel better.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Most of the first 5-10 pound loss when you go low carb is water weight. As soon as you add back the carbs, the water returns, so the entire 6 pound down and couple pounds up could well have been "artificial". I agree that the easiest way to increase calories and stay lower carb is nuts and oils (be careful of added sugar in some nut butters).
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Definitely add more fat. Fat is fine. In fact, some people will go for a ketogenic diet that is very high in fat. I had a trainer recommend for me that I eat 30% protein, 20% carbs and 50% fat. I didn't do it... but I do feel better and burn better when I reach about 30% of my diet from protein and just let fat and carbs land wherever for the day. If I don't get at least 100g protein in, I will overeat carbs, which causes moods and cravings for me.

Stay away from low-calorie/low-fat/fat-free/100-calorie/non-foods.

Eat peanut butter, avocados, coconut oil... you'll get your calories up in a hurry.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Eat full fat dairy products (low fat often have more salt or sugar added in them) and eat more avacadoes and bananas.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I added some peanut butter and ground flax to my protein shake and it helped bring up my cals. Now If I can get it to work like that everyday I will be good. lol
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? Moving makes you feel better.

Yes. I take 3 weight training classes a week and I do zumba twice a week. I will sometimes add in one more wight training day depending on how my week goes. Also I walk alot at work. So Yep I am moving! :)
  • Zavier2012
    Zavier2012 Posts: 15
    Options
    I too feel bad when I eat too many carbs. My problem is once I start
    eating more of them it's hard to drop them down again.