Suggestions for low carb diet

Shari325
Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
I'm staying with relatives this week, for a funeral, that are reluctant (read refusing) to try low carb. I want to go to the store and stock up on low carb items that I can have on hand. I need/want dinner ideas for when they fix a "healthy" vegetarian dinner of corn, beans, and potatoes, and then look at me crazy when I say I can't eat that, it will cause my blood sugar to spike. They do not understand what carbs are. I want to just have alternatives available.
Help please!

Replies

• Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    There are loads of choices, even with carbs. If you do get carbs choose better options that don't convert to sugar too quickly, like vegetables, berries, whole grains. Rather than going too low with carbs :)

If you want to avoid bad carbs, avoid labels like dextrin, fructose, syrup, maltose, treacle, sucrose and dextrose. They're all converted to sugar very fast causing your unwanted raise in blood sugars.

Rice is great for a carb as it is not processed, just needs steaming so it is much healthier than the processed carbs, full of fibre and vit and mins its. Great meal filler. Japanese use it as a main instead of a meat or meat alternative like we do! I make a lovely quorn meatball alternative meal with rice and its mega yummy and filling, as well as looking appetising :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    I'm staying with relatives this week, for a funeral, that are reluctant (read refusing) to try low carb. I want to go to the store and stock up on low carb items that I can have on hand. I need/want dinner ideas for when they fix a "healthy" vegetarian dinner of corn, beans, and potatoes, and then look at me crazy when I say I can't eat that, it will cause my blood sugar to spike. They do not understand what carbs are. I want to just have alternatives available.

Steak, and bacon. You can pick the green veg from what they prepare.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    I'm pretty much a low carb fan girl so I get where you're coming from but even though I don't tolerate carbs well I'd eat what's served. Avoiding adding extra stress on top of an already stressful time would be worth it to me. If you can't tolerate a higher carb diet at all for the time you're there I'd opt to go heavy on eggs, dairy and green vegetables since you said their meals are vegetarian and that seems like it would be the least offensive.

Fried eggs over cabbage, cabbage and diced tomatoes sauteed in butter and topped with cheese, broccoli and cheese sauce, a salad with hard boiled eggs and a full fat dressing, and cream of zucchini or broccoli soup are things I eat normally. You'd have to be comfortable cooking in someone elses house (and I know I wouldn't be so it's tough) but they're family and if you can't eat certain foods for medical reasons I'm sure they'll be understanding.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Help please!

How about something like the Perdue Shortcuts (pre-cooked chicken or turkey strips)? May be a bit high sodium but would be convenient so that you don't have to use their stove, just store in fridge. Or even cold cuts ~ roast beef, turkey, etc? Or store bought egg salad? You can add those to the veggies and salad your host serves.

Sorry for your loss.
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Thank you everyone. Cooking in another persons kitchen is not an issue. I will be doing most of the cooking for all of us.
    I bought some kefir, yogurt, eggs, and greens.
  • kmbhoya2000
    kmbhoya2000 Posts: 174 Member
    Also keep a bag of almonds or roasted edamame on hand for snacks.
  • I'd recommend eating an acceptable but small portion with them and yes go heavy on the meat so they don't think you're doing the food justice. Later on if you get hungry eat some carrots or whole grain crackers. Small portions are better if you want to manage your sugar levels so it should be fine. Don't stress and try finding a low carb diet that can adjust to any sticky situation.

www.dukandiet.com/The-Dukan-Diet/4-Phases
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Help please!

Stock up on some fresh meats (grass fed, free range if possible) and green leafy vegetables. Purchase some fresh berries too and have with coconut milk or heavy whipping cream.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    I'm pretty much a low carb fan girl so I get where you're coming from but even though I don't tolerate carbs well I'd eat what's served.

I would to, unless I was deathly allergic. Probably the most polite thing you can do is try to contribute to the meals with a dish, or try to take them out where you can order what you want. This won't work for every meal, but I think everybody understands eggs for breakfast (you can even bring them eggs!).

As for snacks, I have recently realized that the olive bar at the grocery store has mozzerella, so I buy mozzerella and olives as a snack. There is also greek yogurt if you can find the full fat, unsugared stuff. Other cheeses. You can make deviled eggs if that's practical.