One Week

Options
So, today is the one week anniversary of my registering with MFP and then going out that night and buying a fitbit. The combination of the two has been incredible. The mere practice of logging what I eat and tracking my activity has made me turn away from foods I would have jumped on a week ago. For me, the problem has been undereating my calories so far. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to eat what I should (in terms of calories) while staying away from the bad food I am so used to eating. My wife being on Weight Watchers has certainly helped.

One week in, I am down from 248 lbs to 242 lbs and walking at least two extra miles a day. I have no expectation or even intention of keeping up that kind of drop on a weekly basis, but it was a nice kick in the pants to get me going. I have learned a lot from many of you here on MFP and you all are an inspiration. I have changed my life and finally think I understand what I need to get back into the shape I was in my younger days.

Thank you MFP (and fitbit) family!

Replies

• mistertripps
    Options
    Now four weeks in and nearly 13 pounds down! I feel better, have more energy and am starting to notice a big difference in how my clothes fit. Thanks for all the inspiration!
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! its so wonderful to see success stories =)
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    You're doing the hard work and deserve each and every victory! Congratulations and I hope your wife is doing well, too. It helps when someone is on the ride with you...even if you're using different "programs". Good luck on continued successes and keep us updated.
  • smith0054
    smith0054 Posts: 1
    Options
    I read your post and just thought I would say congratulations. Have you set yourself a target weight loss?

Kind regards

Anne (-21lb)
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Keep up the good work. I am also a fitbit owner, and LOVE it. It really does motivate me to move. Wishing you continued success.

Marie
  • bookitty_ca13
    bookitty_ca13 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    One week in here as well....congrats! :)
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Is fitbit like the UPBand the people are talking about? Do you wear fitbit all day, or just when exercising?
  • mistertripps
    Options
    Thanks all. My wife has lost 25 lbs in 16 weeks on Weight Watchers, so she is doing great as well. My target weight is 195, so I've got 40 lbs to go! And, the Fitbit is an activity monitor. I wear it all the time, including while I sleep. You tell it your vital statistics and your normal activity level (mine is sedentary due to my job) and then it tracks everything you do and estimates calorie loss for the day as well as tracking things like steps taken, elevations climbed, miles traveled and overall activity level for the day. It is great for me because I can measure how I am doing on a particular day against past days. And, it also tracks how much you move around when you sleep so you have an idea of how well you are resting at night. It is the best $100 I've ever spent.
  • jellyfish1976
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration. I will be a week on Monday and I am waiting until then to weigh myself. I agree that just being part of this has helped me make better choices. I do find that I am eating under my calories because at this point I am afraid to go over on my calories. It's great to see people who started just before me doing well. Thanks for sharing!
  • craziecritter
    craziecritter Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! I just got my fitbit yesterday it was on back order from Amazon for almost a month. The only problem I have with it I keep looking at it to see what time it is!! Guess I will get use to it eventually. I was on WW but wasn't losing anything. Went to a dietitian and she is helping me get to my goal. Congrats again.
  • jellyfish1976
    Options
    Which Fitbit did you buy? I can't decide which one to get.
  • nicolen763
    nicolen763 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Good for you!!
  • mistertripps
    Options
    I got the Fitbit One. I like the flexibility of being able to wear it on my belt or keep it in a pocket. I thought about waiting for the Flex, but decided against it after reading some of the early reviews.
  • jellyfish1976
    Options
    I have seen mixed reviews on the flex as well, so I will go with the fitbit one. Thanks for the info!