Food Diary Help...newbie here

Options
smewoo
smewoo Posts: 28 Member
Hey everyone I just wanted to see if I can get some opinions on how I'm doing with my food diary. Just so you know in advance I don't usually go to bed till around 2 or 3am and get up in the morning between 9:30am- 11:30am, so don't worry about me eating at midnight (I usually stop around 11 anyways). I stop eating three hours before bed. I just want to see if I'm eating enough, I'm having a hard time getting enough calories now that I'm eating real food. I don't want to be starving myself, trying to be healthy!

My diary is open to the public = )

Replies

• smewoo
    Options
    Oh wow, just added sugar to one of the things that is measured and... uh...I don't get it. How am I supposed to eat any fruit without going over?!?! Is sugar that important to measure?
  • jdarden1963
    Options
    I'm with you. I don't understand either. I saw one website that said there is no recommended daily intake of sugar but it said you should stay under 40g of added sugar. The only thing I can come up with is that sugar that is natural in foods does not count toward your daily intake. However, I don't know why the track counts it. I just try to keep my sugar near 1/2 of my total carbs and try to stay under 40g of ADDED sugar (anything that is naturally made in a food such as fresh fruits/veggies). Maybe someone will post a comment on here that really explains it all. Glad you brought it up. Good luck with your diet. =)
  • Dawn_2013
    Dawn_2013 Posts: 170
    Options
    Ok, so let me start by saying YOU ARE BRAVE to open up your diet. :happy: I am not ready to do that yet...but since you asked...I do have some suggestions.:flowerforyou:

Have you considered Quinoa instead of couscous? It is the only grain that is a protein and full of good stuff, which means it fills you up longer, is NOT as high on the glycemic index (*i.e. adds fat to your body faster the higher the glycemic index...) and you need less which = less calories. The organic red quinoa has amazing flavour and you can add anything to it, steamed veggies, chicken, and you can eat it hot or cold (as a salad) and it is easy.

I noticed a lot of 'breads' i.e. crackers, chips, bread...and these are high in glycemic index but dont give you bang for your buck. They are a quick fill up, but then let you down HARD. A small piece of cheese, although high in fat, will sustain you longer, and an egg, almost all morning! If you can minimize the carbs in the bread and add more protein, eat your carbs in the morning, and only meat/veggies at night, the weight will move!

One last thing, the sodium is quite high which will hold on the weight. Yes sugar is not great,but getting it in whole fruit like you are (*btw, you are doing a lot right!), is high in fibre and much better than fruit juice. If you can get the sodium down, it will help a lot. The more you can stay away from packaged or processed foods (cheese included) and eat as fresh food as possible, the lower the calories and the better your body will feel.

Otherwise, way to go! This is a great site, and if you can find ways to work out, even walk with your baby, you will do great. I wish you ALL the best!
  • smewoo
    Options
    Ok, so let me start by saying YOU ARE BRAVE to open up your diet. :happy: I am not ready to do that yet...but since you asked...I do have some suggestions.:flowerforyou:

Have you considered Quinoa instead of couscous? It is the only grain that is a protein and full of good stuff, which means it fills you up longer, is NOT as high on the glycemic index (*i.e. adds fat to your body faster the higher the glycemic index...) and you need less which = less calories. The organic red quinoa has amazing flavour and you can add anything to it, steamed veggies, chicken, and you can eat it hot or cold (as a salad) and it is easy.

I noticed a lot of 'breads' i.e. crackers, chips, bread...and these are high in glycemic index but dont give you bang for your buck. They are a quick fill up, but then let you down HARD. A small piece of cheese, although high in fat, will sustain you longer, and an egg, almost all morning! If you can minimize the carbs in the bread and add more protein, eat your carbs in the morning, and only meat/veggies at night, the weight will move!

One last thing, the sodium is quite high which will hold on the weight. Yes sugar is not great,but getting it in whole fruit like you are (*btw, you are doing a lot right!), is high in fibre and much better than fruit juice. If you can get the sodium down, it will help a lot. The more you can stay away from packaged or processed foods (cheese included) and eat as fresh food as possible, the lower the calories and the better your body will feel.

Otherwise, way to go! This is a great site, and if you can find ways to work out, even walk with your baby, you will do great. I wish you ALL the best!

I don't really mind opening up about my diet I'm looking for all the help I can get. I guess I just wasn't raised eating right so I have NO idea how to do it. It's almost overwhelming when I really think about it. Oh and just so you know this is me trying my hardest to eat healthy lol.

I have never even heard of Quinoa, so no I have never thought to eat it lol.

I am having a hard time getting a lot of protein without a lot of added sodium.

About the bread... I feel like what your saying is that I will hungry again sooner from the bread. If so then I'm not sure that it is a bad thing. I'm actually having a hard time eating ENOUGH now, I feel like I'm having to force my self to eat, however small of portions they are. I have been attempting to boost my metabolism by eating small amounts every 2 to 3 hours... I don't know if I have the right idea by doing this.
  • smewoo
    Options
    Bah!!!! Now I'm so confused lol. I thought I was doing good with the Whole Grain stuff... Maybe I should talk to a nutritionist.
  • roxie0920
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, and don't get overwhelmed. :) There is a lot of great information on the internet on health and medical sites that can help you better understand your daily needs. Also, your friends on here are your best resource, so keep the questions coming. I also keep a public diary (you can all see how bad I've been this month, lol) so feel free to check it out for more food ideas.