Reletivley new and really confused !

Options
Hey! I've been using MFP for roughly 3 weeks, I have lost 6 lbs already but I must admit I'm not sure how the site actually works!
I have a goal of 1200 calories per day, but when I exercise I keep seeing a message saying I have earned so much more calories, so my question is, do I have to eat these calories? Or is it one of those "could if I wanted to" things. Thanks for any answers or support :)

Replies

• cjs3001
    cjs3001 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You'll get a lot of different responses to this question! Generally people tend to believe that 1200 is too low and that you should eat back your calories. Weight will probably come off really quick to start with but then quite a lot of people get stuck and find themselves not feeling too good because of a lack of nutrients and stuff in your restricted diet. Eating back exercise calories will not 'defeat the point' as a lot of people believe but if anything it will probably make you feel fitter and look a lot healthier. People can give you all different kinds of advice but you need to find what works for you and your body. In my opinion I'd probably eat more than 1200 and I'd eat my exercise calories too.
    Good luck :smile:
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    The program is designed to eat those extra calories from exercise. Some people choose to eat back a portion of them like 1/2 or 2/3. Personally I eat them all and have had good results. 1200 is the lowest number MFP gives out and it CAN be too low very often but if you feel ok keep at it. When you are eating that low it is even more important to eat those extra exercise calories.

2 lbs a week is a great loss! Congrats to you :flowerforyou:
  • OneChance2110
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I have actually been eating back a portion of my exercise calories without even thinking about it and I feel like I'm doing okay with it, thanks for the support :)