Lower carb/high protein pizza crust?

Options
raingirl32
raingirl32 Posts: 37 Member
Anyone found a good recipe for a lower carb/higher protein pizza crust? Doesn't have to be gluten free or yeast free. I do have some soy flour on hand at home....thinking of using that.

I saw one with just eggs, cream cheese, and parm cheese but I don't think I would like that texture.....

Currently I use a Challah (egg) bread as my pizza dough as I like how soft it is compared to traditional pizza dough recipes I've tried. So if I could find something like that, it would be a bonus (soft, thick crust)

Replies

• shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Meatzaa! Use ground beef/turkey. Google it.

Cauliflower crust.

Or a mix of the two.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Try a cauliflower crust pizza. It is truly yummy!

http://www.recipegirl.com/2012/01/16/cauliflower-crust-hawaiian-pizza/

The author of the webpage makes her pizza hawaiian style but you can use any toppings you want...
  • raingirl32
    raingirl32 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I tried the cauliflower crust. Didn't like it at all...sorry.

Not sure my hubby would do a Meatzza crust either. He likes his bread crust.

I'm thinking of tweeking an existing traditional recipe to sub in some of the bread flour with vital wheat gluten, soy flour, and unflavoured whey protein. Keep it as an egg dough (2-3 eggs) and still a yeast dough....

Might just have to experiment.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I just use mozzarella cheese! As it fries in the pan, I add an extremely light layer of salsa for a sauce, and then toppings like pepperoni minis, ham, sausage crumbles, veges, parmesan and lots and lots of garlic powder and italian seasoning. It's SOOOOOO GOOD!
  • steffanyjames
    steffanyjames Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Re: Cauliflower crust pizza:
    OOohhh I love this recipe. It doesn't get as crispy as I would like, but I love the flavour of all the toppings and you can't even tell its cauliflower! YUM!
  • MommyBeck
    Options
    This one is my favorite: http://yourlighterside.com/easy-pizza-crust/

So easy, just uses chicken and cheese! I love all of her recipes that I've tried ;)
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • bubbanene
    bubbanene Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    ground italian saugage turkey flattened out as the crust
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    How about using a low carb/high protien wrap or tortilla as a crust? I've never tried it myself but I've heard people like using FlatOut wraps. Some are better than others depending on what they're made of so compare labels.
  • theMIDDLE
    Options
    bump for cauliflower crust recipe...

intrigued.
  • cephlove
    cephlove Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You could try using quinoa flour. Still plenty of carbs, but more protein than you get from traditional wheat flour.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I just use mozzarella cheese! As it fries in the pan, I add an extremely light layer of salsa for a sauce, and then toppings like pepperoni minis, ham, sausage crumbles, veges, parmesan and lots and lots of garlic powder and italian seasoning. It's SOOOOOO GOOD!

WOW this sounds so good! Do you just put the cheese in a non stick pan without anything else? How long do you cook it before you add the toppings? I really want to try out this recipe is there a place to get it online? Thanks :flowerforyou:

Darn.........I just saw she deactivated her account so I will not get an answer to my question. If anyone reading this has made Pizza the way she was describing Please let me know. Thanks
  • swannmama
    swannmama Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't know about her mozzarella crust, but I like to put mozzarella in the pan and cook it until it's a pancake as a snack. I don't see why you couldn't put toppings on it. You'd have to use part skim instead of fat-free, because the fat-free just doesn't set up right. I also do the same thing with parmesan, and I think that might work better. Parmesan is a hard cheese, and is lower in fat than mozzarella, and it crisps up nicely.

Yes, you put it directly in your non-stick pan without anything else. Keep an eye on it and flip it when it gets "solid" - about 30 - 60 seconds. :-)

I was trying to figure out a way to make a pizza crust out of protein powder, but as I saw a recipe for protein powder crepes, I think that might be more suited to "tortillas".
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Just this past week, my kids wanted pizza so I made them the traditional crust and I used portabello mushroom caps for mine. Obviously, it wasn't anything like bread crust but it was good enough that I will make it again.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I use Josephs Low Carb Pita's for mine....it's more like a thin crust pizza but it satisfies like the real thing!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I make pizza crust from quinoa which is quite yummy. heres a link:

http://positively-healthy.com/quinoa-pizza-crust/

Its easy to make, the only drawback is you have to soak the quinoa for 8 hours so it takes a bit of preplanning.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    You're looking for a low carb crust. the cauliflower crust recipe does work. it's made with cauliflower, eggs and cheese there are recipes on line for it. however you must know this, STEAM don't boil the cauliflower otherwise it gets way too much water in it and it simply never dries out and gives you the pizza dough texture you want. so STEAM the cauliflower and when its soft it will still whip in a food processor or the like but the water content will be lower and it will cook to the consistency you want. took me some experimenting to figure this out cuz the recipes don't mention it. good luck.
  • rachelroma
    rachelroma Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've made them all... meatza, cauliflower, etc. I've never really tried one I didn't like. Some are more satisfying though. The ones I continue to make again and again are:

http://theysmell.com/delicious-no-carb-pizza-recipe/ (cheesy) ...and...
    http://pinterest.com/pin/171136854562711472/ (crispy)
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Agreed, the cauliflower one is awesome.