Weight Loss w/Arthritis Symptoms?

Options
Hi, everyone! I have a diagnosis of arthritis and for the past few years it has really slowed me down. I've noticed a difference when I do lose weight, and, you'd think that would have motivated me a long time ago, but here I am now.

I am basically here sharing my experience and asking for anyone with arthritis or chronic pain to share their experiences, what's worked, what hasn't, have you gotten results, etc....????

The good news in all of this is that I really do believe that I can reduce my pain. I have a way! The pain in my back and neck has prevented me from doing so many things in recent years and I just don't want to let that happen anymore if I can help it.

This time last year, I was about 168, and now I am 157. I started myfitnesspal several months ago at 164. It's been slow going, obviously, but I am very hopeful that I can really stay focused. I have a very small frame just like my mother did. If I had a larger frame, I could carry more weight comfortably, but I really just have very tiny bones. The good news about that is that my mother could rock a size 6 when she was in her sixties, but I've realized that with my small frame and arthritis symptoms, I just can't carry the extra weight anymore. It's not about how I look (okay, it is definitely about that somewhat), but more than anything else, it is about being able to keep up with my 10-year-old son. It's about being able to sit on metal bleachers and watch his sports games without a fiery pain in my back and neck. It's about making this situation get better and not letting it get worse!

When the pain is lessened, I mainly focus on housework and stuff, but what I really need to do is take time and start working out every day, even if it is just a little.

So, here is my plan. Stick to a 1200 calorie diet with lots of "anti-inflammatory" foods, (green powder, cherry juice, quinoa, etc.), and for now, walking 10 minutes a day, slowly. That may not sound like much but it's more than I've done. I've had times when even a little exercise will cause me to spend the next 3 days in a chair because it hurts, and I don't want to re-injure.

The past two nights I've done something a little different. I take a muscle relaxer at night so that I won't wake up in the morning with a bad migraine. So, I wait until the evening after I've taken it. That way, I feel more loose when I get on the treadmill which makes me feel less worried about causing a setback. So far, that's worked well.

I thought, if I do well with 10 minutes a day, in another week or so, I'll increase to 12 minutes a day, and so on, and so on...

Replies

• oX_Vanessa_Xo
    oX_Vanessa_Xo Posts: 478
    Options
    I have sciatica and rheumatoid arthritis. The pain is in my neck, shoulders, wrists, knees, hips and ankles. Awful, just awful in my knees. I have realizee the more I work out, the more the pain gets milder. If I go 2 or 3 days without working out, the pain comes back full blown.
  • diana031394
    diana031394 Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you for sharing that, Vanessa! Glad you are seeing those results! I am very hopeful that the increased movement will start to pay off. I'm looking forward to being out of pain!
  • aturbon
    aturbon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. Pain in both knees and both shoulders from arthritis, pain in my back, and those blasted migraines that kick in if you do too much. HOWEVER, it sounds like the path you are on is the right direction.

Encouragement: About 5 years ago, I had about 25 pounds to take off plus REALLY get in shape for a guide/outfitter school that my husband wanted to go to that summer. Whenever I would do very much at first, bam, the migraine would get me. So I started out slowly, as you are doing, and increased a little more every week. Best thing is that you can increase by bigger increments the stronger and lighter you are, without the dastardly consequences. After getting down to my ideal weight, I was able to do so much more, and had a great time with the summer learning vacation (5 weeks in the wilderness).

Long story about why I am back here again on the weight and pain circuit, some of it medical, some of it laziness. I just got done with about 6 weeks of physical therapy to get me doing the right things for my back while minimizing impact to knees & shoulders. At the start, I was nearly incapacitated by the pain from my back, but am now functional and sometimes completely pain-free in my back - 6 weeks really isn't that long, and the progress was significant. There are ups and downs - I have to scale back on some exercises when my knees get "annoyed", but usually can increase again in a few days after the inflammation subsides.

Other that I think help some are glucosamine/chondroitin with MSM. Per my doctor, need to take the full daily allotment of 1500 mg glucosamine & 1200 mg chondroitin at one time, not spread out throughout the day. Plus get as much of those Omega 3 fatty acids as possible - besides being heart-healthy, they also help to counter inflammation!

And keep on keeping on. You are on the right track!
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Consider eliminating wheat and gluten from your diet if you have arthritis pain and/or migraines. For many people, it makes a big difference. When I stay gluten-free, I have less joint pain. I indulged a bit on vacation, and I'm still feeling the effects in my knees and thumbs.
  • diana031394
    Options
    Thank you so much to you both! That is very encouraging! I've been thinking that if I keep moving forward, I will reach a point where I'm light enough and strong enough to where I can really rev up my workouts again. I've been there before. Years ago I was one of those people who ate well and worked out several times a week and I know what a big payoff there is, just in terms of how good I feel and how much energy I have. I want to get to that point again and I know I can. Pain can be so crippling and discouraging! (I've gone through phases where I would just eat and eat because food seemed like the only distraction.)

It has been very helpful to come here and read the experiences of others. I know that if I hang in there, life will start to look a lot different, maybe even in just a few weeks. I'm starting to think that the walking is actually going to start to make every bit as big of a difference as the dieting.

I'm going to check out the gluten free stuff also. With the eating changes I've made recently, I've already reduced the gluten I'm eating drastically, but I could eliminate it completely.
  • pigpiggygirl
    pigpiggygirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with RA 23 years ago, and I understand what you're going through. It's day-by-day, and very frustrating! I also lost a lot of weight and felt fantastic- BUT, I gained it all back over a few years. I've re-committed to dropping the weight because my 5' frame can't support 159 lbs. I turned 40 recently, and a week before my bday, a man thought I was pregnant- I'm not :/
    Do what you can, but pay attention to your body- it's a fine line between pushing yourself and suffering a flare up. Good luck in your journey! Oh I almost forgot: wheat grass tablets once a day help keep my inflammation down.
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have Ankylosing Spondylitis, which is arthritis that causes low back pain and other joint pain. I'm actually just a little overwhelmed right now bc I'm recently diagnosed and am dealing with a flare up and some complications. Guess this thread came along at the right time :)

Anyhoo, I just ignore it when I can and work out like a boss. I was just telling someone today that the Old Lady Back Hump Look just...ain't gonna work for me...no. I refuse. So, I lift heavy, do boot camp, and just walk when all that is too hard, which is not too often, thank goodness. From what I understand, I now have the perfect reason to work out forever!
  • diana031394
    Options
    It really helps me to know that other people have gone through similar situations and that the weight loss and workouts are working to help eliminate pain!
  • vstraughan
    vstraughan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Wow, I really feel for you. I have scoliosis, compressed nerves in my neck as a result (which gives me shoulder problems), rheumatoid spondylitis, sacroiliac dysfunction, distended knees as a result and arthritis roaming my joints. I'm on about 18 pills a day across painkillers, anti-inflams and sleeping tablets (as otherwise I don't because of discomfort)

When I put on weight it made everything worse and I had to up my meds.

I got a back brace and knee braces so I could go to the gym. Started on the elliptical at a low level for just 15-20 mins at a steady pace. I also found there were certain foods like highly oily meats that would make me worse so cut them out.

Don't get me wrong, in situations like ours it WILL take longer and you will have to be patient, but ramp up in tiny increments (speed, resistance, time) and it will be worth it. Definitely stay away from impact work and focus in one fluid motions.

A year later, I'm on high variable resistance for up to 90 minutes, doing spin classes and trying (again) to do the modified version of 30 day shred. I do any physio exercises while I'm at the gym while the body is warm and always put on a sweat top when I'm finished to cool down slowly and avoid sharp changes and then spasms.

I'm now lowering my meds across all of them. I still have a way to go but with injuries and afflictions patience is an absolute must.

Its hard, i know. Like you, there will be good days and bad days. Just make a little commitment to yourself to do something every day, however small.

Good luck and add me if you think I can be some support!
  • pkralev
    pkralev Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi all, i am glad i read this post. I also have Ankylosing Spondylitis (a type of arthritis). And at the moment doing any kind of exercise has resulted in pain in my hips. So once again I've started the 30 day shred (modified) and hopefully if I can just get through the pain for the first few days it'll get easier.
    Just a tip for you all, i've started taking 1/2 teaspoon of tumeric 3 times a day, and it has definitely helped with the inflammation, so much better than taking anti-inflammatories.:smile:
  • groovyreba
    groovyreba Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So, I've been taking a break the last few days because of pain in my shoulder. Maybe I shouldn't be taking a break, but should do some different exercises...something to think about...
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,213 Member
    Options
    I love the fact that you are committing to exercise! My experience has been the more I exercise (within boundaries) the better my severely arthritic hip feels. Yes, there's pain in movement, but it's much worse if I'm sedentary.

Also, I've found the elliptical is my best friend. Low impact and very modest pain. I can get my heart rate way up there and in a few minutes the waves of endorphins hit me, muting the pain further. For those 35 to 40 minutes, I feel like my old athletic self again, before the accident last summer from which I developed arthritis.

So keep at it! Exercise will not only help your arthritis, but it makes weight loss and weight maintenance MUCH easier.
  • ShellyAnn1965
    ShellyAnn1965 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello
    I have psoriatic arthritis, and osteo as well. I have found when I'm in that vulnerable place with pain, walking on the treadmill is easier on my body than walking outside. Outside on the concrete is more pounding impact than I can take sometimes, walking on the grass or dirt has too many holes, roots and whatever and I feel every one of them as a zing of pain on those vulnerable days! So nice easy, steady movement is the best I have found. And when I'm feeling stronger I go outside and enjoy nature!

I recently received an exercise ball as a gift. I thought it would be hell on my hips and spine, but it's not too bad, so I've been experimenting with that too. Trying to use it for core training, balance exercises etc.

One other thing. I have ALWAYS resisted the suggestion from well meaning family and friends to just give up. Get a handi-capped license for my car, or look into disability so I don't have to get up and go to work every day in terrible pain..... I say HELL NO! To that. I am going to fight and fight and FIGHT to stay independent. No special treatment for me! Not yet!

Keep in the fight! Don't give up!