Need an Ab Workout

Options
I have lost 34 lbs. I am 5'7 and weigh 138. Size 6. My abs are still disgusting. Any advice or recommendation for a good workout to burn the fat? I have come a long way - just finishing Week 12 of Jillian's 90 Day Revolution and I've been doing 6 Pack Abs - although not consistently. What can I do to get that last layer of fat off my lower abs?

Replies

• sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    You can't decide where fat comes off. Theres no such thing as spot reduction unfortunately. The best thing you can do is incorporate strength training into your fitness plan and carry on eating at a deficit.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    You can't decide where fat comes off. Theres no such thing as spot reduction unfortunately. The best thing you can do is incorporate strength training into your fitness plan and carry on eating at a deficit.

THIS....
  • blakerb29
    blakerb29 Posts: 74
    Options

That will reduce fat but not half as much as it will destroy muscle.
    I would avoid a calorie deficit when doing weight training, the only way it should be done is if you eat over 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight and amino acid supplements are included in the diet as this will minimize muscle loss with the calorie deficit diet.

If muscle loss is a goal then by all means ignore but for most it is not a goal especially considering that less muscle = a lower metabolic rate.

EDIT - The reason for the muscle loss would be that you are tearing/damaging muscle fibres with weight training far more than simply doing cardio especially if it is complete hypertrophy weight workouts.
    Without adequate protein and arguably calories their will not be enough nutrition particularly protein to allow the muscles to recover and grow.
    Calorie deficit = catabolic state and calorie surplus = anabolic state.
  • ccjohnso
    ccjohnso Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have seen people get really good results from supreme 90 day in their ab zone.
  • LifeJacketWaterJogger
    Options
    Hip Hop Abs or Rocking Body are great workouts for Abs and all other areas they both cost 19.95 at beach body site, and also Supreme 90 day.
  • blakerb29
    blakerb29 Posts: 74
    Options
    For abs workouts, please search for abs workout or abs class on YouTube. You will find plenty of free effective methods and workouts on there and will be able to incorporate your own style/workout if you wished.
  • Bekebab
    Bekebab Posts: 18
    Options
    Jillian Michaels: 6 Week Six Pack
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ8Zdj0OPMI

It's brutal, but it works! It's an all-over workout really, but with lots of crunches to strengthen the abs! As long as you stay eating healthily they should show off brilliantly ((:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    <--- Abs. Diet and heavy compound lifts. No special ab workout. The compound lifts increase the muscle volume in the abs because you have to use your core to stabilize.
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If you have a rest day, look into a really good yoga class. It promotes recovery & flexibility, while focusing on core engagement.
  • willow_rb
    willow_rb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    two words...compound lifts...

deadlifts, squats, over head press, pull ups, chin ups, bench press etc...

I hardly do ab workouts but when I do it i usually weighted sit ups, twists, etc...
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    two words...compound lifts...

deadlifts, squats, over head press, pull ups, chin ups, bench press etc...

I hardly do ab workouts but when I do it i usually weighted sit ups, twists, etc...

This exactly! Heavy compound lifts. The only ab work I do are hanging leg raises once a week.
  • ibach08
    ibach08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    AB Ripper X from P90X is really good ab workout! If you do not want to buy it I suggest plank, plank, plank and more planks. They really tighten up your entire core + there are many way to vary it...
  • MinnieLou92
    MinnieLou92 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen! You need to be eating pretty effing clean to get them to come through! People only start seeing their abs are a consistently good diet, with maximum protein and minimal refined sugars.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I have seen people get really good results from supreme 90 day in their ab zone.

Supreme 90 is really wonderful and gets results.
  • Gulliver22
    Gulliver22 Posts: 1
    Options
    You're probably experiencing a lot of loose skin from the weight loss in that area. Congrats on the progress!
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options

That will reduce fat but not half as much as it will destroy muscle.
    I would avoid a calorie deficit when doing weight training, the only way it should be done is if you eat over 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight and amino acid supplements are included in the diet as this will minimize muscle loss with the calorie deficit diet.

If muscle loss is a goal then by all means ignore but for most it is not a goal especially considering that less muscle = a lower metabolic rate.

EDIT - The reason for the muscle loss would be that you are tearing/damaging muscle fibres with weight training far more than simply doing cardio especially if it is complete hypertrophy weight workouts.
    Without adequate protein and arguably calories their will not be enough nutrition particularly protein to allow the muscles to recover and grow.
    Calorie deficit = catabolic state and calorie surplus = anabolic state.

Oh good lord the lady just asked for some simple advice not the ins and outs of muscle gain/deficits/protein intake. Don't over complicate things for her. She needs to carry on losing fat whilst maintaining any muscle she has....hence weight training on a deficit. She may not add muscle but she will look a lot better than trying to lose just doing cardio alone...would you not agree?