Any Native American success stories?

Options

Replies

• kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 424
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm Oglala Lakota, and my family is from Pine Ridge, South Dakota (no hate please! :tongue: )

I'm definitely still a work in progress. I was able to lose close to 40 lbs last year but I ended up gaining most of it back because I lost my mojo between work and personal issues. I'm trying at it again. Nice to see other natives on MFP!

Friend requests are welcome!
  • MizAngie
    MizAngie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Half cree half irish from the NWT Canada,
    Gained alot of weight in the last 3 years and for the last 6 weeks Im chipping away at getting it all off again. Down 27 lbs.
  • LifeChanged2000
    LifeChanged2000 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You all look so amazing. I am not native (hispanic/Italian) instead. My best friend is Paiute and Lakota though and I remember when she lost all her weight (180-115). She is stunning either way, and now she is a huge athletic nut that I have to keep up with. LOL. I just wanted to say "Great Job" everyone and keep up the hard work and dedication!
  • MzBeckie
    MzBeckie Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    So nice to see more Natives post on here! You all look wonderful and good jobs on the weight loss. Feel free to add me if you'd like. I have a long ways to go yet but I'll get there. :)
  • Oiebruadar
    Options
    Half Cherokee, half Irish here. I've been on and off the wagon for about three years now. Total pounds lost has been around 30, though I'm looking to lose 27 more! Just started doing the Couch to 5K program (getting up suuuuuper early in the morning has been a challenge!) Good luck, everyone!

Starting weight: 187
    Current weight: 157
    Goal weight:130
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    h5esF5q.jpg

Still have a long way to go. But it's a start.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    My father is full Navajo. I've been on this site and trying to slim down off and on since January of last year, taking "maintaining" breaks during college finals and work adjusting. I've lost a total of 31.5 lbs with about 14 more to go.

Starting weight: 170.5
    Current weight: 139
    Goal" 125
  • wpbmommy1
    wpbmommy1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm not Native (I think I'm West Indian/British Honduran...long story...I'm adopted) anyway I just wanted to comment to say all of the pics are great!
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100% Native American, but I've got Ojibwe on my mother's side. I've lost just shy of 45 pounds since starting this on January 1, 2012. Still working on it, and VERY glad to see so many success stories!
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    h5esF5q.jpg

Still have a long way to go. But it's a start.

Well done! Huge difference :)
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    mfp.jpg

No change to my bust.
    1" lost on my band
    2" lost on my waist
    2.5" lost on my hipbone (My belly)
    0.5" lost on my butt

FIRST PIC: 146lbs
    37" Bust
    32" Band
    31" Waist
    37" Hipbone
    39" Butt

SECOND PIC: 140lbs
    37" Bust
    31" Band
    29" Waist
    34.5" Hipbone
    38.5" Butt:
  • traceface71
    traceface71 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Cool thread!

I'm 1/2 Passamaquoddy! Anyone ever heard of us? Lol, probably not...it's a Maine tribe, people of the dawn!

Anywho, I've officially lost 40lbs since mid Aug. I've fallen off the wagon a few times but always get back on and try not to beat myself up too much about it. Recently, I've increased my calories and started working out. My favorite trainer is very pro-lifting and I'm looking forward to some killer arms in the future!
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    Bump

+

Dec 2012 vs. July 2013
    148lbs (post-bulk) vs. 140lbs (cut in progress).

My shoulders/arms have become more defined now that there's less fat covering them, and I lost a lot of fat on my lower back! My butt seems firmer too :)

81db3eb1-c719-4e09-9184-e04e6be8b70e.jpg
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    Cool thread!

I'm 1/2 Passamaquoddy! Anyone ever heard of us? Lol, probably not...it's a Maine tribe, people of the dawn!

Anywho, I've officially lost 40lbs since mid Aug. I've fallen off the wagon a few times but always get back on and try not to beat myself up too much about it. Recently, I've increased my calories and started working out. My favorite trainer is very pro-lifting and I'm looking forward to some killer arms in the future!

Congrats on the 40lbs loss! And I bet you'll really enjoy power lifting :) Isn't it great when you get to increase calories? It feels like so much more freedom!
  • MzBeckie
    MzBeckie Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say Hello and Good morning! I'm getting off work pretty soon but wanted to start my logging again. Ii am having a terrible time sticking to this but I keep on trying. Hopefully this time, I will stick to my goals. :)
    You all look good and keep up the good work.
  • FancyGirl7
    FancyGirl7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Osiyo! I'm Cherokee (on both sides) and I'm just starting my journey to success. (I'll get there, though!) It's so nice seeing other Native Americans on this site! :heart: I'm not fluent in speaking Cherokee, but my Great Aunt managed to teach me the important words before she passed on. :wink: My Grandpa refused to speak Cherokee even though that was his native language because he was "forcibly encouraged" in school to never speak it. Therefore, my mother never learned, and I had to learn what little I know by attending Cherokee language classes. It's great meeting all of you! Feel free to add me if you'd like to encourage each other on this journey to success! Wado!
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Anna_Joys_Journey Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm mostly a mutt...but there is a drop it two of Cherokee in there. :)
    My story is still slowly being written...I'll post pictures in a few weeks!
  • Mom2ATM
    Mom2ATM Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Seneca & Mohawk on my dads side, just started my journey..........yet again, in may after giving birth to our 4th child, our 2nd son. We lost our first son 5.5 years ago to a heart defect but you could 100% see the native in him (my hubby has native too) weird how that happened. Anyway, Im on my LAST try to lose this stupid weight!! I have a LOT to lose, I gained ALL my weight with my pregnancies. I gained 100lbs with my first daughter, lost 50, got pg gained 50, lost 50 got pg gained 50, lost 15 and got pg with our last and gained 30, and haven't lost a lb since having him!! You know most women lost weight after having babies.. I lost nothing!! not one lb and he weighed 8lbs 6 oz :/ strange lol

anyway yeah that's me in nutshell. Things finally clicked today though
  • sassymanatee
    sassymanatee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm half Cherokee, but I feel like I'm so early in my story to really talk about success. I have been fitting in my old jeans from college and fitting on my favorite roller coasters. I'm also much happier and have better stamina at work. Other than that, it's just the beginning and I have a long road to go.
  • iorahkwano
    Options
    Bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!