Should I ignore the scale or change my habits?

Options
I started my journey about 3 months ago at 5'5" and 155 lbs. I joined the gym a month ago and have been working out 4 times a week for an hour (30 min cardio, 30 mon strength training) and I do 30 mins cardio on days 5 and 6 with one rest day, Sunday. I've also been hitting my calorie goal and eating good, healthy foods. I feel like I'm working my butt off and getting nowhere.

It seems that once I hit the gym, my weight loss stalled. I've been at 147 lbs for almost a month, an my goal is 130 lbs. I discovered today tht I've been reading my scale wrong - I was reading it as 143 lbs. So, now I'm super discouraged and bummed out. I was so sure I lost this week.

I'd like to think I'm losing fat an gaining muscle, but I'm not lifting very heavy weights and it's only been a month. I didn't take measurements at 155 lbs, so I have nothing to compare to. Should I ignore the scale and keep doing what I'm doing or is it more likely that I'm not doing enough to lose the weight?

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I would take pictures/measurements right now, and then keep doing what you're doing for another month. At the end of the month, if the scale doesn't move again, check the pictures/measurements. You'll probably see a difference there. If there's no difference there either, it may be time to change something.

Also, are you sure you're eating enough? MFP is set up for you to eat back your exercise calories, so if you're working out for an hour, make sure you're eating at least most of those calories back.

It sounds like you're doing everything right, just be patient!
  • piercedarachne
    Options
    You should start to see changes in how your clothes fit (especially pants) even if you didn't take measurements. It may be time to ignore the scale for a bit and just make sure that you are eating well and seeing how your body shape is changing.
  • C_Lopez
    C_Lopez Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel!! Hate that I bust my *kitten* at the gym and the scale doesn't show what you want to see!!! Grrr!! I would not go by the scale It's too stressful. I go by my measurements! Plus I fit better into my clothes too! So I'm losing inches and fat It's just not going to show up on the scale because weight is still weight! Keep doing what your doing and just try on some clothes and take a look at yourself!!