Looking for a new protein bar

Options
emseedubya
emseedubya Posts: 15 Member
Okay, so what's your favorite protein bar?

I have been eating an Atkins Advantage Brownie Bar every day as part of my diet because, with a cup of coffee, it keeps me full for 6 hours and doesn't taste much like a protein bar at all. Except they are almost FIVE dollars each and it is starting to add up. I am a creature of habit and really enjoy my routine of having my bar and my coffee every morning, and my husband says if it helps curb my cravings and lose weight then it is worth the price but I still feel guilty and would like to try to find something cheaper.

I live in a rural area and don't have a lot of options locally, so I thought I'd ask a wider audience what tastes good before doing too much trial and error. I have tried the plain chocolate atkins bar and the mint chocolate atkins bar but didn't like them as much.

I'm shooting for 200-230 calories per bar because my current bar has 220 calories. Some of the other ones I thought looked good at the store have like 400 calories in them!! Not really what I'm looking for. It doesn't have to be low carb either, I only chose the Atkins one because it tastes the best. Thanks for any opinions!

Replies

• EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Try Broccoli.
  • xtrasmall
    xtrasmall Posts: 66
    Options
    um questbar natural coconutcashew flavor or cookiedough flavor from gnc.. im gona try the luna bar cookie dough one soon cuz i used to love their smores flavor. the vega brand saviseed ones are super healthy n filling. i honestly much prefer oatmeal though even instant is much more filling than a protein bar usually like bakery on main chia brand or betteroats brand oatfit or organic bobs red mill 2. ok hope i helped! but the atkins brownie bar does sound yum haha http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com/2012/07/16/the-5-best-and-worst-nutrition-bars/
  • koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    um questbar natural coconutcashew flavor or cookiedough flavor from gnc.. im gona try the luna bar cookie dough one soon cuz i used to love their smores flavor. the vega brand saviseed ones are super healthy n filling. i honestly much prefer oatmeal though even instant is much more filling than a protein bar usually like bakery on main chia brand or betteroats brand oatfit or organic bobs red mill 2. ok hope i helped!

quest for the WIN!! they're super good, awesome microwaved for 9seconds, they taste like dessert. and they have like 5 ingredients.
  • emseedubya
    emseedubya Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ok awesome! Doesn't take much to sell me. I just googled the quest bars and OMG the flavors! I can't wait to try them, I'm so glad I thought to ask this here. I'm also really happy about the simplified recipe. The label on the Atkins bars read pretty scary. But for a single bar and a cuppa to keep me full for 6 hours or more I haven't questioned it!

I have eaten oats in the past for breakfast, but on their own they are nowhere near as filling as this bar is for me. All of our metabolisms respond to different foods in different ways I guess!

Also, to the wise *kitten* who is telling me to eat broccoli; I have done the whole Vegan Eat to Leave vegetarian clean raw natural hippy dippy granola "lifestyle" diet. I lost 30 lbs doing that. But for some of us that's just not a realistic way to eat for the next 70 years I hopefully have left on this earth. So try a little live and let live for crying out loud.
  • estherlion
    estherlion Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Funny because i am the same way as you. My coffee and bar is what i have every morning. I can't stomach the thought of salty eggs in the morning. I ate nature valley granola bars for years and tried different ones too. I say stick to the adkins bars. You get what you pay for. The other bars i like are the zone bars, i can't remember the flavor, chocolate something. My fav adkins bars are the mudslide and chocolate coconut. I'll have to try the quest bars.
  • mokoko123
    mokoko123 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'll add another vote for the Quest Natural bars - the banana, lemon, and choco pb are my favs!
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I like the quest as well...good luck!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Quest bar! Peanut Butter Supreme is super good which makes me full for hours.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Quest bar cookie dough!!!
  • shikiwiki13
    shikiwiki13 Posts: 16
    Options
    Think thin bars are awesome! They have 20 grams of protein and about 230-240 calories per bar!
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Another one for Quest Bars! I like all their flavors!
  • dixielawgirl
    dixielawgirl Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Quest bars! Love them

Luna protein for my backup option!
  • grundylady
    grundylady Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've never had a quest bar - might have to try one....but the Luna Protein bars are yummy. So far I have had Cookie Dough and Chocolate Mint. Only 170 calories each.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Been eating Quest bars for 15 months. Awesome.