Emotional Eater... S.O.S

Options
I'm such an emotional eater.. here I am at work and not a lot is going on... I'm not hungry but I want to eat. I do this at home too it is completely ridiculous. Its like I can't resist the urge to eat something, anything and KNOWING this I give in at times and eat because I'm sad/mad/bored/lonely. Its not as easy as saying Hey, don't do that... I can't explain it. I've done well with it the first 2 and a half months but now... I cave to everything in site... how have you helped control your emotional eating urges at home, work, and when out with friends?

Replies

• Lola824
    Lola824 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I struggle with this as well. I was doing so well and yesterday I could not stop eating buffalo chicken dip with chips, it was like crack. I know how to eat, but it's just so hard when I'm anxious or tired. I can control this alot of times, just makes me so mad I still do it! Grrrr......
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge boredom eater. I try to make myself log everything before I put it in my mouth. A lot of times, seeing the calories it's going to cost me staring me in the face is enough to change my mind. If not, at least I know how many I have left and can adjust my day accordingly.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I posted a longish post on a similar thread recently, so I'll link to that here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/997676-stress-eating

Additionally, I've found that just logging everything has really helped. Any time I get the urge to eat something unplanned, I log it and see how many calories it would be, and can then make a more logical decision about whether it's worth it or not.

Also, just making sure I am eating enough in general. A small deficit works much better for me in this respect. My overeating issues have never really been about physical hunger, but adding real physical hunger because of a large calorie deficit tends to make things worse.

With regards to boredom eating, I think a lot of it is just about creating new habits. Find other distractions.
  • Harlequinndancer
    Harlequinndancer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I too have this issue. Finding the right distraction helps. I've learned that reading a book isn't enough but I have to do something physical like walk or cleaning etc. At least the activity helps with the workout count lol
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Try to find something you are interest in and take active approach to learning it. A language, a school topic, a book that people say is great but you've never been bothered to read it. Do something!
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Google 'Geneen Roth' and her books, especially 'Women, Food and God, (not as religious as it sounds)...her book really helped me get a handle on my emotional eating. Also the book "Unteathered Soul" is an excellent read to help you sort out all the lies and crap your mind stirs that drives emotional eating. If you can calm the mind and learn to handle emotions as they come up, you will be well on your way to breaking your addiction to food.
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Just knowing that I have to log everything, or mostly everything, makes it so I don't just eat because I'm bored. If I eat something and don't log it, I feel guilty, and I don't like feeling guilty for eating something I didn't really need.
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge boredom eater. I try to make myself log everything before I put it in my mouth. A lot of times, seeing the calories it's going to cost me staring me in the face is enough to change my mind. If not, at least I know how many I have left and can adjust my day accordingly.

I do this too and it works really well. Or if I really am going to eat out of boredom I make it a snack that I really can't/don't want to eat a lot of. For example, plain, raw stalky veggies. Yes they are good and I do enjoy them, but more than a cup is not appetizing.
  • krystleneal
    krystleneal Posts: 12
    Options
    I eat when I'm bored and my mind has tricked me into thinking I must eat if I'm watching a movie. I first log what I want to eat. If the calorie content doesn't scare me away then I measure out ONE serving size and put the food back. If I am still "hungry" then I force myself to not go back for seconds but move onto a different food. I then measure out one serving size of that. Eventually, I become too lazy to measure out anymore serving sizes. Haha Kind of pathetic, but it totally works for me!
  • lambchoplewis
    lambchoplewis Posts: 797
    Options
    I eat when I am bored also so this must be more "normal" than we think!! I have started weighing myself every day (very controversial) so I have to face the scale in the morning after stuffing things in my mouth. I know I can gain 2-3 lbs in one day when on plan but... this is water weight. I then record weight, exercise and food for the day. At the end of day, I put anything I have eaten extra into diary. I do binge every now and then but it is less and if I do, I get right back on track and make sure to get the excess lbs off before it become a week, a month etc of eating and gaining.
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am also an emotional eater; when I am stressed I find myself compulsively snacking.
  • TabithaMichelle85
    TabithaMichelle85 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments... I'm glad to see that I am not alone :-)
  • lauraleighsm
    lauraleighsm Posts: 167
    Options
    I SUCK at this! I'm usually okay during the day, but by the time I get my kiddos to bed I'm like "oooooo...reward time!" Food is a treat to me.

The only thing that has worked for me is to help stave off the urges. I make homemade larabars with dates and cashews and peanut butter. I sprinkle a few chocolate chips in it too and use it as a spread on my bread. The dates are sweet and help me not get the crazy urges for sweets.

And as another poster said, check the calories FIRST! Also, for some reason I think of this quote from Posh Spice or whatever her name is. Media asked her about her weight and she said that nothing tastes as good as skinny. At first I thought, she's a *kitten*... and then...I thought...she's right! :)