Squash! Where have you been all my life?

Options
shorerider
shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
I tried squash today for the first time in my life----and I LOVED IT!

Man, it was good! A guy at church gave me some he grew in his garden--yellow squash--and I fried it with some onions. YUMMY!

And, I can't believe how low in calories, and carbs, and sodium it is--it's like a wonder food!

Any got any good recipes for squash to share?

Replies

• shorerider
    Options
    I tried squash today for the first time in my life----and I LOVED IT!

Man, it was good! A guy at church gave me some he grew in his garden--yellow squash--and I fried it with some onions. YUMMY!

And, I can't believe how low in calories, and carbs, and sodium it is--it's like a wonder food!

Any got any good recipes for squash to share?
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    :smile: Grill with some low or no cal dressing dabbed on. Or spices (I love curry).
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    SOUP! Sautee onions, garlic, ginger. Add in chunks of squash, carrot, lime & cilantro, tomato, simmer in veg stock then puree when cooked through. Season with pepper. SOOO tasty!
  • shorerider
    Options
    :smile: Grill with some low or no cal dressing dabbed on. Or spices (I love curry).

Curry--on squash? We love curry but didn't think of putting it on squash--will definitely have to try that!
  • lsalazarii
    lsalazarii Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    cut into chunks, cut a very slices of onion, mix with a sprinkle or two of olive, a sprinkle of salt and pepper and put in a 450 degree oven for about 20 minutes. YUM
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I love it. It is also great grilled. Just cut big slices and sprinkle some garlic salt on it and grill away! It is fabulous. I also love squash casserole. It adds a few calories to it but man is it yummy!

I have a great recipe for stuffed zucchini and you could probably use it with yellow squash as well. It you want it let me know and I will type it up!
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash is awesome in place of real pasta. You just cook, shread, top with your fav sauce and serve!
  • shorerider
    Options
    WOW!

The possibilities seem endless! Spaghetti squash, stuffed squash, grilled squash!

I feel like Bubba in Forrest Gump!

d030.gif

Send some recipes my way for that stuffed squash--we're getting some more today and trying it grilled.

You know, I realized that yesterday I had no meat at all! I had pasta for lunch and squash for dinner--I can't remember a day before then that I had no meat for the whole day!

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!! MFP is ruining my bad eating habits! :tongue:
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I use zucchini, but you can do this with squash as well....and my 6-year old loves it!

Cut into pieces and fry in 1 TBSP olive oil. After it gets really soft and browned, put it in a pan, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake until cheese melts (about 10-15 min at 190 C). I even let the cheese get a little crunchy sometimes.

If you don't have time to bake it, you can add a spoon or two of flour to the frying pan and it will coat it and get crunchy that way, too.

KT
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    If you like summer squash and zuchinni, try eggplant as well. I'm not sure on the calories, but it can't be much more than squash. Eggplant spritzed with veg oil and s/p. Mmmmmm....

That's whats on for tonight.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who thought this thread was about the sport at first? Man do I feel dumb :blushing:
  • bamabelle
    bamabelle Posts: 14
    Options
    Slice it up and eat it raw - like cucumber slices - on your salad.

Or slice it up with some cucumbers, celery and carrots and serve it with some low-fat dip.

Slice it length wise, lightly spray with olive-oil Pam and broil on both sides in the oven for about a minute.

Cut it into chunks and toss it into your favorite stir fry.

My husband's favorite way to eat it is to have it sliced really thin, along with a thin sliced onion, place in enough water to cover along with cracked black pepper and a little salt and boil until tender. (I can't stand it this way but he loves it!)
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I cut up yellow and green squash, saute it in a little olive oil and then dump a can of diced tomatoes in and let it simmer. Delicious!! Sometimes I add eggplant and okra.

Spaghetti squash is one of my favorite squashes! While it cooks saute some yellow squash a red onion, maybe a little tomato. Then mix up some italian dressing (Good Sensations is my favorite). I skip the olive oil or only use 1/3 of what is called for. Once the spaghetti squash is done peel out the "noodles", add the yellow squash mixture, pour on the italian dressing and YUM!! Good hot or cold :love:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who thought this thread was about the sport at first? Man do I feel dumb :blushing:

:laugh: :laugh: You're not dumb but you're probably the only one who thought it was about the sport at first. :laugh: :laugh: Just kidding about being the only one. There may have been others who just didn't post.
  • kaiyacali
    kaiyacali Posts: 175
    Options
    Squash Fries! Yum!

Cut into french fry shapes, little olive oil, some sea salts, bake at 350 for about 20 mins or till golden brown!
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options

I thought of the sport first too because I couldn't imagine someone going their whole life without eating squash. Where I'm from in NC we live on the stuff in the summer. I actually picked some out of my garden last night along with a big pot of green beans. Got to love a garden. :smile: Had to smile when she said she got it from someone at church. During the summer at our church there are always baskets and bags of veggies in the foyer that people bring to give to whoever wants them.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Squash Fries! Yum!

Cut into french fry shapes, little olive oil, some sea salts, bake at 350 for about 20 mins or till golden brown!

WOW--that sounds great!
  • shorerider
    Options
    I thought of the sport first too because I couldn't imagine someone going their whole life without eating squash. Where I'm from in NC we live on the stuff in the summer. I actually picked some out of my garden last night along with a big pot of green beans. Got to love a garden. :smile: Had to smile when she said she got it from someone at church. During the summer at our church there are always baskets and bags of veggies in the foyer that people bring to give to whoever wants them.

My mom always cooked it but I never tried it. I had one of those moms who never made each try stuff if we didn't want to, so I came to love a lot of foods late in life. Like hamburgers, corn, green beans, squash, lasagna, rice, salads, etc. etc. etc. My mom was a great cook but knew 2 main dishes and that was it--meat and potatoes!
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I thought squash the sport too.....

mmmmmm squash

jackie
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    How in the world have you managed to live in the south and not try squash until now? Unfortunately the best southern recipe is far from healthy. Fried Squash is dipped in egg, rolled in seasoned flour and then fried in bacon grease. (of course, that could make leather taste good).

However, it's also great in stir fries. Try it with tomato, onion, and asparagus....yum! It's also good raw with dip or just in salads.

Stuffed squash: rice, spinach, portabello mushroom and fontina cheese stuffed in the cavity and then baked with tomato sauce.