desk jobs?

Options
jannessy
jannessy Posts: 23 Member
does any one else work 40 hrs or more and what do you do to try to stay active i take stairs now and walk on my breaks and lunch.

Replies

• h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job - do 45+ hours per week. I'm nearly 43. I Goto to gym for 1 - 1.5 hours after work 2-3 times per week to do interval training sprints & steady steady running plus heavy weight training each session, plus Saturday and Sunday sessions.
  • jimithegreek
    Options
    Desk job for me as well. I do cardio/weights 6 days a week. And yes....always take the stairs at work.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job and do my workout during my workday to take advantage of daycare. I either run on lunch or do body weight excercises from You Are Your Own Gym in my office if my time is limited.
  • pbrinnm
    pbrinnm Posts: 39
    Options
    I work from my house and it's a 40+ hours/week desk job. Strength training twice a week with a trainer during lunch and cardio 5-6 days a week. Weekend cardio is always twice as long/far than during the week. I keep a step in my office and use it during virtual meetings (at least twice a week usually last 60 minutes). No one has mentioned that I sound as though I'm exercising.

I also used the step when I worked in a brick and mortar office. It worked because I had my own office. I don't know if it would have worked if I had a cubicle or a shared office space.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job as well. I get up to stretch and walk to the bathroom and break room, but other than that, not so much inside the office.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:30am and run or bike for an hour before I shower and get ready for work. I try be active at lunch, walking to the grogery store, etc. With my life, I really don't have time after work to work out so I do it first thing.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I work 45+ hours a week from home at a desk/computer job. I dont do much in the way of exercise while at work because my office is 20 feet from any room in my house. I do pace when I talk on the phone, thats about it.

For my fitness routine, I workout with a trainer 4 days a week and do my own activities 2 more days. When I have to leave the house, I walk as much as I can and take stairs when possible. Mostly though, I get my fitness in during my workouts.
  • jannessy
    Options
    good too see you guys still make time to get cardio in thats what im deff going to do. i recently started bring my 5 pound wieghts to work which some co workers think its silly and try to tempt me with donuts and such i still say no in a polite way.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I started a desk job for the 1st time in my life 9 mos ago..............weight has creeped on. I have to make some changes. Getting up at 5AM to exercise before work and taking advantage of my lunch by taking a walk.

MOTIVATION please.
  • rhondajoco
    rhondajoco Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about the weight slowly creeping up on you when you've been accustomed to a fairly physical job and suddenly switch to something completely sedentary. I also work 40 hrs at a desk job and another 1-2 hours per day studying at home in the evening. At work, I try to get up as often as I can and am going to try to start walking on my lunch break. At home, I sit on a stability ball and keep handweights nearby. It isn't much but it helps some.
    I'm also trying to squeeze in brisk walks or jobs for at least 10 mins at a time in the morning and evening whenever I can. I'm watching this thread with interest for more great ideas.
  • amdarosa619
    amdarosa619 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to get in legitimate exercise during my work day as well. anything more than a 10 minute brisk walk is unlikely, as I have short breaks and dont want to return to the office stinky.

I do my best to exercise before work. 6am bootcamps, light 20 min jog, or on the weekends. After work, it's hard for me to muster up the will to work out. sometimes ill go for a jog, or do a jillian michaels video, but its not consistent. early mornings are my favorite - they get you going, give you energy, and its said will reduce your appetite throughout the day.
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    I work a 40 hour a week desk job and I work out every other morning and during lunch every day (We have a gym ant work.) I take the dog for a walk when I get home, I take the stairs, I drink lots of water so I have to take lots of trips to the bathroom.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I walk on my lunch break as well, and try to find reasons to get up and walk around. I hate sitting at my desk all day. I also workout after work and on weekends. Currently doing Insanity (going in to week 8 tomorrow) and started training for some running events later this year :).
  • jannessy
    Options
    awesome i actually just recieved insanity and will be starting that today.
  • AprilSchulte10
    AprilSchulte10 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have peddlesfor under my desk that i use duringthe day
  • ayankeefan51
    ayankeefan51 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I also work a desk job for 40 hours a week and my headquarters just moved to a new campus that they built for the company. So I've been running up our stairs (5 floors) twice a day with my friend since we moved there in March. We also have a walking trail so I use that from time to time as well. I mainly workout every night with cardio/weights for exercise as well as softball.
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I work 40 hours a week at a desk job as well. Get up as often as I can to move around and stretch. I have also been known to do squats at my desk on occasion. Other than that I do take the stairs a few times a day (we are only on the second floor), I do a run before work almost everyday and aim to do body resistant exercises a few days a week after work. I try to stay busy in the evenings to keep me moving and do long cardio on the weekends.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Yep.

My office has a park across the street that's 1/3 mi. around. I take a couple of 15 min walking breaks a day. I need it and was doing it long before trying to lose weight. If I'm not careful, I develop tennis elbow from typing and I get a sore lower back from the constant sitting.

I also walk my dog for 30min on my lunch break and do lifting once a week on the weekend.

I just bought the "You are your own gym" app and am interested in trying it at work as well as at home.
  • tonyanoemy
    tonyanoemy Posts: 15
    Options
    That's me too. Luckily my gym is next door and my lunch break is flexible enough that if I am late coming back, nobody cares.
  • tonyanoemy
    tonyanoemy Posts: 15
    Options
    what about switching out your desk chair for one of those big balls? has anyone tried it?