Gaining it back..

Options
I don't need any advice, just want to get it off my chest and see if anyone else has stories to share.

I started my weight loss journey in March 2012, and managed to lose a huge 42lbs! I am 5'5", started at 196lbs and managed to get down to 154lbs.

This was me then, I still felt huge and had a lot of self esteem issues, but I felt a lot better than I do now, and my clothes fit so nicely.

74eb9f22c54811e29c2822000a1fbe4c_7.jpg

I didn't exercise to lose weight (yes, I know. Please spare me) but I controlled my calories to an acceptable level and changed my lifestyle. It was sustainable and I was doing really, really well. However, a large part of my initial weight gain is emotional problems and how I use food to soothe it. Whenever something changes in my life, I struggle.

I moved out of my parental home in July 2012, and the change was hard for me. I struggled a lot with losing weight, and I was really scared. I was either gaining or staying the same. Eventually, though, I pulled up my big girl socks and got right back on track, eventually managing to get down to 154lbs (I was about 170 when I moved out).

In November, I started 'seeing' someone, got on contraception and things got REAL hard for me. I was trying to juggle college, changing jobs nearly every month and finances were hard (I support myself). I started to gain because my eating was out of control. First it was 156lbs, then it was going up and up. I'd get scared and get back on track, losing 2-5lbs, then fall off again and gain that back plus more. I didn't track properly, and became so reckless. My progress graph looked like this;

Woman+Showing+Progress_Chart.jpg.

Now, I am 176lbs and terrified. I am only 20lbs away from my starting weight. This is the same skirt, and look how much wider I am :( (apologies for the mirror pics, lol)

5a54a814c54511e2891f22000a1f931b_7.jpg

I honestly do not need advice. I know how to do it, what to do and have read practically every bit of advice, hints and tips out there. The problem is within, and nobody can really help with that. I just don't give up, I'm gonna keep trying until it snaps inside my brain again and I just DO IT like I was before. I don't wanna be a statistic, one of the many who lose weight and gain it back, especially not with interest.

Anyone else have stories to share?

Thanks for listening.

Replies

• jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Even I too have similar story with a bit of modification. ...
    Height 165 cms and weight at present is 78 kgs.....
    I lost my weight to 65 kgs with exercise n diet in just 3 months . After that my weight stalled and increased slowly in a span of 2 years inspite of exervising regularly n following proper diet and I reached more than my original weihht and weigh 78 kgs... and I am still struggling to figure out how to reduce my weight. ... playing with my numbers as of now..... would require some advice
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I think this is a very familiar story for many people who are overweight so don't be too hard on yourself. The only thing I can say is knowing how to take it off is one thing and knowing how to keep it off is a whole other party. It might take lots of looking at just why your diet goes to the wall when you are stressed or busy and what it took to kick you back into touch again.

Fundamentally, if you can recognise, understand and respond to things that make you stop dieting you've a good start at least.

i.e I eat cos I'm stressed. What can I do instead of eating as a response to stress, how can I make that response a habit instead of food a habit.

Also what does it take to make me eat better again.

I got on the scale and I was HYOOGE!!

i.e When I'm 'dieting' I weigh regularly, when I fall off the wagon I avoid the scales. So if you can discipline yourself to weigh every Friday morning at 07:00 regardless then you might at least get back on track more quickly when you start to slip.

There are lots of examples and it is different for everyone, I only use these from my own experience.

Remember alcoholics are still alcoholics even when they've been 10 years sober. Chocolate is not quite the same thing but turning food habits around is no easy task!!

Good luck Hon. Keep on believing!!
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    When I moved out of home at 19 I was 65kg. I also used the parents money for food and worked out 3 hours a day. I left home and got no exercise between study and work and my wage didnt allow for much quality food. Over 5 years I put on 16kg or about 65 pounds. I went up and down for a while but no more than 2kg at a time. I am a massive emotional eater too. One day I woke up and pulled my socks up. I now write a menu plan for a week and stick to that. I also give myself realistic exercise goals. I exercise on the same days every week and only 3 to 4 times a week. If I do more I hate it and stop all together. I think I will always yoyo but for now I will stick to these strategies.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think you look amazing in the bottom right photo! Wow! :heart:
  • lambchoplewis
    lambchoplewis Posts: 797
    Options

When I'm 'dieting' I weigh regularly, when I fall off the wagon I avoid the scales. So if you can discipline yourself to weigh every Friday morning at 07:00 regardless then you might at least get back on track more quickly when you start to slip.

There are lots of examples and it is different for everyone, I only use these from my own experience.

I am the same way with weight gain. I too avoid scales when I fall off wagon but... I have been weighing myself every morning. This is controversial since you can gain 2-3 lbs in one day while sticking to your plan but... it does keep me from stuffing things in my mouth and I like to see the loss or constant weight. I find that logging weight, putting in food and exercise for the day and reading these motivational posts helps.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Just popping on here quickly cos I have tons of college work to do but just wanna say thank you so much for replying everyone! Also, thank you to the lovely lady who said I look nice in the bottom right picture, it's so appreciated! :flowerforyou: