Running with insect replellant?

Options
meeper123
meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
Lives in Alaska where the state bird is the mosquito lol They are every were and they are out for blood ( uh duh) Can I run in deet? is my question or will sweating cause it to get in my eyes or something awful.

Replies

• JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Run faster so they can't catch you. Sorry...that was lame but funny. Maybe just avoid spraying it near your face/eyes?
  • meeper123
    Options
    yeah reading the instructions it says to spray on your hands then put it on face. lol I actually thought that might work the other day it did NOT lol
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Wear a sweatband along with it to keep it for running into your eyes?
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Run faster so they can't catch you. Sorry...that was lame but funny. Maybe just avoid spraying it near your face/eyes?

That made me laugh.

OP, have you tried the little mosquito repellent clip on fan from Off? I used it on my walks to school last year and don't recall a single bite. Of course, I was walking and not running so the clip stayed on well and I've no clue how it would do with running.

http://www.amazon.com/OFF-71703-Off-Clip-Starter/dp/B0043G63ZS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1369524589&sr=8-2&keywords=off+mosquito+repellent+clip+on

(Hopefully that links works with copy and paste)
  • meeper123
    Options
    I have seen those I thought they looked gemicy but it actually worked that is awesome!
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Try to use a natural repellant on your face. Fresh catnip works if you can get it. Garlic also helps keep bugs away. Or just spray the rest of your body and a hat and then try not to worry about your face since the cloud of chemicals should help keep them away.
  • meeper123
    Options
    Wear a sweatband along with it to keep it for running into your eyes?

slaps her forehead sorry mosquito lol ( kidding) I will do that
  • meeper123
    Options
    Try to use a natural repellant on your face. Fresh catnip works if you can get it. Garlic also helps keep bugs away. Or just spray the rest of your body and a hat and then try not to worry about your face since the cloud of chemicals should help keep them away.

catnip really huh that's cool don't have any of that that cool though didn't know that
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Essential plant oils will repel them and are totally non-toxic. Most health food stores carry essential oils. They are somewhat pricey but last for years if you keep them tightly capped. A recipe for a repellant would be:

3 drops of essential oil of lemon

4 drops of eucalyptus oil

2 drops of oil of oregano

2 drops of olive oil that has been infused with garlic

1 drop of oil of lavender (optional)

Mix and dilute with 1 oz. of vodka and rub onto skin wherever it is exposed.

You will probably smell like a salad--but at least you won't be mistaken for a steak dinner by the biting bugs! :wink:

ETA: P.S. I have heard that catnip is a good repellant (even though you will probably be chased by the neighborhood cats) and Neem oil is excellent but hard to get.

P.P.S. Deet is pretty toxic and sweating just opens your pores wider and your capillaries on the surface of your skin would be wide open to take in a maximum dose.