5:2 diet is it worth doing

Options
Hi there I'm thinking of doing the 5:2 diet and would like some input and some friends to join me so please add me if you doing it or thinking of doing it xxx

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to fear monger, but make sure you research this fully. I've found multiple sources and articles saying that fasting diets aren't good for women. You'll probably get as good of a result with just an overall decreased intake instead of fasting.

Here's one article. There's a lot more out there if you look for them, though: http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/373665/Caveman-fasting-diet-may-leave-women-diabetic
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    My doc's PA (also a dietician) said anything that has you lose fast, doesn't last...it's not fat you are losing and if it is to some degree, will you keep that diet up forever?
    I have seen just in my workplace many dramatic loss's, women wearing sweater dress's at the Xmas party, showing off 30-up weight loss and then 6 months later, it's back and more. One did fasting diet, one did shakes for 2 meals, another WW but no exercise and started to cheat.

I think the less in, more out concept is the best and patience...something I'm always working on. What motivates me is the ones who lose 1-2 pounds every week or so, seem to be keeping it off living better but not dramatically changing food, just habits of eating it.
  • olivias4
    olivias4 Posts: 8
    Options
    I tried the basic 1200-calorie-everyday diet and it did not work for me. It just felt like I could never eat ever. I wasnt losing weight either. I love the five two diet. It lets me indulge some days, and you only need strong willpower two days a week, instead of feeling hungry all the time. You can eat a lot of things like vegetables and chicken and egg whites on fast days, big portions too. I've lost about twelve pounds in the last two and half months doing this. I plan out my weekly calorie intake so that it averages out to about 1200 calories a day, to make sure I don't have too big a caloric deficit.

I love this way of eating and I'm going to stick with it. For me it's not a "fad diet" its a smart new way of spreadimg out my calories for the week, and if it results in good weight loss, even better!

I encourage you to maybe try it out for a week, and if it makes you feel sick or isn't right for you, you'll know. After a fast day though, I only feel empowered and refreshed.

Hope that helps to have a little info from someone pro 5:2!
  • kayblossom9
    kayblossom9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I am currently doing the 5:2 diet. I have been doing it for a little over a month and have lost 12. It hasn't felt like a drastic diet at all and I know all about the dangers of actual "fasting", but for 2 days a week I manage with 3 small carefully calculated meals (including my 5 a day) and I feel satisfied.

The weight loss so far has been around 2lbs a week, not too dramatic, but I'm sure that will slow down as I reach my goal.

Personally I think that the health problems caused by my obesity are far worse than anything that eating 3000 calories less a week can do to me. Nobody has been on this diet long enough to really report on the long term effects, so I say try it, if you're willing to take a gamble.

Fasting has always been a part of human culture, in current religions today and in our ancestry, if there were really any important negative effects I think it would be making headline news!

Just be careful, and don't get too obsessed with it. I've still managed to fit in a few treats on my "days off"! And intend on carrying on!
  • kae_blah
    kae_blah Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    When reading articles is can be hard to get enough details about the studies they are summarising to be able to review them directly When writing about fasting often 5:2 fasting is interchangeably referred to with fasting windows (where all eating is on 8/6/4 hours if the day and the rest of the day is a 'fast'), or longer fasts where calories are restricted below 500 calories for days in a row.

There are other articles on this topic, with a different perspectives:

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/intermittent-fasting-diet.htm

http://fitisafeministissue.wordpress.com/2013/04/03/intermittent-fasting-and-why-it-might-not-work-as-well-for-women/

http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/ (This is about the short eating window version of IF not 5:2 fasting).
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    There is a 5.2 group on MFP where I am sure you will find good advice

BTW, 5.2 is not really aimed at weight loss, it is for long term health benefits, weight loss is a by product
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do Intermittent Fasting, more commonly known as the 8 hour diet. So you only take in calories from 12pm - 8pm. (I do 12-7). That, with a healthy diet + going to the gym and I've lost 20 pounds in a month.

It's pretty good, but my life isn't controlled by food anymore
  • Clemmi17
    Clemmi17 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The 5 :2 diet is great. I've lost 8kg since the 13th March, which I consider to be a steady loss. The 2 'fast' days are not a total fast; you actually eat 500 calories. It has been proven to have many beneficial health effects such as reducing blood sugar and 'bad' cholesterol as well as losing weight. I find it easy to follow and actually enjoy the fast days.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've found it a life changer. Have been doing it since August and intend doing it for the foreseeable future.
    As I'm maintaining I eat at a surplus on the five non-fasting days. It's the projected health benefits that appeal to me.

When I was still losing weight I found it much easier to only have two days a week feeling restricted rather than the drudgery of 7 days a week restriction.

Strongly suggest reading up on it before you start - the book is very interesting.
    There are two groups on here for support and information.
  • Missyb322
    Missyb322 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I started out 3 wks ago and did the 16/8 plan where I ate in a 8hr window and fasted for 16. I did this for 1 wk but liked the concept. The next 2 weeks, I did the 5:2 plan which I'm on my 3rd week. I really like this plan and find it pretty easy to do. My 2 fast days a week are true fast days. I only take in water, tea, or coffee for these 24 hrs. The 5 days a week I try to eat healthy and still watch my caloric intake. I think this will be easy to maintain once I reach my wt loss goal.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8005-5-2-fasting

You'll find lots of info on here. (There's another MFP group as well, but this one tends to be more active)

I've been dong it since January and am very happy with the results, both in terms of weight loss (which is very slow, but steady), my good mood, and my general health (my nails have never been better!)

I just do the vanilla approach of 2 non-consecutive days of 500 cals, and eat around my TDEE the other 5, but everyone finds what works for them, and there are infinite variations.

If you have no underlying factors ( ie you're not pregnant or breastfeeding, diabetic, already lean, have a tendency to disordered eating), then why not try it for a month.
  • Fairlieboy
    Fairlieboy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Melanie & sij are both active supporting others doing the 5:2. My BH (executive director) has been dieting on and off for 30 years. If you diet, you will put on weight. (Measured 2 years after you stop dieting) . So has to be a lifestyle change. The 5;2 looks promising. But early days & the research will take time.
    1. Compliance seems to be higher. I.e. people seem to be able to do it much much longer.
    2. There are demonstrated metabolic improvements. Cholesterol,
    3. Seems to have consistent & slow weight loss
    4. From a personal perspective it allows social without hassle. Removed guilt. Binging. Bad foods. And i was able to get rid of a 6cm around my waist that exercise & careful eating could not.
    My reading around suggests this is probably the easiest & scientific based program around today.