Targeting specific areas?

Options
Right now my workout is running 3 miles 3 times a week and pushups and situps on non-running days.
I'm starting to lose inches faster than pounds which is really my bigger concern, but i want to lose it from my stomach and chest, and right now it's just coming off my already small behind.
I know that situps will strengthen my abdominal muscles, and although i feel stronger i'm not losing inches around the middle.

Are there better workouts than running that will help me lose inches around the middle?

Replies

• lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    try abs of steel and lay off sugar its the bad guy with belly fat
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. It's not physiologically possible. You can spot train with strength, but that is building muscle, not burning fat. The only thing to do for fat burning is to keep up the cardio.

Over the years, I've noticed a trend in my clients that they typically lose off the arms and legs first and then it starts to move toward the middle. This is especially true in women because the body likes to hold on to fat around the middle to cradle a potential baby. I have seen some people who lose in the middle first, but they are few and far between.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Full body workouts are best for fat loss. Circuit training works great.

Pushups, situps, pullups, squats, lunges, twisting exercises....design yourself a workout that uses all of those things and you've got a solid workout that will work pretty much every muscle in your body.
  • jlcanon
    jlcanon Posts: 21
    Options
    I swear by circuit training. It burns the fat while toning muscle. You could do 1000 sit ups a day, but if you don't have cardio in your routine you won't see the muscle under the fat. Spot reducing is a horrible myth that seems to have stuck with people. Learning is the best tool to help yourself.
  • rero
    rero Posts: 24
    Options
    hey, i really suggest weight training for your overall body as well as cardio.

do squats and lunges (with or without weight) to lightly bulk your lower body (believe me my butt is one thing i refuse to lose and thses exercises are great for building/toning up those muscles)

upper body: pushups, bicep curl, tricep dips etc with your own body weight really helps tone.

as for belly fat you gotta do cardio, no getting around that but if you want to tighten there you could try callanetics. its kinda boring but it'll really pull in your abdominals