Eating Less Frequently instead of 6+times a day

Options
lolablitz
lolablitz Posts: 38 Member
I think eating 6 times a day is problematic. I like my coffee and fresh cream in the morning and then two hearty meals following - with chocolate and wine after dinner occasionally. I avoid morning or afternoon snacks and I think that was key to my weight loss journey. I know a lot of people believe in small frequent meals, but I think that can form bad habits. Discuss.

Replies

• akilahleemarie
    akilahleemarie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree...sometimes I end up eating 6 small meals a day...which is eating every few hours...but today was nice...I ate breakfast at 9am and didn't come home until 3pm...so i went 6 hours without eating..and when it's 3pm and you have about 75%-80% of your calories left...its a good feeling :) but yeah I wasn't hungry..for me it always helps being away from home..I never get desperate enough to go to a fast food places.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    The frequent meal myth is just that. It's not going to stoke your metabolism's furnace. Eat the right combination of calories, macronutrients, micronutrients and fiber, but do it in a way that works for you. You like breakfast? Then eat breakfast. You're comfortable not eating until noon? Then don't eat until noon. You want the midnight snack? Enjoy.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with 3 squares
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    The frequent meal myth is just that. It's not going to stoke your metabolism's furnace. Eat the right combination of calories, macronutrients, micronutrients and fiber, but do it in a way that works for you. You like breakfast? Then eat breakfast. You're comfortable not eating until noon? Then don't eat until noon. You want the midnight snack? Enjoy.

^ This. Just eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full and make sure what you're eating suits your nutritional needs.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 to 3 meals away never felt better leaner and stronger:)
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I want breaky, sometimes I don't. I don't force myself to eat (or not eat for that matter.) When I'm hungry, I eat. When Im not, I don't. It's beautifully simple and I don't stress about eating a few almonds ever 2 hours to keep the fire burning... it's just fine!
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Different ways work for different people/schedules. Right now I'm doing two larger meals a day with no snacks and it's working great for me :)
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Great Topic.
    For awhile when I was preparing my body for the changes I was about to make.
    It was necessary for me to eat 6-7 small meals a day.
    I stayed with this until..I became busy in life..it was harder to keep up.
    Recently I started fasting 14-16 hours.
    Im now at a 2-3 meals a day.
    I think if a person knows their body well enough and does proper research its a win win.
  • BackToFree
    BackToFree Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I find my eating style varies from day to day. If I'm at home all day I know I'm prone to boredom eating, so I have one definable meal (dinner) and use the rest of my calories "snacking" for most of the day on healthy foods.

If I'm out for the day and I'm being relatively active I'll eat a good breaky, pack a lunch and have dinner when I get home, and the rest of my cals usually go towards late night snacking, as I snack later if I've had a busy day.
  • linalovekitty
    linalovekitty Posts: 187
    Options
    I do one substantial meal around 11am on my weight loss days and lose more doing that than eating the same amount of food divided throughout the day
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!