Lost lean body mass?

Options
I have a friend that sells Herbalife and she "scanned" me to see what my lean body mass was and percentage of body fat. I do NOT do that program, she was just seeing where I am. I have lost 63lbs in the last 14 months due to busting my butt working out and healthier food choices. Well she rescanned me and it said I lost like 9lbs of lean body mass. I have lost 11 pounds between the first reading and now and that was a little over 3 months ago. I just finished doing Jillians Ripped in 30 and keeping my calories up near 1600-1800 a day. I have also done 30DS among other videos. I had been running a 4-5 days a week but had to stop that for a month due to a nasty chest cold, but otherwise my fitness level has been the same. I know that the "scanner" they have is not that accurate, they attach 2 little things to your and and foot, but in the back of my head I am still concerned I am losing lean body mass. I am losing inches and weight and feel stronger, so should I just brush off the stupid scan, or be concerned a bit about loss of LBM? I I also eat around or over 100g of protein a day.

I am also going to be meeting with a trainer to get me on the path to lifting heavy, but I have to wait until after a wedding I am standing up in June 14th. The dress was just fitted, so I can't lose any inches from now till then.

Thanks and sorry if this is confusing :)

Replies

• thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    So according to the scan you lost 9lbs of LBM and 2lbs of fat? I don't know if JM "counts" as lifting, but even if you were just flailing around on an elliptical and starving yourself that ratio seems way off. I wouldn't worry about it. Those things are verrrry inaccurate.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Depending on the method, it might not mean anything. The combination of "herbalife" and the word "scan" lead me to believe we are not talking about a top-level method of fat estimation. Keep in mind that the "scan" is not actually measuring lean mass. It is estimating body fat % and using that number plus simple arithmetic to derive a lean mass number. Any error/variation in the body fat number will automatically change the "lean mass" number. It is unlikely that you actually lost that much lean mass in that short a time.
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about what those results say if you are working out often and feeling good. Keep doing what you are doing and losing weight! If you are worried about losing LBM start working in a little more strength training and up your protein consumption to ~1 g per pound of LBM.
  • MoosieMooMama
    Options
    entirely possible.

Lyle McDonald talks about this all the time, on his website and in all of his books. BodyRecomposition.com if you are interested in the nitty gritty.

Too much cardio on a deficit can seem like a great thing but is often not. Again, all depends on the deficit.
    Lifting combined with adequate protein on a deficit will spare the most lean body mass. You will always lose a little LBM by losing fat, this is just the way it is but if you eat enough protein and lift, you will lose mostly fat and very little % of LBM.
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    entirely possible.

Lyle McDonald talks about this all the time, on his website and in all of his books. BodyRecomposition.com if you are interested in the nitty gritty.

Too much cardio on a deficit can seem like a great thing but is often not. Again, all depends on the deficit.
    Lifting combined with adequate protein on a deficit will spare the most lean body mass. You will always lose a little LBM by losing fat, this is just the way it is but if you eat enough protein and lift, you will lose mostly fat and very little % of LBM.

Good call! This is what I was suggesting with upping the protein intake.