Gaining weight?!?

Options
I started up MFP again and its been two weeks now and instead of losing weight, I'm gaining!! Why?? This doesn't make any sense. Last time I started I lost 5lbs in my first two weeks. :( this is not helping my motivation to lose weight. It's more frustrating than anything. Has anyone else experienced this?? Am I doing something wrong?? Any help/advice is appreciated! :)

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, you've had some high sodium days recently. That could be causing you to retain water.

Other reasons:
    1. Your monthly cycle
    2. Pregnancy
    3. New exercise routine causing water retention in your muscles
    4. Not accurately counting your calories - do you weigh and measure your food?
  • Amson19
    Amson19 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Monthly cycle - yes. Pregnancy - definitely not lol. Just started Zumba so that could be it. Started weighing my food this week due to last weeks weight gain.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, you've had some high sodium days recently. That could be causing you to retain water.

Other reasons:
    1. Your monthly cycle
    2. Pregnancy
    3. New exercise routine causing water retention in your muscles
    4. Not accurately counting your calories - do you weigh and measure your food?

^ This, but I'm going to lean towards #4 because it is such a common mistake.
  • LoraF83
    Options
    Monthly cycle - yes. Pregnancy - definitely not lol. Just started Zumba so that could be it. Started weighing my food this week due to last weeks weight gain.

Then, I'm voting #1.

Mother Nature is a b*tch. Wait it out a week or two and it should go down.

Keep weighing and measuring your food too.
  • CoachMaxima
    Options
    Don't lost motivation....dont pay much mind to the numbers on the scale...they'll trick you and yes kill your motivation.

I didnt really start to notice a big change and I started to drink my Shakeology and start keeping track of my measurements.

Measure youself every 1 or 2 weeks...if you're eating well and being very active you WILL see a difference. So take your measurements, take a BEFORE pic, eat well and stay active....you'll be great!

Message me if you wanna know about Shakeology....it has REALLY helped me and many others.
  • LoraF83
    Options
    Don't lost motivation....dont pay much mind to the numbers on the scale...they'll trick you and yes kill your motivation.

I didnt really start to notice a big change and I started to drink my Shakeology and start keeping track of my measurements.

Measure youself every 1 or 2 weeks...if you're eating well and being very active you WILL see a difference. So take your measurements, take a BEFORE pic, eat well and stay active....you'll be great!

Message me if you wanna know about Shakeology....it has REALLY helped me and many others.

You don't need to do this to lose weight.
  • ladymissdana
    ladymissdana Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I can gain up to 10lbs at my cycle and my weight fluctuates wildly from day to day around that time or during ovulation, so could be that. At first I lost 6lbs and haven't lost anything in weeks, and it is effecting my motivation too, I've even started skipping days on MFP so I know how it feels. I'd tell you not to lose faith so I am going to tell myself that too :)
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

I'm assuming you mean you don't need Shakeology to lose weight? Which I agree with.. But taking measurements and progress photos is a better way to see how you're doing. Like previously mentioned, the scale can lie to you, and doesn't tell you what you're losing, whether that's fat or muscle or water or whatnot. If you're losing inches, you're headed in the right direction!
  • LoraF83
    Options

I'm assuming you mean you don't need Shakeology to lose weight? Which I agree with.. But taking measurements and progress photos is a better way to see how you're doing. Like previously mentioned, the scale can lie to you, and doesn't tell you what you're losing, whether that's fat or muscle or water or whatnot. If you're losing inches, you're headed in the right direction!

Yes, sorry, I should have been more specific.

Take measurements and photos for sure.

You don't need to spend a lot of money on MLM products that don't have any real benefit (other than creating a calorie deficit, which you can accomplish with food).