low impact?

Options
So I went to the doctor today about my allergies and asked about this cracking sound I have in my knee when I extend it and how when I swim laps it feels sometimes like I've twisted it. I was given a knee brace as well as an ankle brace and told to stick to low impact exercises and that when I swim laps I'm to favor my other leg to propel me through the water. Problem is I don't really know what low impact exercises are. I started hip hop ab's before my allergies decided to turn into a sinus infection and that involves a lot of bouncing and jumping around. HELP!

Replies

• Danielle_Style
    Danielle_Style Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Technically, the definition of low impact is that one foot is always on the ground. So anything involving lots of jumping would not be considered "low impact."
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    I would consider doing the elliptical machine. You can work out your lower and upper body with low impact cardio. The important bit is that it is not a weight bearing exercise, so it should be easy on your joints.
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone Walk at Home dvds! Her voice is kind of annoying, but I just play music or listen to the news over her. You can find some videos on YouTube!
  • Lola824
    Lola824 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone Walk at Home dvds! Her voice is kind of annoying, but I just play music or listen to the news over her. You can find some videos on YouTube!

I do these when I need low impact and love the workouts, but I agree she can be kind of annoying, I have lost weight with the workouts so its all good :)
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You might want to walk, do yoga, lift weights, hula hoop, belly dance....whew! :wink:
  • Momm22boys
    Momm22boys Posts: 48
    Options
    I injured my ankle a few months ago and wasn't able to walk for 4 weeks. Fitness Blender has a few low impact workouts I really like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoZsTarI9uA