storing herbs/ greens

Options
kayemme
kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
Another topic brought up how someone had a basil plant in their kitchen that they use instead of buying sprigs. As an avid herb eater (look at me with all my vowels!) I have a few tips that might help some of you continue the pleasures of fresh herbs in your diets.

Some herbs doe extremely well in a glass of water on the counter: basil, parsley, cilantro, oregano, thyme, mint, and sage.

Other herbs are better in a glass of water in the fridge: nasturtiums, green onions.

Fresh garlic (hasn't yet developed the papery outside) is best stored in the crisper.

Lettuces are best washed, prepped and packed rather tightly in a lidded bucket, but will also keep rather well if wrapped in a damp tea towel and then in a plastic bag. There may be better options for the plastic bags. I like my buckets.

(note: i buy plastic ziplocs maybe once a year and rewash /hang dry them. they only get tossed out if they are causing a health hazard)

Tomatoes only go in the fridge if they are cut. Same with onions, potatoes and garlic (storage garlic, not fresh garlic)

If you're lucky enough to be in a CSA and you get the awesome onions with the greens on top, cut the tops and put in a lidded container. a small, damp cloth may perpetuate their freshness.

other greens like mustard, kale and chard can be placed in a damp towel and in a bag.

To revitalize a head of lettuce, put the stalk side into a glass of cool water, leave on the counter and it will likely crisp up to pre-purchase vitality.

Remember with things in water, the water should be changed every day to prevent bacteria growth.

With the herbs, I will often pick 3 days worth and have a bouquet of herbs on my counter and use them until they're gone.

Replies

• absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    ah such good info - thank you for posting!!!! :)
  • kitt7769
    kitt7769 Posts: 23
    Options
    I can't seem to grow anything... herbs, houseplants, etc... but thanks for the information. Makes me want to give it another try.
  • marlenia
    marlenia Posts: 33
    Options
    VERY informative! Thank you! :happy:
  • callie365
    callie365 Posts: 689
    Options
  • kayemme
    Options
    I can't seem to grow anything... herbs, houseplants, etc... but thanks for the information. Makes me want to give it another try.

Even if you can't grow them yourself, you can still store them this way. If you decide to try to grow them, save the seeds and plant them every year (heirloom varieties only). Basil is extremely easy to grow. Cilantro? depends on where you are. Sage, Oregano & Thyme are all perennial, so you plant them once and you have them for many years to come.
    :)
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
    Bump :)
  • jessudd
    jessudd Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your info! This summer I grew basil, parsley and cilantro on my patio. I can't keep plants inside, though, because my cat destroys them immediately... So I've been wondering, and you might know... Can you freeze herbs? I hate that I'll lose my fresh herbs when winter comes!
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was just wondering about this!
  • thatcat61
    Options
    You didn't mention celery - I got my tip from Alton Brown: Wash the stalk and put it in a tall glass jar with enough water to cover the bottom root ball (about a third of the jar). Put one of those little mini-shower cap covers (ok, I forget what they are called!) over the top - or even a long plastic bag and rubber band it around the jar - whatever works. You can trim the tops if they show age and you will note new growth. Oh, I keep my jar in the refrigerator door with the tall stuff. Works a charm.
  • kayemme
    Options
    oh, you're right! i totally forgot to mention that i pack certain root vegetables in water in the fridge. except, i pack them almost entirely in water. that water doesn't need to be changed as often, but still occasionally, and then i use that water to water my plants instead of just pouring it down the drain (as i do with all my vegetable washing water)

edit: i do this with

celery
    carrots
    radishes
    rhubarb

with turnips & beets, i treat those more like the sturdy greens (tea towel & bag)

i keep peaches in a bag in the fridge and plums in bowls in the fridge.

note to person who asked about overwinter. i usually just dry mine in the fall and use that over the winter. i heard you can freeze basil and cilantro in ice cube trays but i haven't tried it myself.
  • kayemme
    Options
    Thanks so much for your info! This summer I grew basil, parsley and cilantro on my patio. I can't keep plants inside, though, because my cat destroys them immediately... So I've been wondering, and you might know... Can you freeze herbs? I hate that I'll lose my fresh herbs when winter comes!

you might want to consider growing some cat grass, just for kitty! it's super easy to grow and kitty will probably avoid your other plants (but maybe not.. hehhe)

k
  • kayemme
    Options
    most important lesson through all of this is, though, don't waste that water! use it for your houseplants or garden or whatever, but it's a precious resource and shouldn't go to waste.

(stepping off platform)
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I store my herb in the prescription-look-alike bottle I get it in...

...oh...nevermind - you're talking about herbs you COOK with! Doh! :wink:
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    most important lesson through all of this is, though, don't waste that water! use it for your houseplants or garden or whatever, but it's a precious resource and shouldn't go to waste.

(stepping off platform)

ThANK you!!! world water supplies are a very important and valid issue. please, stay on the platform!!!!!
  • kayemme
    Options
    I store my herb in the prescription-look-alike bottle I get it in...

...oh...nevermind - you're talking about herbs you COOK with! Doh! :wink:

last i heard you could cook with some o' those heh ;)
  • kayemme
    Options
    ugh, and one more thing before i have to take off for a while:

some fruits like apples, bananas and plums put off an ethylene gas which will cause other things to ripen quicker. so try not to store those for too long, just get what you need and get them more often rather than storing them.

other tips are welcome!