A Different Sort of Progress

Options
So I've spent a lot of time browsing through all of the success stories on MFP, and I guess I just wanted to contribute a little. However, my success is a little different than others that I have seen.
I started off on the higher side of the healthy weight range. Like a lot of other people, I was unhappy with my weight, and decided to go on a diet and shed a few of my unwanted kilos. At 78kg, I was by no means overweight- but my mind could not be changed.

154411_1645369105314_7915432_n.jpg
149100_1648645507222_6322094_n.jpg

I started to work out every day, and cut down my intake- in a matter of months I had lost 10kg. I was finally getting thinner! Things were going according to plan.
And then things escalated.
I developed a growing obsession with calorie counting, overexercising, and severely restricting my intake of food. At times, I would go days without eating, terrified that any amount of calories would make me "fat". Over just under a year, my weight had dropped down to 55kg- dangerously low for my height. And still, even after a 23kg weight loss, all I saw was fat. Even the confrontations and concerns of my family could not convince me that things had gone too far. But they truly, truly had. My body was failing me- I was too exhausted to stand in the shower; too weak to lift my doona to make my own bed. I was dying, and I was in complete denial.

417862_10200374571779369_609827598_n.jpg
tumblr_mg6fmlKL1N1rnri6io1_1280.jpg

In Janurary 2013, I was hospitalised due to complications caused by anorexia nervosa. I was placed on an NG tube for re-feeding, and slowly began to learn to eat again. I began to realise just how bad things had gotten, and with my future- and my life- at stake, i decided that it was time to change.
tumblr_mnan88ZPBP1rnri6io1_1280.jpg
tumblr_mnbxbfb0f51rnri6io1_500.jpg

Now, in May 2013, I am a healthy 63kg. Through gaining weight, I started to regain everything that my eating disorder had taken away from me. Some days are still difficult, and I definitely still struggle with the idea that I am"fat". But I'm also learning that there is so much more to life than just being thin. Weight and size do not show the world anything about you as a person. They cannot measure kindness, bravery, courage and resilience. People are so much more than just numbers.

So, that is my success- not losing weight, but gaining health.

Replies

• EstyPorter
    EstyPorter Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wow, Im so glad you are starting to get healthier again. Your first and second picture, you look SOOO beautiful!! And Healthy and perfect!! It was all in your head, thanks for posting your story : )
  • bluecrayonz
    bluecrayonz Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    You're really beautiful....stay healthy!
  • JayStu
    JayStu Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Glad you are getting healthy again. You look amazing
  • shellbellnz
    shellbellnz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story and I am glad you are on the road to recovery.
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Well done for taking back control of your life! Thank you for posting this, I think you look beautifully healthy in the first two pics, I hope you continue to see how gorgeous you are and not the image our brains can warp into unreality.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Out of the many great success stories that there are on this site - yours is a very special one, and I take my hat off to you for posting it!

Well done, and I wish you all the best for your future!!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    It sounds as if you are learning some pretty special things right now - you are gorgeous in your first pictures - but now you are also learning that looks is not everything.

Big hugs, and remember to listen to those close to you - they care enough about you to never lie to you xxxx
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!