How to dress my body!!!!! (ladies, help me)

Options
So my body has changed a lot since I've lost 40 pounds, but it has a new shape. Previously when I was this weight, I carried a very limited amount of weight/fat in my tummy region - where as now I have quite a bit.... and I find myself totally confused on what style of clothes would make me look the best. I feel like I don't really fit any on the 4 main body types (apple, pear, banana, or hourglass) but am kinda a mash-up of the bunch. Any advice?

My body shape (jeans are pulled over my stomach pooch but I really REALLY have one):
[image.jpg

Dressing well does a ton for my self esteem but I keep getting so discouraged feeling like everything makes me look frumpy! I want to wear things that make me look my best..... please help!

Replies

• kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I would go shopping and try on all sorts of styles...including things you would never normally wear to work out what suits you now...thats what i did to work out what did and didnt suit my new body :)
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Looks to me like you're an inverted pear/triangle, but close to an hourglass which makes it a little easier. (Shoulders wider than hips, top-heavy bust.)

"The main aim is to create the illusion of an hourglass shape by discreetly adding volume around your hips to balance your broader top half, while flattering your shoulders. Strong shoulders are an asset, as long as you keep everything else in proportion." link: http://www.channel4.com/4beauty/app/for-my-body-shape/inverted-triangle

I feel like you could do things suited for hourglass shapes and still get away with it though. I think the simplest way to tackle it is to do brighter/lighter colors and patterns around the hips and solid/darker colors for the top so it balances.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I would go shopping and try on all sorts of styles...including things you would never normally wear to work out what suits you now...thats what i did to work out what did and didnt suit my new body :)

I really have been trying to do that but wit no luck :sad:
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    in for tips. i'm clueless.
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Just to add, no matter your body shape, it's kind of like makeup when it comes to colors and values. Darker colors push features back and lighter colors pull them forward/highlight.

For example, I'm a pear, so it's dark solid bottoms and lighter or patterned tops to balance my shape out. For inverted triangles, it's the opposite. More flowy things around the hips too.

For apples the shape/cut of the clothing is super important (things that give the illusion of a cinched waist, for example). But even then color would be important. A red top or dress with a black belt or sash around the waist, something like that.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It looks like you have the apple body shape. Oh wait, maybe inverted triangle. I thought that was the same thing. I don't get these shape classifications!!! If you look for style guides for that shape it would probably be helpful. Sorry, I can't help. Your body type is very different from mine. I wouldn't know where to begin to give advice. You are beautiful!! :flowerforyou:
  • hellokittymaui
    hellokittymaui Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Is there something specific you are looking for? A dress, pants suit, skirt, etc???
  • TheNewAdventuresofDanni
    TheNewAdventuresofDanni Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am very hour glassey. I really like cotton based shirts with a little bit of spandex. They are super easy to wash and they fit to bodys really well. If they stretch they shrink back up in the wash:)
    Favorite places: Ross, Old Navy, Gap, Value Village
    Pants are a hit and miss, but anything that is "Stretch" usually is the better choice. As you lose weight they still fit, as your bending and moving throughout the day you don't get the dreaded back gap.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Is there something specific you are looking for? A dress, pants suit, skirt, etc???

i wear an lot of dresses and skirts in my free time (though I work at Home depot and like feeling fabulous there while still fitting the dress code) my style is all over the place :tongue: kinda bohemian and artistic most days, but maxi dresses and full length skirts all make me look like a whale :sad:
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    our body shapes are similar, though your chest is bigger than mine... I know how frustrating that can be, so many shirts are made small in the bust and it's aggravating! You also have a short waist (distance from breast to bellybutton) like I have. I typically look for shirts that are made longer than what you find in the average store. Old Navy makes some of my favorite tanks which they just brought back this year (they have lace trim) and their normal tanks are way longer than average, I find that adding this length to my toso make me appear a bit leaner. I wear them alone and also under stuff that I don't feel is the right length. I also wear a lot of dresses in the summer. I usually buy ones that are cinched under the breast, they can be hard to find because if they are made this way the bust is usually too small, but when I find one that fits my body looks great! I have found some great ones at old navy as well. Also, not sure how old you are, but check different areas of the store you are in. For a long time I couldn't bring myself to give up the Junior's section... I found that the Misses sections has some realy cute items are built a little more for my body type.

Got a couple dresses made like this and they look really good on http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=91340&vid=1&pid=386546042
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I would wear pants that sit higher on your hips, boot cut or slightly flared at the bottom. Show off your arms and your boobs. You look to be more top heavy, so stay away from any baggy, loose-fitting blouses.
    Use a slim belt on your dresses to draw attention to your waist. Dresses that are form fitting on top, and flare out towards the bottom will also create an hourglass figure.

Honestly, it's all hit and miss. Go shopping, spend the day trying stuff on. Try on things you usually wouldn't. Have fun!
  • hellokittymaui
    hellokittymaui Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm..... this is actually tougher than I thought! Trying to help someone find appropriate clothing from afar! LOL

There are so many designs and styles of stuff out there that it's hard to suggest something without seeing you in it. My only tip for you would be that "fitted" pieces will help make you look taller/thinner than full, blousy, billowy, shapeless stuff.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    @Ashes - Get some waist belts and start layering them with your clothes, they create the illusion of a tiny waist and draw attention away from hips/lower belly.

Play up your cleavage/neck line area if you feel unconfident about you lower half - get shirts with unique necklines and get some bibnecklaces and funky jewelry to draw attention to that area

examples

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=907&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=waist+belt+over+cardigan&oq=waist+belt+over+cardigan&gs_l=img.3...10210.14371.0.14551.16.15.1.0.0.0.75.866.15.15.0...0.0...1c.1.14.img.lRPTWYNxq7s
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Can't say for sure without a side profile but looks like you are an H to me. I'm not seeing a 9" or more difference between your waist and hips to make you a pear or hourglass and you don't seem to have the length between your bottom rib and hipbone for a really defined waist.

http://personalimageguide.com/dress-for-your-shape-the-h-body/
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Hi there, congrats on your weight loss!!

With your shape, I would start with anything that is wrap-style or that helps to accentuate the waist. Try to stay away from long flowy bouses that are "oversized" and loose or baggy, or stuff that falls of shoulder, etc... which sadly is the common trend right now (I hate it!).

Not sure where you live, what your budget or style is, but here are some ideas to start with. The idea is to create a ruching (gathered effect) in the center of your body so that it brings in your waist.. without over-accentuating your bust. I worked in retail for over 6 years and shopping is a hobby of mine, so hopefully my style and suggestions don't suck too back. :tongue:

Old Navy wrap dress
    http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=79750&vid=1&pid=251851132#close

Target wrap top
    http://www.target.com/p/mossimo-womens-mult-wrap-top-assorted-colors/-/A-14247440#prodSlot=medium_1_5&term=wrap+top

JC Penney Ruffle top
    http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/women/shop-clothing/tops-/shirts-blouses/worthington-ruffle-blouse-/prod.jump?ppId=pp5002660345&catId=cat100210006&deptId=dept20000013&N=100260297&pageSize=96&extDim=true&topDim=Categories&topDimvalue=shirts+&+blouses&dimCombo=Categories|&dimComboVal=shirts+&+blouses|&currentDim=Categories&currentDimVal=shirts+&+blouses

And actually, this one would look great on you if you're trying to "minimize" the bust...

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/women/shop-clothing/tops-/ana-sheer-keyhole-blouse/prod.jump?ppId=pp5002770682&catId=cat100210006&deptId=dept20000013&N=100260297&pageSize=96&extDim=true&topDim=Categories&topDimvalue=shirts+&+blouses&dimCombo=Categories|&dimComboVal=shirts+&+blouses|&currentDim=Categories&currentDimVal=shirts+&+blouses
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Well, your stomach looks a lot like mine does now, but you're a lot bustier than I am. So I say, play up that figure, girl! Even if you're self conscious of your "pooch" (as you called it) keep in mind that your proportions look very balanced. I guess there's no real help here, but I think you look great!
  • TOPSmarca
    TOPSmarca Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I love tops and dresses with empire waists. The ones with no gathers show off a smaller waist and the ones with gathers hide a bigger middle. For you I would go with no gathers!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I would ditch the bra.

:flowerforyou:
  • Bubbaluh
    Bubbaluh Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    well IN MY OPINION a peplum dress or top would look very nice on you, you have slim arms and a larger chest and narrow hips

i cant get my link working its been a while since ive done it, but theres examples!
    GOODLUCK
    http://imgur.com/XSCd1Sw