eating junk all day within my calorie goal??

Options
Hello everyone!!
So, I have two issues id like to bring up tonight...

1. its been one of those days when ive been craving junk ALL day! all ive wanted to do is eat an entire apple pie with ice cream and custard with a side of cakes and chocolate bars. yum.
So anyway, I controlled myself to an extent, but did eat four pieces of chocolate. Im still within my calorie goal, but it got me wondering, if I just ate 1200 calories worth of junk instead of healthy food, would I still lose weight, or because its unhealthy processes food would I gain?

2. Another question... I have a few calories left for today, and am intent on eating something delicious as a post dinner snack?? any ideas would be much appreciated!!! :) I have low fat ice cream in the fridge, but have no idea how much ican eat for around 280 cals (I don't have scales) or I could eat toast (guilty pleasure) but my carbs would go way over (but stay within calories) ?!?!?!

THANK YOU

Replies

• TheNavet
    TheNavet Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Calories in / calories out, not matter whether it's junk or not. You won't gain (except maybe water retention) if you remain under your calorie goal but what you've eaten might not be as filling as if you'd eaten something healthier - hence, you might feel hungry rapidly and without any calorie left.

Can't help you for the snacks though! I guess toast is okay, going over your macros once in a while isn't the end of the world :wink:
  • losingArni
    losingArni Posts: 89
    Options
    thanks for the help. its reassuring to know if you have one of those days where you want to eat junk you technically can. :P I need those days to keep me sane haha
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Look up the Twinkie Diet.

As long as you are under your TDEE, you will lose weight no matter what food you eat. It is not optimal to do this all the time health wise, but for weight loss, it doesn't really matter.
  • hunterman95
    hunterman95 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Your body runs on fuel (calories). Calories are calories, regardless of where they come from. If your body doesn't get enough, it burns what you have stored (fat), and you lose weight. But high-calorie foods (sugar) will not fill you up, and you will be hungry all the time. Not to mention, your body will not get the nutrients it needs, and you will soon feel run down, and eventually run into serious health problems.

Have the toast if you want. I've never counted carbs. The only reason I restrict carbs, is because high-carb foods also tend to be high-calorie foods.

But above all else, go buy yourself a scale! Today! Aside from MFP, it's the single most important tool in my weight loss battle.
  • EllytoSkinny
    Options
    I agree with the posts above. Just don't do it every day. I do find that the more carbs I eat, the hungrier I am like the above poster said. Also, fresh fruits and veggies will make you regular (if you know what I mean) and protein helps me stay full. That being said, enjoy a day of chocolate and ice cream. :)
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    As long as you're in a deficit you won't gain but depending on the junk you ate you may retain water, so don't panic and think you've blown it if you're up a couple pounds in the next couple of days.
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options
    Calories in versus calories out causes weight loss :) so technically you probably could eat gummy bears every day lol but don't... You may loose weight but you'll be killing yourself one nutritionally deficient day at a time - eating junk every day is almost like taking up smoking as a weight loss tactic - totally counter productive health wise - I understand the junk temptation though!
  • highervibes
    Options

But above all else, go buy yourself a scale! Today! Aside from MFP, it's the single most important tool in my weight loss battle.

YES! Mine just ran out of battery and I HAD to rush to Walmart to get a new set of 3V watch type batteries hehehehe. I LOVE that thing! It especially helps that MFP has most foods listed in 100g amounts :)
  • TheRuja1
    TheRuja1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It isn't recommended but totally fine to do. Just keep within your goal, it's all about portions and moderation. Your goal keeps you from eating that whole apple pie but doesn't mean you can't have a piece or two.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    As long as you're in a deficit you won't gain but depending on the junk you ate you may retain water, so don't panic and think you've blown it if you're up a couple pounds in the next couple of days.

This. water retention will slow you down, but not stall you completely. Once in a while, a good 'party day' within reason is good for the soul, you know?

Mine's usually a couple days a month if I can control myself on the opposite weekends.

ETA: I had cheesecake, with strawberry sauce (2 slices!), ribs and rice pilaf-so salty, last night. Things I usually never eat unless it's a special occasion, and still came in at a loss this week. :D One 'good' day isn't going to ruin you.

And, ETA: take a look at your cycle schedule. Sometimes the day or two before your period starts you will notice your cravings take a turn for the worst.
  • kiern18
    kiern18 Posts: 61
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with moderation so if you can fit the food you want into your calorie intake then that's fine. However, you still need to eat healthy food. A portioned treat won't set you back with your weight loss. But you should nourish your body with the food that it deserves. It's your choice on how you treat your body, but I would not recommend eating processed/junk food everyday.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    As long as you're in a deficit you can lose weight.

280 cals you say?

Sounds like a nice bowl of ice cream

Or a scoop of ice cream and a cookie.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I think if you ate more than 1200 calories on a daily basis, you probably wouldn't have those days where you feel like eating yourself into a junk food coma.

And ditch the low-fat ice cream. Get yourself some fat ice cream, and enjoy it.
  • highervibes
    Options
    I think if you ate more than 1200 calories on a daily basis, you probably wouldn't have those days where you feel like eating yourself into a junk food coma.

And ditch the low-fat ice cream. Get yourself some fat ice cream, and enjoy it.

also this.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    For the majority of people, calories in/calories out works. If you have a medical condition it might be different.
  • hooee71
    hooee71 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The big problem is the glycemic fluctuations that you are handing your body.

When you ramp your glycemic levels up to those heights, your body tends to hold on to its fat, and your insulin levels are crazy. So while you probably won't gain weight since you are still within the bounds of your calorie intake, you probably aren't doing your endocrine system any favors either.

If it's 1 day, vs. a constant diet of high-glycemic foods, then probably not a problem. If you let yourself fall into this mentality of just "calories in vs. calories out", eventually your body will rebel without the proper nutrition.

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=32
  • getrealforme
    Options
    Calories in / calories out, not matter whether it's junk or not. You won't gain (except maybe water retention) if you remain under your calorie goal but what you've eaten might not be as filling as if you'd eaten something healthier - hence, you might feel hungry rapidly and without any calorie left.

Can't help you for the snacks though! I guess toast is okay, going over your macros once in a while isn't the end of the world :wink:

>this, I have lost weight steadily before by eating a diet full of junk food, as long as I stayed within my calorie budget. Not recommended, but life happens :)
  • brazilnut05
    brazilnut05 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Junk food ALL DAY??

Roll out the TP and prepare to experience the worst ****s of your life!!!
  • brazilnut05
    brazilnut05 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Junk food ALL DAY??

Roll out the TP and prepare to experience the worst ****s of your life!!!

****$h!Ts
  • DancingDreams1234
    Options
    You'll probably end up retaining some water, but don't do this again. Yeah you're within your calorie goal, but you are not receiving proper nutrition, because at the end of the day your body needs the right food to function properly.