How to deal with filthy neighbors..

Options
Brazilll
Brazilll Posts: 503
So.. I need some opinions here.

I live in a neighborhood where the vast majority of the homes are well maintained, people display a pride of home owbership here. Unfortunately my neighbors are the exception. Their home looks abandonded from the outside. The plants in the backyard are overgrown and manage to make their way over the 12 foot high concrete wall dividing our backyards. There are CONSTANTLY stereoid roaches (I call them this because they are so large that they defy the laws of science) climbing up the exterior walls of their home. There are cats, and I mean lots of them. I've seen their backyard. It's got broken down lawn mowers, car parts, and a wide variety of rubbish. I've offered to help them paint the exterior and lend a hand in cleaning up their yard. I find myself cleaning up the front area from time to time. (Mostly when it gets to the point where it's making its way onto my property)

I've looked for resources online as far as finding someone I can call (like what would be your HOA here in Puerto Rico) but it seems every where I call can't help me out. They kind of put it like, it's t heir home, their problem. The thing is, not only is the home an eye sore, but there are foul odors, lots of flies and other insects and it just overall seems like a breeding zone for all disease carrying lifeforms. I'm not comfortable letting my 3 year old play on OUR backyard because of the condition of our
neighbors place. Aside from moving or buying a flame thrower.. (kidding) what else can I do?

Replies

• SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Do you have a health department? Sounds like a health hazard to me.
  • Brazilll
    Options

I've called "Municipio" which covers basically all community issues, they asked if there were children living in the home, which there are not. They said they'd take down the info and "check it out" but it's been over six months.
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Keep trying!! Call once a week if you have to. They might go to look at it just to get you to stop calling, and if its bad they'll do something about it. Good luck!! the flame thrower isn't a bad idea!!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

I've called "Municipio" which covers basically all community issues, they asked if there were children living in the home, which there are not. They said they'd take down the info and "check it out" but it's been over six months.

You have to harass them if you actually want something done.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Great way to start would be the good old soap, recommend some to them! :wink:
  • Kimaw65
    Kimaw65 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    since there are no children do you have something like adult protective services. If you do, maybe they can get involved because it totally sounds like unsanitary living conditions
  • Brazilll
    Options
    Keep trying!! Call once a week if you have to. They might go to look at it just to get you to stop calling, and if its bad they'll do something about it. Good luck!! the flame thrower isn't a bad idea!!

Good point. I have made a few calls but I could always be more diligent. I have been known to pour bottles of bleach along the border of their backyard. *shudders* how can people be so filthy. Bleh.
  • Brazilll
    Options
    since there are no children do you have something like adult protective services. If you do, maybe they can get involved because it totally sounds like unsanitary living conditions

Puerto Rico seems to be pretty limited on resources. All complaints go through said "Municipio". Their website looks lke it was updated around the time of Y2K.
  • jojo37696
    jojo37696 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can get them on the pet issues. Do you have an animal control center. If they are living in that filth then they are being abused. Roaches is a health issue for the occupants as well as the neighborhood. Other than that call every week. They will get so sick of hearing from you that they will do something. Good luck
  • Brazilll
    Options
    Maybe you can get them on the pet issues. Do you have an animal control center. If they are living in that filth then they are being abused. Roaches is a health issue for the occupants as well as the neighborhood. Other than that call every week. They will get so sick of hearing from you that they will do something. Good luck

The cats are strays, i'm sure they go there to dine on mice and roaches, *yum*. We've got a horrible issue here as far as strays, but that is a whole new can of worms. I'm just going to have to harrass the folks over at municipio it seems. Thanks, this has been a nightmare. I even offered to pay for extermination services.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

You have to harass them if you actually want something done.
    I have neighbors like this. I've had to call the health department and the zoning department. I kept calling until they came out.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I read this as flirty neighbors.

Hmm that changes things. Call up one of the hoarders shows. I'm sure they would send the TV crew your way! Id think about calling the cops on them repeatedly if it was my kids health at stake.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you a story.

There was a young man who was on trial for a crime he did not commit. He was found guilty and condemned to two life sentences in prison. After, two years in prison, he wrote a letter to the State Senate asking for funding to buy a few books for the prison library. He received no response from the Senate, but kept writing.

A year passed with no response. Two years passed with no response, and yet he kept writing a letter a week.

After three years he still wrote a letter a week. Four years passed but the Senate was unwilling to fund the prison library. Five years and nothing - so kept writing and kept writing. Six years later, with over 300 hundred letters sent, he received this response:

"Dear Mr Dufresne,
    In response to your repeated inquiries, the State Senate has allocated the enclosed funds ($200) for your library project. In addition, the Library District has generously responded with a charitable donation of used books and sundries. We trust this will fill your needs. We now consider the matter closed. Please stop sending us letters.
    Yours truly,
    the State Comptroller's Office."

Keep sending your letters and keep making those calls :)
  • SaBh93
    SaBh93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Call the health authority.

Also, if it is encroaching on your property (as you say it is), you can potentially send them a letter saying you are considering to sue them with a nuisance lawsuit (well, you can in England).. Should get them working.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I would move or purchase a flame thrower.

Seriously.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    This is why we live in a community with a property owners association... If you do not have an HOA to address this, your local government probably has codes addressing all of these issues. Look for a neighborhood services or code enforcement department on their website and submit complaints.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you a story.

There was a young man who was on trial for a crime he did not commit. He was found guilty and condemned to two life sentences in prison. After, two years in prison, he wrote a letter to the State Senate asking for funding to buy a few books for the prison library. He received no response from the Senate, but kept writing.

A year passed with no response. Two years passed with no response, and yet he kept writing a letter a week.

After three years he still wrote a letter a week. Four years passed but the Senate was unwilling to fund the prison library. Five years and nothing - so kept writing and kept writing. Six years later, with over 300 hundred letters sent, he received this response:

"Dear Mr Dufresne,
    In response to your repeated inquiries, the State Senate has allocated the enclosed funds ($200) for your library project. In addition, the Library District has generously responded with a charitable donation of used books and sundries. We trust this will fill your needs. We now consider the matter closed. Please stop sending us letters.
    Yours truly,
    the State Comptroller's Office."

Keep sending your letters and keep making those calls :)
    This was a fictional movie though. Not saying that sending letters won't help, but the result was part of the story.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Living outside of the US, CASH seems to get everything moving with authorities.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i used to be a liberal pacifist, but the MFP forums have taught me the error of my ways. jogging shorts handle all problems

U1AcZTe.jpg