What kind of gadgets, apps and other technology do you use?

Options
I love gadgets and apps, so that's the way I discovered MFP. But I'd love to get some more stuff that can help me loose weight and get in shape.

I've ordered a withings smart body analyzer and I can't wait to get it. I hope that also seeing my body fat can help me see more progress.

I'm also wondering about getting a fitbit flex. But is it good? Or is there other gadgets that is better at the same price?

Replies

• torymichaels
    Options
    Personally, I'd go with the Fitbit One (same price as the flex) and from what I've heard, it's been getting higher opinions than the Flex does.

I use MapMyWalk and Runtastic (don't like Runtastic).
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I use a new FitBit Zip.It counts steps etc,doesn't do the same as more $$ models,but works fine for me.
    Sync it to my iPad3 & MFP.....seems to cover all bases.Also keep a paper journal....just in case.Most all healthy living info
    & recipes are on line,so I don't buy books dealing with that subject.
  • kstarr5
    kstarr5 Posts: 1
    Options
    FITBIT!! i was wondering about the fitbit flex too, but i heard that it doesn't always measure everything since it is on your wrist and if wrist movement is limited the it is not as accurate. I looked up all the reviews and best everything before i buy it and fitbit is the top brand bought and loved!
  • zmeplay
    zmeplay Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have found that spending money on 'gadgets/ equipment' doesn't work for me. I buy them and then get bored of them just as fast.

Try:
    -Nike training center (free app on your cell)
    -map my run

good luck
  • Lepouxo
    Lepouxo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper to keep track of my walks and runs.
  • dettiot
    dettiot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    For my workouts, I use Zombies, Run! It's a great app that gives you missions to complete for each workout, and it's really inspired me to get off my butt and go for a walk on those days when the motivation is low.

I'm hoping to get a Fitbit as soon as I've saved some money. Has anyone also used the Fitbit Aria scale? Is it worth the money?
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Flex. It's my first Fitbit, so I like it. Nothing else to compare it to. I also still use my Polar FT60 for exercise to monitor my "Heart rate" more so than for the calorie burn. I like to view my HR while working out and keep it in a certain range.

Those are my gadgets currently.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Zip. It's really a great motivator in getting me to get out there and walk. If I look on my leaderboard and see someone is catching up to me it is enough to get me out there to take a long walk.
  • getrealforme
    Options
    I have the Jawbone Up, and love it.(similar to Fitbit Flex). I synced it to My Fitness Pal. It has pushed me to be more active, and it tells MFP how many calories I should be eating. If I want to eat something that I don't have the calories for, I get moving, until UP tells MFP I have the calories. I have lost 5 pounds in one week, simply by using MFP and UP together..
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I use a C25K app. I also have an exercise ideas app and a heart rate app. I don't use it for HRM, but I definitely checkj in using it
  • loserlee123
    loserlee123 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I use the runkeeper app when I walk
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I have the BodyMedia FIT LINK, the app that goes with it, Endomondo for running, and Fooducate when I'm food shopping (scan a barcode of a food and it gives you a grade based on its nutritional facts).
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM and love it!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    none
    my fitness pal. thats it
    i dont need them
  • marcoscu
    marcoscu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I use the Fitbit Ultra (now replaced by the Fitbit One) which is a good motivator and keeps you on the move. I also use a Heart Rate Monitor to track my individual workout sessions and to give a more accurate estimation of how many calories I have burned. Currently I am using the Polar FT7 HRM watch, previously I used the Polar Wearlink+, Scosche MyTrek abd Scosche Rythm HRMs but all of them packed in within a few weeks of purchase. I also use Runkeeper and Digifit smartphone apps which link to MFP and other health websites.
    Yes, I love gadgets and accumulating lists and data!
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I love gadgets and have tried pretty much everything. Fitbit One is by far my most useful gadget. I'm an all day active kind of person, and this gives me a much better handle on my activity than just a heart rate monitor. I'm thinking of getting the Flex, but really don't think I need it. I have the Aria scale and love it, but frankly don't think it is at all necessary, or even worth the money. I do love my Garmin Forerunner 610 GPS watch (it came with a HRM and footpod). It makes tracking my runs very easy (pacing, etc, since I mostly run outside). But, I almost never use the HRM or footpod because I've found the Fitbit to be very accurate for step based activity. Really, at the end of the day, I think all I really need is the Fitbit and a GPS watch. And My Fitness Pal, of course.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I have an HRM which is quite flaky, a blood pressure monitor (works well), a body fat monitor that seems accurate to within 30% at best.

I use runtastic to track my pushups, situpsand my much hated squats!
    Best of all, I use Runkeeper to track my runs - fantastic app.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I just use MFP to track everything and I recently got a hrm the Polar ft4. I love it!
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I am on the MFP app on my phone all the time, maybe too often.

Also have a FitBit Zip but sometimes I forget to wear it..
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit Ultra because most of the time I just take my exercise calories from that rather than calculating individual activities. (The exception is if I have a day with a lot of badminton, because Fitbit underestimates sports like that with a lot of explosive starting and stopping).

I have a Striiv but I don't use it; I find the Fitbit much more convenient.

I track runs on my iPhone with iSmoothRun while I'm running, and then store them using Runkeeper.

I do my strength workouts while watching TV because they're too boring otherwise.

I count my calories on MFP -- but you knew that.

I play quite a lot of Wii games (dance mat in particular), especially when the weather is sucky or I'm really busy and it's hard to fit exercise in.

I have a HRM (Garmin, linked to a running watch (305 I think)) -- I tend not to use it because it takes so damn long to find the satellites compared to the phone, and the heart rate display is tiny and there's no way to make it bigger. Plus I need to use gel to get a good contact on the HRM belt, which is a pain. After all this time I have a pretty good sense of what light, moderate, heavy, OMG I'm going to die, exercise feels like, even without using the HRM.