Dinner, anyone else have this problem?

Options
I am pretty much on my own for breakfast, lunch and snacks so it is easy to do well at those times, but for dinner I am feeding a family of 5....myself, hubby and 3 kids. My husband loves dinners like meatloaf and mashed potatoes..chili...shepherds pie...and not much of a chicken eater :noway: He grew up in the South and if he had his way we would eat a lot of fried food as well but I refuse to go there! So anyway, my choices are either to eat the dinner I make for the family OR make something separate for myself...which kinda stinks after cooking a meal, that I don't even get to eat it :laugh: So anyone else in this situation? Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If you're the one doing the cooking, make whatever the heck you want, the rest of the family can eat it or starve!
  • Skinnytime
    Skinnytime Posts: 279
    Options
    Eat the dinner with your family, but make better choices when preparing it. Use your same seasonings, but replace the higher fat items with lower fat, comparable ones. For meatloaf, use 90% lean beef. The 93% is too dense. Use whole wheat bread for the bread crumbs. Use egg whites rather than whole eggs.
    You can get creative and make lighter versions of a lot of favorite meals. My guess is they'll never even notice.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    My DH is also a Southern Fried kinda guy. I make his favorite with healthier options. I use 96% lean ground beef (or 93% if they don't have 96% when I go shopping). I use it for chili, spaghetti, even burgers on whole wheat buns. (What we're having tonight actually). I also make it into patties and make my own version of "chicken fried steak" by breading them and frying them in canola oil. For his fried chicken, I use frozen chicken breast tenderloins and put them in a pan sprayed with Pam. I then sprinkle on low fat Parmesan cheese as I'm turning it so that it is coated like traditional fried chicken. So, DH gets his Southern Fried foods, and I get lower fat/healthier fat options.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I agree with Becka77--if you're the one doing the cooking, you set the menu! I mean, you could try "lightening up" their favourites, but if you stick to your guns, then your entire family will probably be better for it because they'd be eating healthy stuff, and if they hate it so much they'll help out by cooking supper once in a while (which frees up time for you to do important things like work out or take a nap :wink:).
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yes! Dinner is a real bummer here. No only do the kids get on my nerves and I crave saturated fats (esp. chocolate) at dinner time, when I do make something healthy all they do is complain about it! Then hubby will come home and make a steak! This makes the entire house smell delicious & leaves me wanting to eat everything in sight. Then the kids get upset b/c they had to eat what I made and then they start beggin for deserts... to which I often give in. Ufta!

I have started to try and grow thick skin and tell the kids to not complain and just be happy they have food at all. I don't know what to do about hubby. I have been buying 93 to 95% lean ground beef and I did get some turkey burgers the other day. I find that often times they don't seem to notice if it's turkey or beef.

I think subtitutin and being more thicked skinned is the key here... but easy it is not!
    Good luck and let me know if you come up with better solutins :)
  • Mamatoboys
    Mamatoboys Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree choose wiser when you cook and eat the same. I have been cooking with better things, and my husband and kids love the new foods. Try using turkey burger or ground turkey. I use it a lot and my husband prefers it unless were having burgers.
  • Gorgeous1
    Gorgeous1 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I agree with skinnytime but my sentiment lies with Becka77 (hehe)

Here's my advice:

your family knows you're trying to lose weight and eat healthier.

1) make a deal with them that you prepare "your dinners" 2 or 3 nights a week. (It's better for them too!)
    2) when you DO make the regular dinners, do what Skinnytime suggested - make them healthier than you normally would
    2.a) I'd add: eat it but use a salad plate or a small bowl or cup. Eat a much smaller portion of "their dinner" days.

Good luck
  • starstealing
    Options
    haha, this is exactly what my mom said years ago when she started weight watchers (she's kept off 35 lbs for close to ten years!). my dad acquiesced of course!

above @ becka77 ... oops :3
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    Is there a Big Ol' Neon Sign out front of your house that says, MAUREEN'S DINER???????? :huh:

I always had that problem, especially with the kids. When my bonus-son lived with us all he wanted was pizza. UGH! So, we finally got to the point that hubby and I agreed that if they don't like what we are having for dinner as a family...there is always cereal, and THEY had to get it themselves. Funny how everything we have now is GREAT!!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • happily
    happily Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Being a Southern Girl myself, I'm pretty sure the Southern Husband will notice the difference between traditional foods and those sneaky healthy ones. But the Southern Husband also instinctively knows that If Mama Ain't Happy, Ain't Nobody Happy. I'm sure his own Mama taught him that. (I have a kitschy sign hanging near the stove to remind my Yankee husband.)

His Mama probably also taught him to Eat What He's Served or cook for himself. His Mama likely also fed him plenty of greens and vegetables to go along with the less healthy stuff.

Don't let him fool you into thinking he's the King of the Castle. A Southern Boy grows up knowing who runs the house, and it's not him. :wink:
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I agree with SkinnyTime - you can always modify. With meats you can always measure your own portion, limit sauces. And it won't kill your fam to eat some healthy vegetables.
  • abeautifulvoice
    Options
    Most of these ladies have great advice! I agree, make healthier versions and eat smaller portion sizes. Good luck to you :)
  • jessudd
    jessudd Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have similar issues here... except I'm the southern one and he's the raised-on-fast-and-processed-foods one... I've found that if I can make the things he craves occasionally and make them as healthy as I can, it keeps him from wanting to go out every other night--and since eating out can is even MORE of a struggle for me to find reasonable meals, I don't mind making his things from time to time.

I do try to make it in the healthiest way possible, as has been suggested. Then I make a HUGE salad to fill up most of my plate and treat myself with a small portion of whatever the meal was. I've tried only making what we *should* be eating, and that has just led to him making a lot of trips to McDonalds or late night mac & cheese, and since I'd rather have him eating my healthified versions of things, i think it's worked out as a pretty good compromise. :) Good luck!
  • nessaj
    nessaj Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you're making dishes like chilis serve them with a large portion of green veg instead of the rice and add some other veg into the chili. I made it last week - made enough for 4 portions which each worked out at about 300 calories and then instead of doing rice, one day I served it with a large courgette (zuccini) which I sliced up and fried with a spray of olive oil, the next day I served it with a large portion of runner beans. It was great, and hubby really liked it.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Southerner here! Cooking Light has been our saving grace. They have *amazing* recipes, all with seasonally-appropriate veggies. And if your Southern hubby is anything like our family, he's got to have his veggies with his yummy fried foods, etc.

Try to up your veggie intake, reduce the fat in your meats, and try to alter your food a little! Sure it's not QUITE as good as the real stuff, but it's so much better for all of you :smile:
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I agree with making wiser choices on the ingredients you put in. I don't look at meatloaf and chili as unhealthy meals. I either use 90% or above ground beef, or I use ground turkey (we can't tell the difference in chili or spaghetti... it is different for meatloaf but I have a good turkey meatloaf recipe too).

You can usually substitute turkey or lean ground beef with no problems... same for skim/lowfat milk and cheeses. (I will admit that full fat cheese usually tastes better though!).

I can't think of any other ideas but if you want to post some recipes or meals you usually cook I'd be glad to try to make them over for you! :) I love doing things like that!

Oh, and we are from the South as well... and have no problems with most of the substitutions I do. :) We've also started trying to do fish more often, which is low-calorie. If you don't like grilled/broiled, then you can pan-fry in olive oil (going sparingly on both the "breading" and oil, of course) or do baked "fried" fish. I made oven-friend tilapia not too long ago and we loved it and it was low-calorie as well. You can also really watch the sides you put with your meal and that affects the healthiness/calories too. We love steamed broccoli (which is SO good for you) and green beans cooked in chicken broth.

I can't imagine cooking a different meal for my family than for myself. Why would I serve them food that I am not willing to eat? I may have different sides for myself sometimes (passing on fries when we have burgers, or eating less starches), but I would never have something completely different! I will admit that there are nights when I will not be home for supper that I grab a salad and tell them to have a guy's night though... which in my house usually means mac and cheese and hotdogs. :)
  • lupuslady
    Options
    I married a Southern boy and ate all the great ones for years, after 40 years I now need to lose 75 lbs. Trust me you do not want to be where I am. Always make turkey chili when no one is home. At first mix with 93% beef they will not know the difference. Use this chili for taco and nachos. They will love it. You can put your serving on lettuce and make it a taco salad. Tell your husband no more steak cooking in YOUR house or kitchen. If he wants steak he can take you out to dinner where you can choose some thing more reasonable. If he wants momma to look good he will probably agree. You can cook for the kids 3 nights a week the rest of the time they either eat what you eat or eat cereal.
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    If you're the one doing the cooking, make whatever the heck you want, the rest of the family can eat it or starve!

I agree somewhat but I also know how hard it is to not please everyone. Currently my daughter, son-in-law,and their two boys are living with me and my husband. I try and make the main dish the same for everyone but I might include some things they all like that I don't eat (baked fries or another vegetable) I eat separate foods sometimes because I eat fish and no one else does. When they move into their house it will be back to normal because my husband does not cook so he is willing to eat what I make. I have modified some down home recipes so we can still have things we love. I make my biscuits with whole wheat flour and they are delicious. I buy only sugar free desserts and if they want something else it is on them to provide it. Good luck on coming up with a compromise.:flowerforyou:
  • heatherkry
    Options
    You may want to look into e-mealz.com and use there low fat meal plan. My husband hates fat free so we compromised on light or low fat.
  • sazziecee
    sazziecee Posts: 143
    Options
    I have a family of 5 too and can't say I really have this problem.

I cook Shepherds Pie, Roast Dinner, Curry, Spaghetti Bolognese and even Lasagne etc but I make them the low-fat way and I measure out my serving, having extra veg or salad if I think my portion looks mean, ,lol.
    My kids really enjoy stir-fry and Fajitas and get excited when I make those.

The only time I cook seperate meals is when I am making something like Pie, I know I don't really enjoy or like pastry so will buy a pack of 4 individual pies, so that there isn't enough for me to have one, then I will have something quick like beans or tinned mackerel on toast. It doesn't bother me that they are eating something different, as I wouldn't have enjoyed the high-fat option anyway.

My husband is quite fussy as in the types of meat he will eat, but luckily the ones he refuses to eat are the higher-fat options such as lamb, pork and duck. We eat a lot of chicken, turkey, lean beef and prawns in this house.

I used to cook for the kids seperately when they were younger but I got so sick of cooking twice in an evening, so now we all have the same thing 95% of the time, and if someone doesn't like what is on offer, then tough!