Not sure about my trainer's nutrition advice?

Options
I joined a new gym and they gave me a complimentary session with a personal trainer. She walked me through a nutrition plan this morning, to basically "jump-start" my metabolism and get it running as fast as possible. Nothing on the "good foods" list surprised me, and obviously "no-nos" like fried foods and soda weren't a surprise either.

What did surprise me were some of the other foods on the "no-no" list:
- most fruits (like mangos, berries, and apples)
- dairy, including yogurt and skim milk
- any nuts except raw almonds
- carrots
- tomatoes

Those foods have been big parts of my clean eating diet (esp yogurt and tomatoes), and I have been making good progress the past few months - 14lbs lost since I started MFP early March.

Should I start cutting out these foods as well, or do you think it's unnecessary? Thanks!

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I also disagree with your trainer. As opposed to cutting out certain foods, I advocate calorie control and IIFYM.
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Those suggestions are pretty ridiculous. I eat a bunch of strawberries and three ounces of carrots per day and I'm just fine. I'm not sure what your trainer's basis is for saying not to eat them, but they are both nutritious and low-calorie. Keep eating them.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Jump start that metabolism eh? If it ever stopped, you'd be dead.

Most trainers are not trained in nutrition. So, take it with a pinch of salt.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I thought berries were a "superfood" that were the choice to go to for fruit? WTH????
  • dbkrantz
    dbkrantz Posts: 138
    Options
    I disagree with the trainer's advice... Anything should be included in moderation.

There is no world in which fruit is bad for you. I understand it's full of sugar but also full of goodness!
  • NaomisGonnaWin
    NaomisGonnaWin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responses so far... I think the primary reason she was advocating dropping them is because of their glycemic index... basically, that I should cut them out because of their natural sugars.

But I thought that sugars were fine if they're natural sugars, not processed sugars, right?
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I'd get a new trainer.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents--good fats come from oils EEVO, coconut, Fish, nuts, nut butter, avocado, and eggs. Berries and apples relatively harmless--end my 2 cents is up.
  • Autumnsun26
    Autumnsun26 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I do NOT agree with this information. The reason for cutting out those types of foods are probably because of the sugars in them. I never realized how much sugar is in tomatoes but I count all my sugars keeping it at 30 g a day. As long as you are logging your eating in moderation I wouldn't worry about that. Do what works for you. Not every thing works for every one.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Ask your trainer for 3 evidence-based-practice articles backing up her claims for eliminating each healthy food.

When people give me wonky advice, I like to put them on the spot and test their knowledge. Appropriate evidence-based-practice includes double-blind, non-commercially-sponsored scientific research.

When your trainer provides the scientific evidence, review them carefully and decide if the evidence and outcomes are convincing enough for you to change your eating behaviors.

Stop taking so-called experts (real life or online) opinions as truth. Learn to read scientific evidence and make your own decisions.
  • eileenm777
    eileenm777 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It might be interesting to try the suggestions for only a week or two, to see if there is any difference. I don't know how I'd live without apples and berries, though!
    I'm unsure as to why berries and apples are on no-no list - usually they're at the top of the 'yes' list because of their fibre content. Mangos are high on the glycemic index, and dairy can affect digestion, so I get that. Was it a detox diet that she gave you?
  • Autumnsun26
    Autumnsun26 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responses so far... I think the primary reason she was advocating dropping them is because of their glycemic index... basically, that I should cut them out because of their natural sugars.

But I thought that sugars were fine if they're natural sugars, not processed sugars, right?

I count ALL sugars natural or otherwise. Sugar is still sugar.
  • suetoo32
    suetoo32 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    On the first phase of South Beach, no fruit is allowed. This lasts for two weeks. Some plans do restrict carrots and tomatoes because of their natural sugars. I have never heard of skim milk or unsweetned yogurt being prohibited, however.

I have learned that the best way to lose weight is to limit your calories and up your activity level - eat less, move mere. And eat a healthy, balanced diet, making sure that there is nutritional value in everything you eat. Nobody ever got fat from eating too much fruit.

Congratulaions on your progress so far!
  • NaomisGonnaWin
    NaomisGonnaWin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It might be interesting to try the suggestions for only a week or two, to see if there is any difference. I don't know how I'd live without apples and berries, though!
    I'm unsure as to why berries and apples are on no-no list - usually they're at the top of the 'yes' list because of their fibre content. Mangos are high on the glycemic index, and dairy can affect digestion, so I get that. Was it a detox diet that she gave you?

Yes, I think it's meant to be a detox diet.... basically "do this for 8 weeks, then after 8 weeks we'll adjust" though I think that even after 8 weeks are up, I'm only supposed to be allowed to eat these foods in small amounts, as treats.

Her advice really didn't sit well with me.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I think having lists of "good foods" and "bad foods" is a great way to have an unhealthy relationship with food.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Yes, I think it's meant to be a detox diet.... basically "do this for 8 weeks, then after 8 weeks we'll adjust" though I think that even after 8 weeks are up, I'm only supposed to be allowed to eat these foods in small amounts, as treats.

Her advice really didn't sit well with me.
    What does say you are detoxing from?
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You have good reason to be skeptical.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Fitness trainers are not nutrition experts. Cutting out most fruits and vegetables that you love would run counter to your goals, don't worry about this "advice" and keep eating good food at a reasonable calorie deficit. There are some fitness-y types who labor under the impression that eating clean means eating boiled chicken without so much as a spec of seasoning five nights a week. Just laugh it off and know that when they crash their binges are epic.
  • ChanceTakr2131
    Options
    I STRONGLY disagree with that!!
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i dont agree at all with what she is telling you. i eat those things on a daily basis and it has not stopped me from losing weight. i can see where some nuts can be higher in calories? i can see if your just eating a ton if fruit that i could be bad? someone with diabetes not balancing fruit can play with blood sugar. and some people dont understand that fruit does have calories. but it does not make those things bad. just eat in moderation and balance your diet. i eat a tomato a day in a salad! no way i would cut that lol! and i love carrots. thought they were good for your eyes. i would ask where she is getting her information!