Just can't seem to figure this out anymore..

Options
Hey guys,

Been using MFP for a couple of years now.. started really well for first 2 years and lost near 5 stone with no gain. Now since last October i went over to America and i didn't overeat at all, but now im back in the past 6 months i've just gained and gained and gained and almost put 2.5 stone back on, doing the exact same count as before..

Could possibly be not eating enough be the problem? I feel like im eating too much though sometimes..

Im in dire straights atm and getting nervously close to where i started.

Replies

• diaryofaskinnygirl
    Options
    Your diary isn't open so I can't really advise you
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who moved from the UK to the USA and gained... are you logging and scanning the exact products you are eating now you are over there or using the same ones from the UK?
    The content even in the same brands can differ.
  • lizardskin
    lizardskin Posts: 10
    Options
    Sorry - don't know how to make my diary public? And I think you may have understood. I am from the UK just went on vacation to USA and just use it as a marker Cus that seems ye point it all went tits up.
  • diaryofaskinnygirl
    Options
    Go to the homepage, click "Settings" on the right of the bar at the top, scroll down, diary options should be there.
  • lizardskin
    Options
    Done that for you. It's a bit hit & miss at times.
  • AAL94LBB
    AAL94LBB Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

Been using MFP for a couple of years now.. started really well for first 2 years and lost near 5 stone with no gain. Now since last October i went over to America and i didn't overeat at all, but now im back in the past 6 months i've just gained and gained and gained and almost put 2.5 stone back on, doing the exact same count as before..

Could possibly be not eating enough be the problem? I feel like im eating too much though sometimes..

Im in dire straights atm and getting nervously close to where i started.

What are you doing for your weight loss? Just following the MFP guidelines? I hit a point where I plateaued and couldn't move forward, then I switched to the TDEE-20% weight-loss method and I've been losing consistently. Message me if you want to know more.
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    I noticed that you're not logging your foods consistently. It's important that you do so, to be aware of exactly what you're eating.

For the days that you've logged, two things stand out for me:

1. You're consuming a lot fewer calories than your allotted amount, by many hundreds of calories per day. Try to eat closer to your goal.

2. A complete lack of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet, and too many carbs. Instead of having both rice and potatoes with a meal, have a smaller portion of one (not both), and add good vegetables, such as green beans, leaf veggies, carrots, etc. (Not corn, though - it's another starch.)
  • lizardskin
    Options
    I noticed that you're not logging your foods consistently. It's important that you do so, to be aware of exactly what you're eating.

For the days that you've logged, two things stand out for me:

1. You're consuming a lot fewer calories than your allotted amount, by many hundreds of calories per day. Try to eat closer to your goal.

2. A complete lack of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet, and too many carbs. Instead of having both rice and potatoes with a meal, have a smaller portion of one (not both), and add good vegetables, such as green beans, leaf veggies, carrots, etc. (Not corn, though - it's another starch.)

Yea, I did begin to think maybe i was eating too much Rice, i was eating it with almost every meal aswell as some type of other carbs. I just struggle sometimes when i eat the full ammount of carbs i feel like im eating way too much and feel guilty.
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    Don't feel guilty! We've all done things that aren't the best for us. Instead, try replacing rice with something else - or mixing it with something healthier, so you eat less rice.

For instance, I sometimes like to mix rice and chopped spinach. You can add a small amount of rice to a lot of spinach, so you're getting a good volume of food without much rice. You can also add pico de gallo.

I have better results when I limit the amount of carbs I have with dinner. I have a piece of bread with breakfast, and a sandwich for lunch, but I try to limit the amount of pasta, rice, or potatoes I have with dinner - and usually don't have any of them, just meat and veggies. I know it's hard to do, but I decided that I would rather save those calories for something else as a snack. Now I don't give it much thought.
  • lizardskin
    Options
    Don't feel guilty! We've all done things that aren't the best for us. Instead, try replacing rice with something else - or mixing it with something healthier, so you eat less rice.

For instance, I sometimes like to mix rice and chopped spinach. You can add a small amount of rice to a lot of spinach, so you're getting a good volume of food without much rice. You can also add pico de gallo.

I have better results when I limit the amount of carbs I have with dinner. I have a piece of bread with breakfast, and a sandwich for lunch, but I try to limit the amount of pasta, rice, or potatoes I have with dinner - and usually don't have any of them, just meat and veggies. I know it's hard to do, but I decided that I would rather save those calories for something else as a snack. Now I don't give it much thought.

Looking back from when i first started in 2010, There isn'tt a big difference in what i eat, primarily the ammount of carbs i think.. because i have always had a sandwich for lunch.. So i guess i'll try cut down on carbs.. I used to find it so easy, weighing things religiously into portion sizes now it seems such a chore because it's not working xD
  • 09NewMe12
    09NewMe12 Posts: 18
    Options
    I am ready to be your cheer leader, and could use a bit of 'you go girl'; myself.
    Are you ready to do this process together...add me
    cheers~ Nat :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you successfully lost weight before with a certain number of calories there is no way you are now putting on weight eating exactly the same, unless you have a medical problem.
  • lizardskin
    Options
    If you successfully lost weight before with a certain number of calories there is no way you are now putting on weight eating exactly the same, unless you have a medical problem.

Not exactly the same but there is nothing stick out. So frustrating.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing everything as religiously as you were before? I only ask because I had a couple of weeks without a kitchen scale (it broke, sob) and was estimating my portion sizes....after all, I had done it for 7 months and I knew how much to eat, right? Wrong! Once I started weighing everything religiously again I realised I was eating far more than I thought I was, and that was only 2 weeks without measuring everything! :noway:
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Just take a deep breath and start again. When you go to another country there are several factors: new foods and drinks to try, you're getting used to the new foods so you're changing your diet again, and new foods at different prices. Bad food is cheaper in the US and good food is really expensive. One rookie mistake I made in Turkey was I ate a lot of yogurt (they have full whole yogurt, not watered down like in the US) and they used "Kaymak" for bread spreads and taste was so light I thought it was fine... Nope, it is made from the fattiest part of milk. Awesome lol. So when you go to other countries, it's easy to gain.
  • lizardskin
    Options
    Just take a deep breath and start again. When you go to another country there are several factors: new foods and drinks to try, you're getting used to the new foods so you're changing your diet again, and new foods at different prices. Bad food is cheaper in the US and good food is really expensive. One rookie mistake I made in Turkey was I ate a lot of yogurt (they have full whole yogurt, not watered down like in the US) and they used "Kaymak" for bread spreads and taste was so light I thought it was fine... Nope, it is made from the fattiest part of milk. Awesome lol. So when you go to other countries, it's easy to gain.

I didn't gain over there. It's just after its kept back on.

RE: scales

Yeah! Actually a possibility my scales did break so wasn't using scales as much. I weigh all my curious out now and rebar it in 30g bags so I don't have to do it everyday xD
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Hard to tell what your food intake has been like lately from your diary. Have you tried looking back at your diary when you were losing weight to see how you were eating then? Maybe you aren't eating as well now as you think you are. Get some more scales and start logging religiously again. You need to make sure you're eating the right amount and try to get in a bit of exercise. Some people don't eat after certain times in the evening so their bodies get a mini fast and others like to keep eating throughout the day to stay satisfied and think it helps keep their metabolism going so that might be something to think about. Also if you work on doing some exercises to build muscle then the muscle will help you burn fat for a good while after you stop working out and strenth training can greatly change your shape. Whatever you do, don't give up!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Use a kitchen scale to help get accurate measures and track, track, track. I'd also suggest not worrying about the carbs, fat, protein aspect and just work on getting the calories in first. Once you've got consistency maybe work with your macros ratios to find something that works for you. Good luck!