Lots of love for oatmeal

Options
I recently started eating oatmeal for breakfast. I used to make myself a fruit smoothie with greek yogurt and a little bit of granola but the granola was very high in sugar and calories. And I would always get hungry around 10 (I eat breakfast at 8 or so). I then would jump on any food I saw, often bad snacks like chips...
Ever since I switched to oatmeal, I feel full until lunch without any problem! I have 1/2 cup (uncooked) and that lasts me all morning!

Now here is the best part. I LOVE oatmeal. And what's even better is that I've discovered a few websites with sooo many delicious recipes for refrigerator, stove-top or even baked, cake-like oatmeal! The combinaisons are endless and all so dessert-like. All for under 350 calories :) I look forward to trying something new every morning ^^

Here's my favorite source of inspiration: http://theoatmealartist.blogspot.co.uk/p/recipe-index.html

Replies

• sophierebizant
    Options
    I absolutely love oatmeal! I've been eating it my whole life and i never get sick of it. My favorite way to have it is with cinnamon, apples, peanut butter, hemp and chia seeds, cooked in the microwave :) so yummy! Oatmeal is definitely a great way to start off every day. Thank you for posting the website!
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Another fan of oatmeal! I toss in some blueberries. Picking up some protein powder today and going to start adding that as well.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I just ran nearly nine miles on one bowl of porridge. Oatmeal = super running fuel.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Just finished a bowl with cinnamon and raisins this morning (and stevia). I love oatmeal, my favorite way is with blueberries, too.
    Bananas and walnuts another favorite, the list goes on and on!
  • DarkLightAngel
    DarkLightAngel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this website! So many of these oatmeal recipes look delicious! I'm definitely going to try a few.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing.

I used to eat cereals with too much sugar.
    I changed to Oatmeal ( Old fashioned kind) and I have never looked back.

Eating oatmeal for breakfast has been very helpful to control my food intake. I lost 23 pounds over 15 months.

I boiled half a cup Oatmeal with 1 cup water, stick cinnamon and raw apple. Once warm, I served it with skim milk, ground cinnamon topping and some seasonal fruit.
  • TLWallperson
    TLWallperson Posts: 125
    Options
    Love my oatmeat to. I eat it every morning with 1 tblespoon sliced almonds. Keeps me satisfied till my next meal.
    My children, on the other hand think it's quite disgusting. Lol. :laugh:
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of making a pot of steel cut oats once during the week and portioning it out into jars for grab and go breakfast.

I've been doing 1c cooked oats + 1 scoop vanilla protein powder + strawberries/blueberries/raspberries/blackberries for a while.

Recently I decided to mix it up and go for some savory flavors in the morning and found these recipes:
    http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/meal-ideas/16-savory-oatmeal-recipes?page=6

The one I've linked to is my favorite so far with lentils, spinach, tomato sauce, and nutritional yeast. :)

Oh, nearly forgot to mention that after four months of near daily oatmeal, my cholesterol went from "we may need to consider medication if this continues" to "SUBSTANTIALLY improved and near normal". :D
  • Franavishay
    Options
    I'm going to start oatmeal tomorrow. My mother taught me that cooked oatmeal keeps in the refrigerator for several days so I am going to,cook up a patch for the next few days and then. Just micro wave it so I have an instant oatmeal breakfast made from a hearty oatmeal that usually takes a while to prepare.
  • skinnydreams1997
    skinnydreams1997 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal! I have it every day for breakfast with some green beans and blueberries or about 1/2 of an apple.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal in many ways, but I always use milk preparing it. On this website I've come across quite a lot of folks making it with just water. I must admit it doesn't seem that good to me that way.

Could you please enlighten me on this? :flowerforyou:
  • diaryofaskinnygirl
    Options
    Oatmeal + Nutella + Chopped Bananas = Happiness
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal saved my life. I was gaining a lot of weight and I was not seeing an end in sight. Back in October I started eating a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast a big bowl 300 calories worth plus sugar and raisins etc... I stopped gaining weight then a couple weeks later I was losing and not even knowing I was losing until one day out of desperation I tried on a pair of pants I hadn't worn for a long time because they didn't fit. I seriously didn't think I would be able to get into them, but I did they were snug but the fit well enough for public. I was so happy with that. A few month's later I ditched having sugar and raisins on my oatmeal and made it savory instead with garlic and onion flavor or salt and pepper with a pat of butter saving another 200 calories.

My cravings for snacks have been all but eliminated. And it's a lot easier to stick to my calorie allowance.
  • pearlywhirl
    Options
    I love making oatmeal with almond milk and a touch of almond extract :) and with some banana, berries, and nuts!
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Love oatmeal too and it's a great pre-run fuel.

This morning I had oatmeal with 1/2 banana, chia seeds, almonds, and 1/4 scoop protein powder. Also great with berries of any sort and apples. Stick to your ribs, keep ya going food!
  • CampKelly
    CampKelly Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    This morning I had 1/2 cup (dry) mixed with vanilla protein powder and cinnamon. I added a couple of Tbsp of raisins, so good!,