Jillian Michaels and the popularity of the 30 Day Shred

Options
I see ALL KINDS of topics on here regarding 30 Day Shred with people posting their successes with it, along with questions like how heavy weights to use and how many calories it burns. There is a topic it seems regarding this workout just about every other day.

It's a WONDERFUL workout - don't get me wrong. It is part of my rotation, and I do look forward to that one. I will pick any two levels if it's my 30 Day Shred day to make the workout a full hour.

However:

Jillian Michaels has so many other fantastic workout DVD's out there that are hardly ever mentioned on these forums. Here are the ones I own that are in rotation 4 to 5x a week:

No More Trouble Zones (Fantastic strength training video)

Banish Fat Boost Metabolism (More cardio based with lots of plyometrics, but it does have some strength moves thrown in)

Six Week Six Pack (Overall body workout - Level 2 is probably the most difficult for me of all the workouts I list here)

Ripped in 30 (4 half hour workouts that follow the same format as the 30 Day Shred)

Killer Buns and Thighs (Exactly what the title says - mostly it's a lower body workout that incorporates both strength training and cardio)

Extreme Shed and Shred (Another of my favorites! Great overall body workout)

Killer Abs (overall body workout with a bit more focus on the midsection)

Hard Body (Overall body workout. Level 1 is good, but level 2 is kind of odd in my opinion)

Kick Box Fast Fix (Kickboxing - it takes a few times to really get the moves down as they can be complex. However, now that I've learned it, it's ton of fun and I really look forward to this one).

The only one I truly don't care for is Yoga Meltdown. I do own it, but it's not part of my rotation as I found it just doesn't give me any kind of a burn, so it's kind of a waste of time.

If you own the 30 Day Shred, you will love these ones too.

Replies

• LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Copy and paste for when I need a new DVD

I love Jillian Michaels. Ive done 30DS. When I get rid of some more fat I'm going to get 6 week 6 pack.
  • bigcrystal123
    bigcrystal123 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    That is so true. I want to try some of her other ones but you hardly hear any success story about them like 30 day shred maybe i should just give them a try
  • lindssaurus
    lindssaurus Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    30 day shred is great. Even with my regular calorie intake I lost a inch off my hips in a week but doing multiple lunges in a short amount of time really hurt my knees. It took 2 weeks for the soreness to go away. Key is to do lunges at your own pace and watch your knee. better to do one good lunge than a few fast Lunges that are incorrect form.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I did Six Week Six Pack this morning. Be warned - Level 2 will seriously kick your *kitten*!

I've been doing this now for over two years, and that workout is still not kind to me!!! What's interesting is Level 1 is probably one of the easier ones of all of the workouts I listed. To make it a full hour, I always start with Level 2 so my energy is fresh, and follow it up with Level 1.

Although by itself Level 1 is pretty easy, the moves are so much more difficult to get through since I'm exhausted from already doing Level 2...
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I agree, I loved 30DS and I am doing RI30 now but I rarely hear anything about any of her other DVD's. I definitely want to try some others ones when I am finished with ripped in 30.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Bump
    I see ALL KINDS of topics on here regarding 30 Day Shred with people posting their successes with it, along with questions like how heavy weights to use and how many calories it burns. There is a topic it seems regarding this workout just about every other day.

It's a WONDERFUL workout - don't get me wrong. It is part of my rotation, and I do look forward to that one. I will pick any two levels if it's my 30 Day Shred day to make the workout a full hour.

However:

Jillian Michaels has so many other fantastic workout DVD's out there that are hardly ever mentioned on these forums. Here are the ones I own that are in rotation 4 to 5x a week:

No More Trouble Zones (Fantastic strength training video)

Banish Fat Boost Metabolism (More cardio based with lots of plyometrics, but it does have some strength moves thrown in)

Six Week Six Pack (Overall body workout - Level 2 is probably the most difficult for me of all the workouts I list here)

Ripped in 30 (4 half hour workouts that follow the same format as the 30 Day Shred)

Killer Buns and Thighs (Exactly what the title says - mostly it's a lower body workout that incorporates both strength training and cardio)

Extreme Shed and Shred (Another of my favorites! Great overall body workout)

Killer Abs (overall body workout with a bit more focus on the midsection)

Hard Body (Overall body workout. Level 1 is good, but level 2 is kind of odd in my opinion)

Kick Box Fast Fix (Kickboxing - it takes a few times to really get the moves down as they can be complex. However, now that I've learned it, it's ton of fun and I really look forward to this one).

The only one I truly don't care for is Yoga Meltdown. I do own it, but it's not part of my rotation as I found it just doesn't give me any kind of a burn, so it's kind of a waste of time.

If you own the 30 Day Shred, you will love these ones too.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    30 day shred is great. Even with my regular calorie intake I lost a inch off my hips in a week but doing multiple lunges in a short amount of time really hurt my knees. It took 2 weeks for the soreness to go away. Key is to do lunges at your own pace and watch your knee. better to do one good lunge than a few fast Lunges that are incorrect form.

This is so, so true. Lunges can be awesome in keeping your knees healthy if done properly by building muscle, but if they are done incorrectly, you can really get hurt. You have to be careful. If your form is suffering, reduce the amount of weight and/or slow down.

I suffered with knee pain for many years while I was overweight. I was overly cautious when first starting these videos as a result, and I am happy to say I have almost no knee pain as a result of doing these exercises and losing the weight.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    Also, if I had to pick two off of this list as my very favorites, I would pick No More Trouble Zones and Kick Box Fast Fix. I like the endorphin rush I get from NMTZ as it is ALL strength training. I feel almost *high* after that workout.

KBFF might piss you off or frustrate you at first since the movements are very complex. However, once you learn it and get it down it's a ton of fun.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I completely agree and 9 times out of 10 when I recommend 30DS to someone, I talk about her other great workouts too.
    Personally I had success with 30DS and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism and my best friend has had lots of success with Ripped in 30 and 6 Week 6 Pack.
    I've heard good things about her Body Revolution programme and No More Trouble Zones.

The Biggest Loser workouts are also worth a mention, very similar in style to Jillian's and she features in quite a few, Bob Harper is great too!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    What I really find interesting too is what workout I might find difficult, somebody else might think it's easy.

I did have a conversation on here awhile back with a person who thought Six Week Six Pack was too easy, and not challenging enough. However, they could barely get through No More Trouble Zones. I find the exact opposite to be true.

Our bodies are all so different, and it doesn't just come down to size and shape.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Jillian doesn't even like 30 Day Shred anymore. On her podcast she said she doesn't understand why people still do it.
  • khall86790
    Options
    What I really find interesting too is what workout I might find difficult, somebody else might think it's easy.

I did have a conversation on here awhile back with a person who thought Six Week Six Pack was too easy, and not challenging enough. However, they could barely get through No More Trouble Zones. I find the exact opposite to be true.

Our bodies are all so different, and it doesn't just come down to size and shape.

Agreed. I struggled a lot with 6W6P but found BFBP pushed me to my limits enough I could complete it (and then die afterwards, haha) whereas my best friend said the opposite that she couldn't get through the first 3 circuits of BFBP but right now she does 6W6P and 30DS back to back as part of her daily workouts.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    Jillian doesn't even like 30 Day Shred anymore. On her podcast she said she doesn't understand why people still do it.

Really? That's kind of funny. I mean, I certainly don't think it's a bad workout - I'm just kind of surprised that it's so popular here while none of her other workouts are usually mentioned. Did she say why she didn't like it?
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You forgot to mention Body Revolution, I think.
  • khall86790
    Options

Really? That's kind of funny. I mean, I certainly don't think it's a bad workout - I'm just kind of surprised that it's so popular here while none of her other workouts are usually mentioned. Did she say why she didn't like it?

I remember this it was something about her just saying it was old/dated.
    I think it's crazy she said it too but maybe she was trying to promote new techniques she is using now? You'd think she'd still be promoting it as people have had such good success stories from it!
  • mworthen
    mworthen Posts: 11
    Options
    I am currently doing the Jillian Michaels body revolution. It's a killer but I love it!!! I am going to buy more of her DVDs.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options

You're right, I did forget that one. You have to buy that one all in one package, and it's around $100. I'm cheap, so I found it was easier wallet wise buying one DVD at a time for $10, and slowly adding to my collection.
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

You're right, I did forget that one. You have to buy that one all in one package, and it's around $100. I'm cheap, so I found it was easier wallet wise buying one DVD at a time for $10, and slowly adding to my collection.

I aint cheap I am just skint so I will have to wait till it appears on a car boot sale (flea market, I think they are in USA) ha ha ha
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I think 30 Day Shred gets so much attention because it's cheap, good for beginners, an overall body workout, and tends to give good results. Agreed that people should mention the other great DVDs, though. Thanks for posting a list!
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I think 30 Day Shred gets so much attention because it's cheap, good for beginners, an overall body workout, and tends to give good results. Agreed that people should mention the other great DVDs, though. Thanks for posting a list!

Yes, and don't forget: getting results with less than 30minutes per day. It's good for getting people hooked. Then when they're ready to commit more time to working out, moving to some of the more involved workouts.