Sudden Unexplained Nausea After Eating? :(

Options
2»

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have to agree with everyone saying go to a doctor. A virus sounds like the least bad thing it could be and in that case you will feel better as soon as it runs it's course. And if it's a virus a doctor will be able to tell you maybe what you can eat that you will be able to keep down.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    if it was a virus, you cant do anything about it. it will go away on its own. I would get checked up anyway. you never know what it is.

but the BRAT diet is supposed to be low residual food and the food is supposed to be easily tolerated. if you get nausea it could be something else.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the doctor. Could be gallbladder, celiac, food poisoning, flu, tumor, reflux, ovarian cysts (yup, they can cause nausea and vomiting), or even something weird like gastroparesis from a bug you were exposed to. Without seeing you, palping your belly to get a better baseline, and possibly running some tests, it's probably impossible to know exactly what it is.

If you've got the means with which to see your family doc, that's probably the best idea and will be more reassuring than what we could possibly come up with. Hope you feel better...
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are sick, if it progresses more than 4-5 days I'd go and see a doctor just to clear it up.
  • dianeb613
    dianeb613 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Definitely consult a doctor.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Whoa yall- calm down- No reason to jump straight to cancers and impending death from this and terrify her.

Just go to your doctor. Seeing as it's a Sunday, and Monday's Memorial Day (if your in the US) you could go to an urgent care facility instead. If there isn't one near you, or it isn't open, call the emergency department at your local hospital to see what they would recommend, and if you should go to the emergency room.

Part of what's going on could also be perpetuated by dehydration from throwing up. Until you can get in to see a doctor, take tiny sips of warm water if you can, and alternate with Pedialyte (it tastes awful, though, I'm sorry).
  • jenniferwren
    jenniferwren Posts: 189
    Options
    Go to the doctor!!! Buy a pregnancy test!
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Whoa yall- calm down- No reason to jump straight to cancers and impending death from this and terrify her.

For real. I hate seeing that crap
    BRB LET ME GOOGLE IT!
    IT MAY BE CANCER!

People dont realize how many illnesses can cause this.

As I finished with all of my medical classes in nursing school, you can start imagining symptoms upon yourself. it is pretty insane.
  • LisaY76
    LisaY76 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This really is not an issue you should be seeking advice from on MFP. Yes, there may be some doctors/Nurses on here that will give advice on how to reduce nausea. But, ALL of them should tell you the same thing, with out seeing you in person and/or knowing your medical history, they cannot give you adequate advice. My suggestion would be to go to the Emergency Department if it is bothering you that much or wait until Tuesday (Since Monday is a holiday) to make an appointment to see your Primary Care Physician. It could be something as simple as a virus or something more serious. But you may need certain tests performed to determine that actual cause of you issue.

Good luck... I hope you feel better soon :)
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options

BRB LET ME GOOGLE IT!
    IT MAY BE CANCER!

As I finished with all of my medical classes in nursing school, you can start imagining symptoms upon yourself. it is pretty insane.

I'm right there with you! I finish in December! We all started self diagnosing, especially around final exam time. And especially during PMHN. Haha! :drinker: Cheers!
  • DatMurse
    Options

BRB LET ME GOOGLE IT!
    IT MAY BE CANCER!

I'm right there with you! I finish in December! We all started self diagnosing, especially around final exam time. And especially during PMHN. Haha! :drinker: Cheers!

Me too! when I said I finished all my medical classes, I just have community, leadership, and ethics left.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just get a bad bug that is hard to get rid of... It's best just to go see the doctor. I got nauseated from being constipated a couple of times along my weight loss journey... (seriously, I know that is TMI, but it is important stuff) When the weather drops or rises more than 20 degrees, I get a little nausea.

We are all here on MFP because our health matters. There is a reason we should all see our doctors if the new habits we are trying to develop suddenly cause unpleasant side effects.

Good luck and update us!
  • alibb1234
    Options
    I have similar problems. I have been have indigestion for many years now but recently I start to get nausea too, sometimes accompanied by deep breathing.

Actually it started quite awhile ago when I suddenly got this very bad motion sickness on a short bus trip. But I never did vomited. After that, I start to get nausea on and off and I've no idea what triggers it.

I went to a doctor who thinks that I am having these symptoms because I am unhappy (anxiety/panic attack) and its due to my job (I am taking short odd jobs). I don't know if he is right. I get symptoms when I am working ... but it is not absent when I don't work.

I really hope to get rid of these problems and lead a better life. Can anyone help?
  • fitnesspals4ever
    Options
    Hey folks,

I'm getting discouraged and need some advice... For the last three days, I have been experiencing extremely strong nausea every time I eat or drink something. It could be just a spoonful of broth and my stomach will be churning. If I eat enough, I'll experience forceful vomiting, often until around 3 am. The strange thing is that if I eat nothing at all, I have no nausea whatsoever.

At this point I am becoming very frustrated because it's lasting so long and I cannot eat or drink. Do you have any ideas on what might be wrong with me and whether there are any cures? I know for certain that I am not pregnant. As for food poisoning, I cannot think of anything that could have caused this reaction. The last meal I had before feeling sick was a simple wheat bread + turkey sandwich. The turkey was not expired and smelled clean. I threw it away anyway ...

• fitnesspals4ever
    Options
    HELLO!
    I HAD THE SAME EXACT SYMPTOMS. I AM EMETOPHOBIC (AFRAID TO VOMIT). SO FOR ME FEELING LIKE THAT WAS A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE. I DECIDED TO GO THE DOCTOR. TO SEE WHAT WAS GOING ON, BECAUSE I DID NOT FEEL THE SAME. I WANTED THE OLD ME TO COME BACK.. I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL. AFTER GOING TO THE DOCTOR HE GAVE ME ANTI ACID MEDICATION AND ANTI NAUSEA. HE SAID I HAD ACID REFLUX. THE MEDICINE HE GAVE ME, DID NOT DO MUCH. I DECIDED TO GO TO ANOTHER DOCTOR BUT THEY GAVE ME MORE ACID REFLUX MEDICATION, TO MAKE THE STORY SHORT I WENT TO A TOTAL OF 6 DIFFERENT DOCTORS. NOTHING MADE ME FEEL GREAT, SOME MEDICATION MADE ME FEEL BETTER FOR AN HR BUT AGAIN I WOULD GET THE SAME HORRIBLE SYMPTOMS, THE MEDICINE WAS EVEN GIVING ME SIDE EFFECTS LIKE DEPRESSION, SUICIDAL THOUGHTS, AND PAIN IN MY STOMACH. FINALLY THE 6TH DOCTOR RECOMMENDED ME TO A GASTRONOLOGIST, AND I GOT AN ENDOSCOPY, WHEN I GOT THE PICTURES OF MY STOMACH AND THE DVD. MY STOMACH SHOWED THAT I HAD A LOT OF ACID, MY STOMACH WAS BLACK AND GRAY IT LOOKED SCARY. IT WAS LIKE THAT FROM DRINKING WATER BOTTLES AND ALL THE ACIDIC FOODS I HAD BEEN CONSUMING FOR SUCH ALONG TIME, I AM 26 YEARS OLD. I STARTED EATING BAD WHEN I WAS 15. BECAUSE OF EATING ALOT OF ACIDIC FOODS WHICH IS WHAT THE AMERICAN DIET CONSISTS OF, THE DOCTOR GAVE ME A 30 DAY SUPPLY OF MORE MEDS BUT AGAIN THEY DID NOT WORK.. SO I DECIDED TO DO SOME RESEARCH, NOW THAT I KNEW WHAT I HAD.. I FOUND A 100 PERCENT NATURAL SYSTEM WITH NO CHEMICALS SIDE EFFECTS, ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, COLORS PRESERVATIVES. I AM SO GRATEFUL FOR. THAT GOT RID OF MY NAUSEA AND GOT RID OF ALL THE ACID IN MY BODY AND I EVEN LOST SOME POUNDS,I FEEL GREAT NOW AND I WANT TO SHARE IT, BECAUSE IF IT WORKED FOR ME I AM SURE IT CAN WORK FOR YOU. IF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO (PM) ME,
  • heavenscent100
    Options
    I'm 67 years old and have had nausea after eating and drinking for about 3-4 years now, sometimes accompanied by diarrhea, but not always.
    I can't even chew ice without it happening. I feel like I'm living on Alka Seltzer, the only thing that gets me past it.
  • manusreekumar
    Options
    The prob is u had eaten aspirin .I think its the culprit here
  • joyceharris520
    Options
    i have had this for 2 yrs i have went to a gadtro dr colooscopy no results.as soon as i eat and i eat 1 x a day i get severe pain in stomach,nausea and sometimes vomiting.i loive on phernegrn and zofran .i had a mni stroke last yr and it started with this severe pain after i ate normal easter dinner.was in hospital for a week i was in such severe stomach pain i had a stroke.i still have not found out what is wrong i am looking for a good gastro dr here in mboro,tn area .sometimes the rx's do not help my nausea anymore so when i eat i have to be ready to go home or be at home.so i hope you find what is wrong i have given up finding an answer.Drs.say you can not have immed.pain,diareha after you eat it take awhile but i have had it literally go right thru me.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Get your gall bladder checked! My daughter is having urgent surgery tomorrow morning early - same symptoms.