How to recover from a bad day?

Options
I ate rather a lot Friday and Saturday due to birthday parties etc, putting me way over my calorie goal. Should I eat less for a few days, or just carry on as before?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Carry on as before. Dont punish yourself for having a life!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Chalk it up to experience and start over tomorrow. One day of bad eating won't make you fat, just like one day of eating healthy won't make you skinny.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Everyone does it. Get back on the horse and carry on with your program.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    no, dont eat less!! just workout more!!! if its only a few days, sometimes it helps n doesnt hurt. how hard n often do u workout?
  • Thena81
    Options
    Chalk it up to experience and start over tomorrow. One day of bad eating won't make you fat, just like one day of eating healthy won't make you skinny.

i love this!!^^^
  • viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    No, I would write those days off.I think sometimes we need to take a day out otherwise the whole thing can become obsessive and then we start beating ourselves up for failing and then give up. Having a treat day does no harm as long as it doesn't happen on a regular basis.
  • djkronyx
    djkronyx Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Well said!
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    Just pretend like it never happened and carry on. You never want to get in the habit of punishing yourself every time you have a slip up. It's a viscous cycle!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    no, dont eat less!! just workout more!!! if its only a few days, sometimes it helps n doesnt hurt. how hard n often do u workout?
    I actually disagree with this. I would carry on eating as normal, and exercising as normal. If you exercise more to atone for "bad eating", you're not only feeding into the mentality that you need to be punished for eating too much, but you're setting up exercise as something that is punishment, instead of something you do for enjoyment and/or to take care of yourself.

It's life. Some days you'll be under your goal, some days over, and some days exactly where you want to be. You've just got to make sure that hitting your goal (or thereabouts) is the norm.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    remember that you are eating at a deficit - so going over your target will not likely result in a weight gain (well, that depends on how much over, of course).

Just keep on track and you should be just fine!
  • blinkinglights
    blinkinglights Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just try and get back into eating normally :) depriving yourself of food to make up for a bad day will just create physiological pressures to eat, so you're more likely to end up having another bad day! Also, it's good to get comfortable with occasionally going over your calorie goal so you don't freak out whenever it happens. Good luck!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think there's any problem with cutting a few calories the next day when you go way over. When I have a high-calorie day, I often reclaim some of my deficit the next day (and/or the day before if it's planned).
  • Thena81
    Options
    I actually disagree with this. I would carry on eating as normal, and exercising as normal. If you exercise more to atone for "bad eating", you're not only feeding into the mentality that you need to be punished for eating too much, but you're setting up exercise as something that is punishment, instead of something you do for enjoyment and/or to take care of yourself.

It's life. Some days you'll be under your goal, some days over, and some days exactly where you want to be. You've just got to make sure that hitting your goal (or thereabouts) is the norm.

i understand where u r coming from and i can respect it. i asked because if i eat low too many days, ill eat more on my cheat days and if i over eat, i do tend to exercise more. the alcohol i always want to work off.
  • InfinityStars
    Options
    Hmm, I dance (quite intensive) twice a week for around 2 hours, and then I normally walk about 2 miles a day. I don't actually work out that much :/
  • InfinityStars
    Options
    Thank you for all your help!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think there's any problem with cutting a few calories the next day when you go way over. When I have a high-calorie day, I often reclaim some of my deficit the next day (and/or the day before if it's planned).
    I think if you're in a good place about it mentally, then it's fine. Intermittent fasting, calorie cycling etc... they work fine for some people. I think getting into the mentality of "oh no I've eaten bad foods"/"I've messed up" and "I need to recover from this"/"I need to make up for my bad eating" etc is not a good direction to go in.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I think if you're in a good place about it mentally, then it's fine. Intermittent fasting, calorie cycling etc... they work fine for some people. I think getting into the mentality of "oh no I've eaten bad foods"/"I've messed up" and "I need to recover from this"/"I need to make up for my bad eating" etc is not a good direction to go in.

I agree with this, especially about where you are mentally. If you get into a mentality where it is okay to go over and then make up for it, it can become an all too regular occurrence and it's easy to lose track plus the mix of foods will lean toward the unhealthy side. If it really is a rare thing, it doesn't matter what you do as long as you don't allow it to affect your overall approach to eating.
  • slick_fox
    slick_fox Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Care on as before. Just go back to your program. Take heart and stay on track. We all do this.
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Carry on as before. Dont punish yourself for having a life!

^^^ This
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Eat like normal. Try to fit in an extra hour of activity somewhere. Go for a bike ride or something.

My SIL is in town. We always have more than usual so I try to hike an extra couple of miles each day.