Down weight after rest day

Options
I normally weigh myself on Saturday and in the last few weeks have been up and down but when I weigh myself on a Monday after my rest day I seem to be down , is tis because I am retaining water after my weekly workouts and after my rest day my body lets go off the water ? Sunday also happens to be my cheat day

Replies

• areeves86
    areeves86 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    My unofficial, unstudied, unscientific, unsupported opinion is that your body holds on to water to try to prevent dehydration during exercise and then is diuresing when at rest because it can use the extra fluids to flush out your system.

I'm sure I'll be debunked shortly...

Edit: well actually I did study cellular osmosis in nursing school...
  • bigmike1974
    bigmike1974 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Seriously, you want to weigh yourself daily and look at the trend in your weight. It is only since I have been tracking the trend and not worrying about the daily values I have found this time (diet / lifestyle change whatever you want to call it) to be a breeze (mentally). Over the last 20 years I have tried pretty much every diet under the sun, maple syrup and lemon juice through atkins , low fat high carb, high fat low carb, 5:2 etc. but checking my weight always got me down because I would hit plateaus or put weight on when I had been "good", now I can finally see what is happening (looking at the trend) and it is basically a downward slope which is SO encouraging. To the point I bought some jeans with a 32inch waist today, the bloody things didn't fit but I know within 6 to 8 weeks they will :)

In this last week I have lost 0.5kg (1lb) or 71g (2 1/2oz) a day. my weight has varied between 93.7 and 90.8kg (so 92.5 kg +/-1.75kg) if I had only measured myself on the 93.7kg day I would be bloody miserable now! Many people consume 2-3 litres of fluid a day and 1-1.5 kg of food a day so it is hardly surprising that how "empty" you are has a significant effect!

Hope that helps, to me it has made the biggest difference to how I feel when losing weight.

Cheers,

Mike
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    pretty much what mustang susie said.

best day of the week to weigh yourself is the day after a rest day.
  • MACnificence
    MACnificence Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Oh I couldn't deal with weighing myself daily , my nerves would be shattered watching my weight fluctuate daily and plus my boyfriend would freak out he gives out if I weigh myself more than once a week.. I never had this problem till I joined the gym I was consistently down but since I started the gym my weight has been up and down the whole time but seems to be down on the Monday but was up again today (Saturday) and I'm wondering will it be back down Monday again !!
    I'm finding it hard to deal with seeing a higher number on the scale even though it could be water weight I can't help but feel disheartened
  • MACnificence
    MACnificence Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have opinion on this ?
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try to get a "rest day" soon and test this theory. I was going to say rest tomorrow, but going hiking and fishing so that blew that one. Oh well. Maybe I'll take one Monday.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Google cellular osmosis and homeostasis
  • bigmike1974
    bigmike1974 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it hard to deal with seeing a higher number on the scale even though it could be water weight I can't help but feel disheartened

Bingo, precisely what derailed me over and over again. Each to there own, not sure whilst weighing yourself daily should be a big deal but if we were all the same then it would be boring wouldn't it :) Personally it is just part of my daily routine, roll out of bed, go toilet, hop on scale, record result on smartphone then go and walk the dogs.

I would of thought daily measurement would have been more important for a woman than a man as you have some fairly significant hormonal variations throughout the month that are even more likely to mask things?

Anyway, if you are interested (and I am sure you aren't but maybe someone else will be :) ) Be warned it is quite nerdy!

http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/

If you get as far as "Dexters diet" I am sure it will look familiar :)

On a more practical level, if weighing yourself once a week is getting you down why not use some other means of tracking progress? Maybe measuring yourself with a tape once a week would be better?
    From my perspective 90% of the battle is with our own minds, I've found what works for me (I am just disappointed that it took the best part of 20 years to find it!) and I am sure you will figure something out, there are plenty of good people on here who have succeeded and are willing to share their experiences.

Cheers,

Mike