How do I get slimmer arms?!

Options
I really hate my arms!

Little bit of information about me:
I have dumbbells - 1kg, 1.5kg and 2.5kg
Not much experience at lifting
I do a lot of Blogilates videos (I've been doing the Victoria's Secret Arms workout the past few days - any opinions/stories about that?)
I weigh around 180lbs

I'd love to have nicer arms for summer - I always notice that my arms look terrible in what I'm wearing but I find them the hardest to target so any advice about what I can do?

Replies

• NikkiiiT
    NikkiiiT Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree i'm also looking for some advice to make my arms slimmer because I always go for tops and dresses with longer sleeves and it's a nightmare in the summer!

I've been doing a lot of Wii Boxing and Tennis this week hoping to see a difference so i'll let you know how I get on with that :)
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. If you feel your arms are too large due to fat, you need to be put on a caloric deficit and work out.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. If you feel your arms are too large due to fat, you need to be put on a caloric deficit and work out.

This!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Genetics trumps just about everything. Some females are predisposed to holding fat in certain places while others don't have an issue with it.
    As mentioned above, there's no way to directly target any part of the body with exercise to slim it down. Calorie deficit is what reduces overall body fat and you just stick with it till you get the results in body fat % you desire.
    You can work out arms to condition and "harden" up the muscle, but that by no means mean you'll burn more fat off of them from doing it. You should still exercise to be fit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sophiegrace543
    sophiegrace543 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reassurance that cardio is the way to go.
    Can anyone suggest any good toning exercises for arms?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Strength training is better for fat loss than cardio
  • Bridget0227
    Options
    I started off at 180 and am almost 149 in 6 months. BUY INSANITY!!! I never thought I would ever lose weight on my arms. I had cellulite even on my arms and I have definition now. It's amazing b/c there is so much cardio but you also see results! My 1st round I lost 18 inches and the 2nd round I lost 15 pounds.
  • sophiegrace543
    Options
    I started off at 180 and am almost 149 in 6 months. BUY INSANITY!!! I never thought I would ever lose weight on my arms. I had cellulite even on my arms and I have definition now. It's amazing b/c there is so much cardio but you also see results! My 1st round I lost 18 inches and the 2nd round I lost 15 pounds.

I wish I could but I can no way afford it!
  • Shiroi
    Shiroi Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Like people have said, we can't really spot reduce, but there is a free 10 minute video on Youtube that I've done before that helps work out your arms. I don't know if it will help, but I think it's worth a try. Also, it may look like nothing, but trust me, it made my arms burn! Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvE0uQRM5-A
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options

Strength training is better for fat loss than cardio

Also, strength training is going to help you develop muscles in your arms which will improve the look of them.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options

I wish I could but I can no way afford it!

I would imagine you can youtube all of the Insanity work outs by now.
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options

I don't think anyone said cardio was the way to go did they? Maybe I missed that bit? Cardio in itself won't solve your problem. As said above it's keeping a constant calorie deficit that will reduce overall fat. Strength training will help the appearance of the muscle so when you do lose the fat covering the muscle you will have kick *kitten* arms lol.
  • sophiegrace543
    Options

I don't think anyone said cardio was the way to go did they? Maybe I missed that bit? Cardio in itself won't solve your problem. As said above it's keeping a constant calorie deficit that will reduce overall fat. Strength training will help the appearance of the muscle so when you do lose the fat covering the muscle you will have kick *kitten* arms lol.

I meant that in response to Hexahedra's comment that if I feel my arms are too big due to fat, calorie deficit and working out will help and the way that I find best to lose fat by working out is a combination of strength training and cardio. I wasn't sure how much cardio would help this but from what he said and knowing the way that my body loses fat best, I've been reassured that cardio will help for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options

I meant that in response to Hexahedra's comment that if I feel my arms are too big due to fat, calorie deficit and working out will help and the way that I find best to lose fat by working out is a combination of strength training and cardio. I wasn't sure how much cardio would help this but from what he said and knowing the way that my body loses fat best, I've been reassured that cardio will help for me.
    Most people don't understand what cardio is. It's still exercise and burns calories. Calories first derived from glycogen. Burning more calories helps with calorie deficit. Cardio works for the heart, but does little to actually work skeletal muscle. You can do cardio and still eat wrong and not lose any fat weight.
    So ensure your calorie deficit is correct.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options

This is the only thing that has ever worked for me.