Jogging for beginners...

Options
Hey Guys!
I've recently started jogging (or attempting to). I am building up how long I can go without stopping but my walk stops are quite frequent and it is angering me. Today every time I tried to push through again I'd go for a little while (literally a few mins) before stopping again.
Do you have any tips to get motivated and push through? Also I think part of the problem might be my pacing- is it better to run faster for short distances or slower for longer?
Also, I realised quite quickly in today that because of the weather the park (and the route towards it) were packed which I think put me off.
Anyone's personal stories/ tips/ advice would be appreciated!!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I went from being an absolute non-runner to being able to run 30 minutes non-stop with the c25k program. It's a 9 week plan that has you out there 3 days a week, with walk/run intervals, gradually building you up to less walking, more running, until you can run 30 minutes (or 5k) without walking. Sounds like it might be what you're looking for. :smile:

There are many programs out there, they are all similar, but you can check out an overview online here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

And then if you've got a smart phone or iPod, download an app. I used one called c25kFREE by Zen Labs - worked great, let me play my music with it if I wanted to, and gave clear instructions on warm up, when to walk, when to run, cool down, etc.

Follow the plan, make sure you have good shoes, and go as slowly as you need to in order to complete each day's time. Slow running is still running! Don't worry about distance or speed, just complete the time - the rest will come later.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Why not slow it down and see if you can increase your run time and distance? Once you can run a mile or two straight through then focus on speeding up a bit. Also give yourself mini goals. I do that when I am running a long(er) distance and I am starting to peter out or I started too fast. I will picture my route in my head and give a goal like "Ok. Just get to the bend in the road." Or "The next stop sign" etc and it keeps me going.

You can do it. Don't get discouraged. Just go slow and then increase speed. Runnning can be very enjoyable (but if you were to ask my husband he will definitely disagree lol).
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Why would it anger you? It's not about motivation, it's about what your body can actually do. No one can just up and run 10 miles with no experience.

I also highly recommend the c25k programme, or something similar. It's built around intervals (which is what you're already doing) but it gives you a structured plan for building up your distance of running. I completed it last year and now run 3x a week. Whatever you do, aim for building up the distance to start with, while you're still a beginner. Speed can come later. While you're running, go as slow as you can and still be running. As your fitness improves, you will want to push to go faster, but it takes a while for your legs to adapt. Take it slow and stop being so hard on yourself!
  • woahohjme
    woahohjme Posts: 28
    Options
    I started running awhile ago (few months?) and I couldnt even make it down my driveway without stopping (I do have a very very long drive way) but my point is I probably couldnt even make it like a quarter of a mile without stopping. But I kept at it and now I got up to 3.4 miles without stopping. What I have to do is pace myself..If I try to sprint I can't go that long. I want to build my endurance then I;ll work on speed. But what I noticed for myself is build yourself a very very upbeat play list. If I listen to a good playlist while running it takes my mind off of it:) hope it helps!
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper is an app for your phone which is great for when you start out. It tells you the distance, the time it took, average speed and an estimate of calories burnt. I like that every 2km and every 5 minutes that pass, it talks over my music to tell me how I'm doing. It helps me to speed up/slow down and gauge how far I think I can hit before I feel wiped out. It's also been great for pushing me to do an extra km when I feel like I want to give up.
  • Shiroi
    Shiroi Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I usually walk/run in a park that's about two miles (if I do the short route). What I usually do is jog from light post to light post non stop, and the walk the next interval, and then jog the next , etc. I think for me, it helps, because seeing a visual goal keeps me motivated to keep going. Try focusing on a specific spot to run to, maybe it will help you to keep going. :D If you keep at it, your stamina will surely go up and you will be able to go father each time.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Another vote for couch to 5k. It's a fabulous program that safely guides you from running 60 seconds at a time to running 30 minutes at a time. Give that a shot. My advice is to slow down. No, slower than that. Build your endurance slowly and safely by logging lots and lots of miles at a comfortable (for you) pace. That pace is the one where you can carry on a conversation-not be gasping for breath. Speed will come with time. My first miles were "run" at almost 17 min/mile pace. So look up couch to 5k, and slow down (a lot).
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options
    It just takes time, practice, and patience, to be honest.

I started running after I quit smoking in 2008. When I began I couldn't go for more than 30 seconds without feeling like I was about to die, so I did the 'jog 30 seconds, walk 2 minutes, jog 30 seconds, walk 1 minute' thing until I could run for longer and longer periods of time. I also had to "learn" how to run by experimenting with strides and speeds. I found I do best with a shorter, quicker stride and a medium speed, with a lighter footfall. It took me awhile before I had it figured out, but I kept on and kept on. Pretty soon it was 5 months down the line and I was running in the park for 2 hours without a rest!

Don't be discouraged, and don't give up. Remember that new activities take time to get used to, and you have to allow yourself that time in order to learn what works best for you.
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Another vote here for Couch to 5K.
    I started it mid-January, had never run before in my life so it was tough going when I started, but I stuck with the program and trusted it completely.
    Now I run nearly 6KM 3 times a week, and I'm getting faster.
    In my opinion - i's fine to be slow, you'll get faster as you go - concentrate on slower, but completing each challenge.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I started with c25k last year, took a break and am doing a 10k plan this year. they both practically start with 30 seconds run, 1 minute walk. so you're doing good :-)
    i still smile when i pass the place where i turned back on my first run (i run on a trail and turn back after half the allotted time). that run must have been less than 1k. well, plus whatever it took to walk to the trail and back. i am almost embarrassed (NOT). lucky i started in february, and noone was out in the snow to see me struggling :-)
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'll toss in yet another recommendation for using a C25K app. I'm on week 4 of the one from Active.com, which lasts 9 weeks. I also signed up for a couple of 5Ks this fall as added motivation. That might help you if you tend to be a goal oriented person. You can always repeat weeks if you find a certain week too difficult. Good luck! I went from being someone who despises running and only started it to see if I could conquer an old enemy to someone who looks forward to my C25K sessions.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I also recommend the C25K program. I went from a non-runner to jogging for 35 minutes straight in 9 weeks. I couldn't jog the 5K in that time and am still working on that but I can now run 50 minutes at a stretch.
    Take it slow....very slow....paced. That's the key.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    There's nothing at all wrong with walking a little. I'm assuming you're running recreationally... it's not like you're planning on becoming an Olympic athlete or something. Heck, I've even won my age group in a 5k, finishing in 25:30, with walk intervals.

Here's a couple of my Runkeeper logs.

Here, I just ran. No walk breaks.
    just-run.jpg

Here, I had walk breaks every so often.
    run-walk.jpg

My average pace was almost the same. It makes very little difference, except that running is much more enjoyable for me if I allow myself walk intervals. And if I enjoy something, I'm more likely to continue doing it. Sometimes I even stop and take pictures while out running! :laugh: