do you know how to curb SUGAR cravings?

Options
is there a magic supplement or Herb out there that I don't know about. I have heard that following a certain diet can help eliminate sugar cravings. Anyone have advice for me?

Thanks

Replies

• TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Sorry I dont, but I did just figure out for me that the artificial sweetners (Splenda, aspartame etc) in the "sugar free" and "diet" foods/drinks I was consuming were what was making me crave carbs and sweets. Once I stopped taking in these things for a week, the cravings are gone.
  • phitme
    phitme Posts: 124
    Options
    For me, it takes eliminating them from my diet. When I eat sugar & simple carbs, I wan them and only them. I am that person that can't eat "just one" cookie, brownie, whatever.

I do find that the less I have this stuff, the less my body craves it.
  • dfwtxmissy
    dfwtxmissy Posts: 102
    Options
    I have found on those rare occasions when I crave sugar, I get a popsicle..the long ones in plastic you put in the freezer..40 cals and no guilt...stops my craving dead and is very refreshing...especially now...I live in Texas, same area code as hell....
  • PJRiner
    PJRiner Posts: 58
    Options
    Brush your teeth, simple but true!
  • Vanessa1977
    Options
    Gymnema 4g
    It's a supplement used for people with diabetes to curb their sugar cravings

plus the less sugar you have the less you crave
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Rhodiola Rosea, it helps with stress & anxiety & has no side-effects. It also inadvertantly helps with sugar cravings since you're not stressing or overly anxious about absolutely nothing :happy: My Big Sister & BIL recommended it (personal fit trainers, nutritionalist etc own their own health-food store) and in the last month that is what I noticed. Exercise also helps since when your metabolism speeds up, your body tends to "crave" things that are better for it :flowerforyou:
  • TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I was having a hard time with sugar and drinking pop. I am currently using the Biofirm cleanse and it has helped me eliminate pop completely from my life (i used to drink up to 8 cans a day!) and I have cut way back on my sugar intake as well. I feel 100% better. The first few days I was using the cleanse I had really bad headaches but I was told it was from the caffeine and sugar withdrawal, which makes sense, after the 3rd day the headaches were gone and I have no desire to have a pop. In fact I am now drinking at least 6 bottles of water a day!! I bought myself a juice yesterday and couldn't believe how sugary it was, I only drank half of it because it was to sweet. Hope this helps!!!:smile:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Yes! :happy: Apple Cider Vinegar. Follow this link for a previous thread about vinegar and carb cravings.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/83045-apple-cider-vinegar-helps-conquer-carb-cravings
  • Losetheweightnat
    Losetheweightnat Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I will have to look up some of those things you guys mentioned because I too struggle with sugar cravings..Lol! :blushing:
  • patricepeop
    patricepeop Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I eat a pickle or olives instead! It works for me! Cutting them out is rough for a few weeks. When I really can't take it anymore I have sugar free chocolate.
  • JustVibeWithMe
    Options
    Hello there I know what you mean... recently on Rachel Ray she did a study on 3 women who work in the dessert industry they tried 3 items to help suppress their cravings check it out here: http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/show/segments/view/human-lab-appetite-suppresants/

1. Aroma Works Suppress
    2. Sensa Weight-Loss System
    3. Sinfully Delicious Candy
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    I really think its a mental thing- like eating when you're not hungry! I need to get a grip on this! I have been doing so well since Feb. I can't cave now!!!

thank you all for your advice!
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    For me, it takes eliminating them from my diet. When I eat sugar & simple carbs, I wan them and only them. I am that person that can't eat "just one" cookie, brownie, whatever.

I do find that the less I have this stuff, the less my body craves it.

This is what has worked for me as well. . .the less I have of sugar, the less I want it. That first 2 - 3 weeks of really limiting yourself is the hardest, then the cravings seem to ease off (or for me anyways) Good luck!!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    There was an interesting article on WebMD: http://forums.webmd.com/3/diet-exchange/forum/1394
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    "Yes! :happy: Apple Cider Vinegar. Follow this link for a previous thread about vinegar and carb cravings.:"

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/83045-apple-cider-vinegar-helps-conquer-carb-cravings
    So true!!! I take mine in pill form totally vanishes cravings! Also artifical sweetners---all of them are bad news also have some healthy fats in your diet your body needs them and u will crave more junk if u do'nt have them.
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    Many moons go I did the brown rice diet. It is not a special weight loss solution but a method to learn about food sensitivities.ie. I was having health issues and as part of my treatment and diagnosis I was put on this diet. You end up eliminating all of the food that is essentially potential triggers food cravings, illness, allergies etc. It was not pleasant at first, because as your body adjusts to sugar/cafeine loss etc the head aches you get are astounding. That is day two! However at the seven day mark I felt amazing. It was years ago and I still remember the energy, no junk food cravings, no mood issues, sugar was like this distant memory, I just felt so much better. I know that it would be quite easy to find the diet as it is a tool used by nutritionists. It is not some gimmick. Also I did lose a lot of weight, the stomach was gone and sugar was history. A very good friend of mine does an elimination or brown rice diet every six weeks or so in an effort to curb the sugar. The problem is the social difficulties of eliminating so may food choices. Not that it is right or good but we are sugar loving society! I hope this helps. I am struggling with my sugar and junk-food cravings right now as well. The brown rice diet is one that I should do . But you have to really commit and I get a lot of satisfaction with these bad food choices right now so personally I am not ready to handle this. P.S. The brown rice elimination diet allows you to reintroduce sugars etc. into your diet so it is not a lifetime commitment, just have the advil ready!!!:drinker: