Can I workout with plantar fasciitis?

Ugh!! I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis 4 weeks ago and I stopped my C25K program. I have been walking, yoga, and exercise videos. Am I doing too much? Do I need to stop exercise all together? It can be so painful to walk on. I have been getting injections from my doctor that mask the pain but I can't do that for much longer.

Any advice from someone who has gone through the same thing? There is a 5K in late August that I would love to start training for in late June. Is that too soon?!?!

Replies

• kelp99
    kelp99 Posts: 101 Member
    I have plantar fasciitis in both feet. I also tried the injections (they worked for at most a week and then the pain came back.) I also bought the $400 othotics. They helped a little. But what I finally found works are the walk-fit orthotics. Don't buy them from their website though (overpriced & they don't give you a total for how much you've spent), go to Amazon and look for them (last time I bought them they were about $6 a pair. I cannot recommend them more, I'm finally able to walk without pain.

You do need to build up to wearing them though, so don't expect to be able to go for extended periods of time wearing them right away. Also, if you aren't against taking pain meds - 1 or 2 Aleve every 12 hours does wonders!
  • sstrassburg1
    sstrassburg1 Posts: 2 Member
    Plantar Fascittis is very painful, and I have gone through it several times and I have finally gotten rid of it. I found that it helps to stand back from a wall and lean into it to stretch your calf muscles. It sounds weird but it does help. Hold that position for about a minute to a minute and a half, do this a couple of times a day. I also bought new inserts for my shoes, even when I buy brand new tennis shoes, I yank out inserts right away and put in one that have a better arch support. I went to Wal-Mart and used their machine there and stepped on it and was given the correct insert to purchase. Since I am a male, mine was Dr. Scholl's 440 and what a dream they have been, no more heal spur pain.
  • Trnava
    Trnava Posts: 30 Member
    If injections just mask the pain, there may be a biomechanical problem you need to resolve. I suggest manual physical therapy (get recommendations to find a good one). A good PT can analyze the way you move to find the source of your injury.

My experience: From 2003 - 2005 I struggled with plantar fasciitis and bone spurs so severe that I would tear up just thinking about having to put my feet on the floor when I woke up in the morning. I didn't walk any more than I had to - house to car, car to office, sent husband to grocery store and every other errand - but saw no improvement, and refused to seriously consider surgery.

Finally in 2005 I tried a new PT. She analyzed my gait etc. and that first visit did nothing more than work on flexibility in my hips. It was SO painful. When she began to wrap up the visit I asked her, "You know I came in for my feet, right? You haven't touched them!" She just smiled and said she'd see me in two days.

So, nothing to do but get off the table and walk out - and before I reached the front desk I realized that I was moving more fluidly than I had in several years. My feet still hurt, but otherwise, I felt great.

After the first 3 visits, it took a few months of weekly then bimonthly visits. I saw consistent improvement in my feet (hips, back, knees, neck) from just replacing the bad "movement habits" I'd adapted when I was in pain. I had always stretched very thoroughly (I thought) but my PT used very targeted (and yeah, painful) stretches to open up joints. My right foot healed, but my left foot didn't completely stop hurting until my PT dug around on the inside of my lower leg and found a deep, super-tight muscle. She dug into it with her thumb - almost made me jump off the table - and I honestly have never felt plantar fasciitis pain since that day. I still massage those muscles on both legs periodically, especially after a long hike.

Hope this helps.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    I still workout w it.

I feel like I stretch my calves and feet all day long..even before I get out of bed in the morning. I wear a brace at night and it def helps.

I also recommend getting a water bottle and freezing it. Roll your foot around on it after exercising.
  • millesun
    millesun Posts: 209 Member
    I had to have surgery for plantar fasciitis in September...I ignored my pain and worked threw it till it got so bad I couldn't even finish a 8hr day at work with out limping. I'm in the healing stage now...but a few tips my physical therapist gave me that could help you are....

#1 stretch your fascia in the morning BEFORE you get out of bed. Take a towel or belt and wrap it around your foot just under the toes and slowly pull your foot towards your body. Do this a few times a day too...but its important to do in the morning before you step out of bed because we injure our fascia by stepping on it when its tight.

#2 freeze a 1 liter bottle and after work/works outs roll your foot over it for a few minutes. The ice will help stop any swelling (that causes pain) and the rolling over it helps to stretch the fascia

#3 step half way on a book or foot stool with your heel hanging off...and lean forward slowly. This will help stretch both your fascia and your calf muscles (often after lots of exercise our calf muscles get tight and pull the fascia causing pain).
  • Frankie3333
    Frankie3333 Posts: 53 Member
    Thanks, everyone! I take Cataflam (an anti-inflammatory) daily and wear 400 dollar orthotics. I am going to look up stretching exercises and I think stretching 1st thing in the morning is a great idea. I don't have a lot of money and my current insurance is not great. I will try to do this without PT but if it worsens then I will.
  • amammaa4
    amammaa4 Posts: 176 Member
    I was diagnosed last month and was told from the doctor workouts didn't need to stop but thats just me though. I would guess everyone is different. I wear a night brace,do stretches,wear heal inserts and use the frozen water bottle after every workout. I have an anti inflammatory cream, but I try not to use it to often. I can use the elliptical with no problems after but I have trouble walking on treadmill @ 3mph for 20 minutes, that I feel.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    A lacrosse ball on your calf and under your foot would do wonders for you.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Continuing to run when you are having extreme pain from it is a problem. I would recommend swimming or cycling. My doctor told me no running for 6 weeks when I was first diagnosed. The first two weeks were spent in a walking boot. I did 6 weeks of physical therapy, and I'm very happy about my running now (very little pain). You also need to make sure whatever shoes you are wearing deal with the problem you are having (my problem was overpronation). I also kept running when I was having the problem, and I believe that it made it worse and made it last longer.

During PT, I got exercises and advice about ways to fix my running to help with the PF. Good luck. If you are going to continue running, put a full plastic water bottle in the freezer and rub your foot over it after running.
  • bullsfan22
    bullsfan22 Posts: 104
    All suggestions above are great for this. Especially the frozen bottle, that's a must for me twice a day (morning and evening after work). Also on my off days for C25K (On Week 7 Day 2) I tend to swim which is a pain free way of cardio.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Get yourself to the pool. Use it for swimming and stretching.

I had PF for over 5 years without any relief, despite shots into the side of the foot, because the whole thing was so inflamed, one little needle didn't do anymore than just help that one bit. One morning, I got up, went to walk down the stairs and the arches in my feet had totally collapsed - my feet looked like Hobbits' ones (without the hair, obviously).

I got into MBT shoes first, which made a huge difference (as I could actually walk - my PF was extremely painful 24/7, not just in the mornings like they say it is), wore proper orthotics as soon as I could afford them when not wearing MBTs, and exercised in different ways, making certain that I increased strength and flexibility in my legs and hips. And one morning I woke up and there was no pain at all.

I still make sure I have proper supportive fitted trainers/gym shoes; I won't wear flipflops/thong/toepost sandals at all, and I always make sure I do range of motion and stretching exercises everyday, including when laying down in bed before I go to sleep and when I wake up. So far, there hasn't been a recurrence of PF for three years, which after five of constant pain, is pretty good going, I think.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    I had plantar fascitis. Diagnosed and pain pills prescribed. I didn't care for the pill-popping approach, so I cured the condition myself, by standing on the stairs on the balls of my feet, sinking down as far into my heels as possible, then rising. Standing on flat surface, stand up on the balls of my feet, hold a few seconds, then lower. Sit in a chair, stick your feet out in front of you, rotate and flex the foot repeatedly. I'd do a couple of dozen reps...I have no more pain in my feet now.