How many eggs do you hardboil, and what do you keep them in?

Options

Replies

• luan999
    luan999 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i cook 6 the night before (if i am working early!), and take 3 to work to add to a salad and keep 3 for next day...have never tried eggs that have been hard boiled for more than 2 days.:wink:
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I boiled seven eggs this morning. I have one of those egg cookers - works great. Today, I took out a sharpie, put an "H" on each egg and put them right back in the egg carton. I think they can last more than a week in their shell.

I try to eat four or less eggs per week. That's not advice, it is just what I do. I have heart attack/stroke/high blood pressure in my family, so I think keeping my cholesterol low is personally a good idea.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I boil the entire dozen. I keep them right in their shell until ready to eat. I've read they'll keep up to 10 day as long as they aren't cracked (I always make it a point to eat the cracked ones first).

This. I just put them one on top the other in a bowl in the fridge and just grab one when I am hungry for a quick snack.

I consider them different than when I eat eggs for a meal as in omelet, etc.
  • 09NewMe12
    09NewMe12 Posts: 18
    Options
    I do a whole dozen as well and keep in teh egg carton. i put a line on them(shell) so I can tell which ones are boiled instead of fresh.
    I have kept for a week or more with no problems mius cracked (eat first).
  • 09NewMe12
    09NewMe12 Posts: 18
    Options
    great idea with the onion!
    cheers~ nat
    first of all before you throw away my response please consider there are nine people in my house

I boil 3-4doz a time and I throw some onion skin in there so that it dyes the eggs so that everybody knows which ones are raw and which ones are boiled 3 dozen usually last about a week and my housethey actually can stay fresh in the shell for about two weeks mine never last that long
    Quick eggs sammich or deviled with a dab of sriracha sauce. Delish...
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    A dozen

I cook them in water below boiling temp because 100C makes protein rubbery. Eggs go in cold water, when it boils, turn off the fire, cover, wait 6 minutes, and drain.

Then if I'm feeling naughty, I peel them and throw them in soy sauce to marinate.

Trick to eggs that peel easy? Old eggs. The fresher the egg, the worse it peels.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    We usually do 8 or so (whatever is left over when we get the next batch from our dairy), and put them in the egg carton in the fridge. We generally eat them in less than 5 days, but after Easter we had eggs around for a bit longer and they were fine.
  • gostumpy
    gostumpy Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a harder time getting the shells off them if they're stored cooked with the shell on?

I always de-shell my hardboiled eggs right away.. must be habit!
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I am not an egg person but I boil a carton on Sunday night and return them to the carton, my husband has a few each day until Friday.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Six at a time, keep them shelf on in a bowl in the fridge. My fridge is pretty cold so they last fine for the week.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I buy them already boiled 12 in a carton at Food Lion, dont have to do a thing but eat them. They are perfect so I dont do my own any more!
  • middle_path
    Options
    Six at a time, give or take, because I only eat about one/day on average. If I have an extra carton, they go in that... otherwise I just use a bowl. 7-10 days in the fridge is fine for normal eggs.

I don't like marking the shells with ink, because they're porous. If I need to tell whether an egg is raw or cooked, I spin it for a second on the counter. Cooked eggs spin quickly, while raw ones kinda wobble around.

EDIT: Someone else mentioned this, but it's worth repeating -- for easier peeling, use older eggs.
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm the only one who likes them hard-cooked, so if I'm making some, I don't usually do more than 4 at a time.

I keep the extras (in the shell) in a little bowl in the fridge. The fact that they're not in the egg carton makes it pretty obvious to the rest of the fam that they're somehow "different."
  • gostumpy
    gostumpy Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The tip I like most for peeling is to hit them once on each end on the counter, breaking the ends, and then roll it in your hand briefly to loosen the shell.. almost falls off after that :)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    first of all before you throw away my response please consider there are nine people in my house

I boil 3-4doz a time and I throw some onion skin in there so that it dyes the eggs so that everybody knows which ones are raw and which ones are boiled 3 dozen usually last about a week and my housethey actually can stay fresh in the shell for about two weeks mine never last that long
    Quick eggs sammich or deviled with a dab of sriracha sauce. Delish...

My family always boiled Easter eggs in onion skins, turns them a gorgeous red-brown.I always thought this was a German thing... never heard of anybody else doing this. Thanks, that takes me a LONG way back.
  • katetake2
    katetake2 Posts: 1
    Options
    HI there,
    Hard boiled UNPEELED eggs will last in the fridge for 7 days.
    I peel them as I eat them, and they are great to have on hand for snacks & lunches.
    Off to cook some now actually :)
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I make them when I need them.

same here
  • squiggyflop
    squiggyflop Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I cook a whole container of them so 12-18 eggs. Then I write HB on the carton and store them in there, in their shells, for like a week. They go in with cold water, then when it boils I turn off the fire, and by the time the water cools the eggs are perfectly done. Sometimes I put food coloring in the cooking water so they look festive. Usually its blue
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    The tip I like most for peeling is to hit them once on each end on the counter, breaking the ends, and then roll it in your hand briefly to loosen the shell.. almost falls off after that :)

That will only work if the egg was old enough to begin with.

It has something to do with co2 and ph
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I make 5 hard boiled eggs and keep them in the container pictured below in the fridge....that way everyone in the house knows that they are hard-boiled and that they are mine. I think if you keep them in the fridge, they should be good for a week.

EggCrateF10.jpg