Tattoos

Options
jen_zz
jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
So many of you have "getting a new tattoo" as a reward for reaching your UGW, I am curious what type / pattern / wording and where on your body?

And if I was to get one.. (thinking about it) what are the main things I need to watch out for when picking a tattoo artist?

Replies

• greenmm1980
    greenmm1980 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    That is my reward for myself when I reach my goal. I have a few in mind but I keep going back to the tribal butterfly type
  • CramerWife
    CramerWife Posts: 18
    Options
    I have four tats already and currently planning to get a few more :) When picking a place or artist, try a place that has great reviews or someone you know that has been to that place... and really look through their books to view their work before settling for anything! I made that mistake and now have two tats I want covered up with something so I'm now researching that. Good luck!
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options

And if I was to get one.. (thinking about it) what are the main things I need to watch out for when picking a tattoo artist?

Make sure you get one who knows how to spell correctly...
  • LisaY76
    LisaY76 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Make sure you get one who knows how to spell correctly...
    ^^^This...LMAO
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I would not be able to wait until goals are reached to get tattooed. You should definitely do your homework. Make sure you pick something you really love or means something to you. As for the artist ask people you know, go to different shops and look at their portfolios see what they are rated by the health inspector and ask about their experience and sterilization practices.
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    I have two and plan on getting more. What others have said, make sure you research the artist and the shop before choosing. You can do this on line and in person. I did both for the second one. I have a memorial tattoo for my son that the first artist didn't do a really good job on. The second guy I chose fixed the memorial tattoo for free (he was pretty upset the first guy didn't do a better job) and then he did two butterflies on my other shoulder, leaving room for more. I went through everything I could find. He also didn't mind me watching him do others tattoo's. You can put into your search engine the shop, artist etc. And as for choosing what you want, if you have an idea....google that too, just put say "butterfly tattoo realistic" and you'll get a ton of ideas. Good luck and i hope you find something really great!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jikkenkekka
    jikkenkekka Posts: 61
    Options
    I've wanted a tattoo since I was a kid, but I still don't have any. I'm waiting until I've lost all the weight I want to plus have maintained for ~6 months before I allow myself to get one. It'll be a great reward for me as I really want one. My first tattoo will be travel-related, though I'm not 100% set on what it'll be. I haven't thought of anything particularly creative. :/ For now I've been considering a world map, perhaps along the side of my right leg/thigh (outer thigh). I saw a picture of something similar on the interwebs and it looked pretty cool. Might get countries/continents colored in as I visit them (though that would present the issue that some countries are ridiculously tiny so idk, maybe continents).
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch, but not because of weight loss...

Do your research on an artist, look at their portfolios, if they have a website, look it up. Don't settle!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Green cymbidium orchids, upper right thigh.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I have a back piece dedicated to my two older children (picture in my profile). We since have added another little one. I plan to get a thigh piece dedicated to both him and I - born in the year of the tiger. I plan to get a tiger adorned with Korean architectural patterns and Finn's Korean name.

If anyone is in my area, check out www.markheggie.com
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I think, unless you're just going for something pretty, for your design/shape/pattern. You should get something that can tell part of your life story. As far as the shop goes, make sure you see the needle taken out of the package for sure! And the artist should be someone you can give an idea, and they can make it blossom into something amazing. Most artists will, just don't go point at one on the wall, and say that(see what they can do with it)
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    I just got 2 new ones to celebrate my 1 year mark here on MFP...... I got a vampire bite with blood dripping from it on my left shoulder, and also a yin yang in a trinity knot on my inner left forearm.

I agree with BoomstickChic, do your research on the artist. If you've ever watched an episode of the tv show Tattoo Nightmares you would agree. They fix what other people have totally messed up.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Look at all your local shops and be sure to expand your radius a bit too. I drive 30 miles out to get mine done.
    During this search, check out every artists portfolio. Most good shops usually have people who specialize in multiple kinds of tattoos. If you like an artists work, contact them by email or call the shop and see about a good time to come in and discuss what you want.

Regarding what tattoo you want, try and give your artist as many references as you possibly can. You may have a clear idea of what you want in your head, but your potential artists does not. So you gotta try and make it very clear.

Also don't try and haggle the price down...if you find you can't afford what the artists quote is, ask about doing multiple sittings.

I'll leave you with this quote that i've seen in a lot of good shops.
    "Good work ain't cheap. Cheap work ain't good."
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    i got my wrists done after losing 77lbs.. i reached 250lbs.. i started at 327lbs. i never thought i would get that far and i wanted to mark my journey because i felt like i finally found myself. && i figured a reminder to love myself and keep believing might help motivate me to further my journey. =)

kynw0.jpg

my apologies that its not the best picture.. this was just like a few hours after it was done =)
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Good Question! I've thought about this, also but haven't totally settled on what I want or where. I've wanted a small tat of the rebel symbol (Star Wars - first movie I saw in a theater) but have also been debating some sort of flowy snowflake and/or starlight pattern. My ticker has one of my rough ideas for shape.

My mom got her first one at 50 yrs. She called to tell me she was going to do it, and I ended up giving her the "are you sure? This is forever" talk.
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I have 3, all tribal, all personally designed. Black/red/white.

My goal weight tattoo is this one (left upper thigh - its 8" x 10"):

5a0964af-a3a7-4d74-96b6-041fca40bf31_zpsb5041689.jpg
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I'm not telling you what tattoo I want, because it is so awesome that you will all steal it. :angry:
  • JellyBeanQueen86
    Options
    I can never wait! LOL

<<< Got my 7th tattoo on saturday <3
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I'm not telling you what tattoo I want, because it is so awesome that you will all steal it. :angry:

OY! I hope no one does that with mine. I'd be very sad since it was designed specifically for me and has very specific meaning to me.
  • LouisianaHotSauce_93
    LouisianaHotSauce_93 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I just joined the tattoo'd club!!

WOOO!