What do I do after an unfortunate binge???

Options
Hi,

Unfortunately from time to time I binge - I am trying to control this btw, but it does happen :(

Anyway - I want to know what people think is the best way to rectify it? I feel like there are two options:

- Under eat over the next few days to try and balance out the calories
- Eat according to the calorie count and take each day separately

I have another Q but it is kind of unrelated -
I heard that if you eat more than two pieces of fruit at the same time (say when eating a fruit salad) that your body stores the carbs as fat because there is heaps of sugar in fruit... does anyone know if this is false? I love to eat fruit and will sometimes have fruit for breakfast as well as snacks in between.

Also - Is it bad to drink instant coffee at home (with light milk & xylitol) while dieting? I have heard conflicting opinions about this:
1. That it raises your metabolism and helps with workouts at the gym
2. It can make your metabolism irregular and can cause high and low points of energy during the day and the low points may induce one to binge.

Thanks all! Can't wait to hear what you think.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    As far as if you are bad, just get back on track the next day, dont starve yourself the rest of the week
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    With regard to binging (me too!!), I try and take things day by day so I don't feel like I've ruined everything and I'll never recover. I try and use it as motivation to eat better, especially over the next few days, but I don't focus on cutting calories specifically.

I've never heard of the body storing carbs like that--I've heard that fruit sugars are better than refined sugars because they're easier for the body to use (hence, it's better to give someone with low blood sugar some fruit rather than candy), so I would think that as long as you aren't overeating calorie-wise you shouldn't have a problem... still, fruit does have a fair amount of sugar, so I'm careful to not "abuse" it.

As far as the coffee question, I think it's a matter of personal preference. I find that caffeine helps "balance" me because I don't get a high/crash, it just kind of wakes me up a bit so my brain can power on and tell my body what to do. I do know people who are completely opposite (one cup makes them crazy hyper for half an hour, then they crash), and as far as I can tell it's just because we're different people.

Good luck, and don't beat yourself up about one bad night!
  • unocentavo
    unocentavo Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Even the most hardcore fitness freaks have a "cheat day". We can't be robots all the time, weighing our food and denying ourselves the certain pleasure food gives us. Spoil yourself now and again and get back into the gym the next day. Don't feel guilty but don't cheat everyday either.

Lol, my bad, she said "xylitol" not "xenedrine". I need to slow down a little. Thanks for educating me on that one.
  • holiday33
    holiday33 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, DO NOT starve yourself calories the next day. You will confuse your body, and then send it into storage mode. One day eating to many cals and then the next day not enough, very unwise idea.
    Just as soon as you realize you went over on cals try to get right back on track. (I know easier said than done, just don't dwell on it and make yourself feel so bad) and to rectify the situation you may try and go for a walk/run/bike/swim etc. or do something active to try to make up for the over in- take of cals from binging.
    Most importantly do not be so hard on yourself. We all have those moments. Stay positive and keep moving forward to your goal! Good Luck.
  • second_1
    second_1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the others- dont punish yourself the next days. Just forget it happened and move on- drink plenty of water to flush out your system.
    Personally, instead of the xylitol, which is a sugar alcohol, I would, and do, use stevia. It is all natural and will not mess with your blood sugar levels, has no calories and tastes good. I use it in my coffee and sprinkled on my grapefruit. It is a plant and the leaves are used- it is 200X sweeter than sugar so a little bit goes a looong way. Sweetleaf is one brand that has no added, hidden sugars or chemicals.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    If you decide to binge, make sure you are planning to exercise. This is the only way you can get rid of the calories you consumed for that day. However, I'd never recommend exercise as a justification for binging, you will get no where in the long run. This is just advice for the times you DO binge, and I have all faith that you'll eventually get out of that habit once you start learning more and more about your personal health :)

As for coffee, no need to ditch it at all! I'm a major coffee fanatic and it's really boosted some of my workouts at the gym. The only think you should really make sure is that you have it at least 1-2 hours before you exercise and make sure you follow it with water so you aren't dehydrated (your system will still have the 'jolt' from the coffee).
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Even the most hardcore fitness freaks have a "cheat day". We can't be robots all the time, weighing our food and denying ourselves the certain pleasure food gives us. Spoil yourself now and again and get back into the gym the next day. Don't feel guilty but don't cheat everyday either.

^^^^ This.
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I find the best post binge cure is lots of water and taking my exercise up a step for a few days. I also find a cup of green tea kills most of my sugar cravings. Maybe you could try that next time?
  • amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    Options
    I totally feel you on the binge eating. But if you try to cut your calories the next day or two, it will only turn into a vicious binge/restrict cycle which is absolutely TERRIBLE for you to do to yourself. Trust me, been there done that. I know having a binge-belly feels terrible and you may not feel like eating, but drink lots of water, go for a walk, and when you feel comfortable, eat some breakfast--something with fiber to flush your system, and just try to stay positive. Keep your chin up girl!
  • Cathy_5011
    Options
    After a bad weekend or a binge I tell myself to start fresh. Each day is a new day and I go back to eating my correct cal intake. Like this weekend for example I am going to a friends bachlorette party weekend and I will be having alot of drinks. Monday I start back to normal.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    As a recovering binge addict I have been taught that you have to treat every day separate. You can't "save" calories for another day, and you can't "restrict" calories to make up for a past day.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself. Tomorrow is another day.
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    I love the advice that you are receiving on this. I think it's best to forgive yourself and treat it as a one day issue. Cutting calories isn't a great idea. It's like sleeping 14 hours for 2 days after a night of sleep deprivation. It doesn't help all that much, and just takes you more off schedule. Try to recognize the things that led you to binge so that you will know how to react next time. If it was boredom, you'll know to get out of the house next time you are bored. If it was emotional, you will know to call a friend or journal. Good luck!
  • Emdiee2014
    Options
    Wow, thanks so much everyone for the great responses!!
    It really helps to have this support. To think that other people have some of the same problems as me!! I will be trying hard to keep some of this info on board. The problem is I feel like my brain goes AWOL when a binge is coming on. I wish I had a on/off button and when I felt a craving I could turn myself off until it blew over! Well, I will stop whining now and get on with it!

Thanks all :)
  • eekface
    eekface Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i made sure I track it all (dont skip the tracking as it helps you see what you ate and be accountable) I find if I dont track it, its easier to repeat the binge.

I drink a ton of water, more than normal and the next day I eat normal like nothing happened.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Personally, if I had a binge, I would create larger calorie deficits for the remaining days of the week to make up for it. Why take a gain if you can adjusts you future intake to accomodate it? But that's just me... I'm an all or nothing type of girl ;)

Coffee...aaahh, coffee :) For me, helps with cravings, appetite, & energy! That beautiful little bean!
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't reduce calories. That will just lead to more binging. I, too, am a serial binger which is my biggest downfall! I exercise a lot and eat healthy most of the time but too often I cave to cravings in a BIG way. This time around, I'm trying to allow myself a "cheat" day once per week, where I eat some of my favorite foods. I'll get Chinese take out, personal size pizza, small bag of Doritos, a candy bar.... something like that. I decide ahead of time what it's going to be so that I don't go overboard and eat EVERYTHING. That way I know that I'll be satisfying my cravings one day a week and eat healthy the rest of the time. Also, this is helpful if I'm going to a baseball game or party and I need to save my "extra" calories for those events. This kind of goes along with Weight Watchers' "Flex Points" system.

NEVER GIVE UP COFFEE!!!! :-) J/K. I have never heard if it affects metabolism one way or the other.
  • Dianeb412
    Options
    I totally agree with everyone's advise. It is easy for me to say..sometimes I am so hard on myself. Once you binge - wipe yourself
    off and start again. I try to drink more water.
    Just as long as your binge doesnt go in 2...3...4 days. You will be fine- dont beat yourself up.
    As far as coffee...I need it every morning to get me started or through out the day when I need it.
    Sometimes I think I am hungry..I have a coffee and that was all I needed.

Good luck,
    Diane
    :drinker:
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    As some one who had this issue last night, I say just move forward. This morning, I did log every piece of garbage i put in my body last night, and I'm getting ready to do my run, even though my body is not over thrilled with me, lol.

Definitely drink as much water as you can today to help flush some of the sodium and other bad stuff out.

Here's to a better day, for both of us. :flowerforyou:
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I binge too :sad: I seem to follow a pattern of every fith day. Fortunately I have gone from serial binger (everyday) to just that fitth day and its only one meal. My last binge took me 3000 cals over my daily allowance :sick: I log everything, (no matter how difficult it feels to admit it) that evening. Next day I try to run off half the calories, then stick to my daily allowance. I agree with not starving next day, as it creates a cycle. This week after my mammoth binge I remained the same. I wish I could stop, but its an addiction I am recovering from with the help of a programme, so for me its progress. Thanks all for your honesty.