Gym membership???

Options
tcraw15
tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
Hey everyone,

I have a quick question. Does anyone know of any good gyms that provide a lap pool as an amenity? I am also wondering about pricing for membership.. I am hoping I won't have to pay an arm and a leg if I choose to join a gym.

I have been doing strength training at home, mostly compound body movements, but would like to switch it up and start lifting weights and also incorporate swimming, since my cardio consists of running mostly, as I don't have access to a pool.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have lifetime Fitness, it is $60 per month, but it has EVERYTHING.
  • liznsmith
    liznsmith Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you live. I have a 24 hour fitness sport membership. My monthly payment is $15. It's really low because my mom got me my membership when I was 12 (She was tired of me being fat), and I am now 28. Most 24 hour fitness' have pools yet the cleanliness is debateable. Try checking out yelp then making some calls.
  • nicolen763
    nicolen763 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It all depends on where you live and how far you are willing to drive. I have an Anytime Fitness Membership I pay $35.00 a month, (prices are different everywhere). I love it, I like that I can work out whenever I want. I also feel safe there which was important for me, the only thing I don't like is that it does not have a pool now I am not sure if thats case for all Anytime Fitness locations. I would just call around if I were you!
  • craziecritter
    craziecritter Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I belong to a Wellness Center that has a pool don't know if you have any in your area. How about the 'y'??
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I use the Y and love how clean it is. I alternate what I have been doing each day so I don't get bored.
  • tcraw15
    Options
    First, Thanks to everyone for replying.

Lifetime Fitness and the Y are super nice, but I'm thinking it might be too expensive?? Do any of the gyms mentioned have contracts you have to stick to, or can you cancel at any time if needed without having to pay a fee?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You're asking us to tell you about gym amenities in your neighborhood? Ok, Give me your address.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    The local Y would usually be the cheapest, because it's a nonprofit organization. There's actually a cheaper place around where I live, but it's kinda crummy.
  • cinderwolfeh
    Options
    My gym has a nice lap pool and it wasn't ridiculously expensive ( we opted for only 4 days a week because all days was double the price. I go to Steve Nash Fitness Center and Sports Club.. though I'm not sure if that's a BC only place or if it's everywhere.
  • blakerb29
    blakerb29 Posts: 74
    Options
    Virgin active gyms do, not sure if there are in America though but worth a check as they are quality gyms.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    It depends upon where you live. I am a member of the Cocoa, Florida Y... It costs me $21 per month because I am a local state college student. The Cocoa, Florida Y also has a great lap pool... In addition, it has a great physical fitness/wellness staff and I have made many new friends since I had joined back in August 2011...
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Most gyms with pools are going to cost more because pools are $$$ to maintain, plus they require the gym to have more insurance (liability), staff (lifeguards) etc.
  • tcraw15
    Options
    You're asking us to tell you about gym amenities in your neighborhood? Ok, Give me your address.

No, I'm simply asking about gyms that people go to, so I can get an idea of what to look for around here. I know gyms like 24 hour fitness are everywhere, so I would like to know what people think about them, because that is the kind of information I won't get over the phone or on a tour.

Thanks for the info guys. :)
  • lmclaine
    lmclaine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am about to join Planet Fitness. They are only $10/month and are open 24/7. See if there is one in your area.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

No, I'm simply asking about gyms that people go to, so I can get an idea of what to look for around here. I know gyms like 24 hour fitness are everywhere, so I would like to know what people think about them, because that is the kind of information I won't get over the phone or on a tour.

Thanks for the info guys. :)

riiiiiiight, but i have four 24 hour fitness clubs within a few mins drive from my house, and they all have different amenities. one of them isn't even open 24 hours.