Is my diet making me fatigued and irritable?

Options
I'm 159 lbs, trying to get to 140. I decided to give Jenny Craig a try. I lost 8 lbs in 4 weeks - (was 167 when I started JC).

But as time has gone on, I have felt less energetic and more irritable. I have been exercising more regularly -- burning on average of about 300 cal a day...

The other thing I've noticed as time has gone on, is that my craving for sweets is through the roof! I did SouthBeach several years ago and it eliminated my cravings... but ALL I can think about is SUGAR!!

What's going on? Do I ditch JC? Do I run to the market now and get a red velvet cake?

I hate feeling like this.

Replies

• verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options

The other thing I've noticed as time has gone on, is that my craving for sweets is through the roof! I did SouthBeach several years ago and it eliminated my cravings... but ALL I can think about is SUGAR!!

What's going on? Do I ditch JC? Do I run to the market now and get a red velvet cake?

I hate feeling like this.

Hi there, honey ....... I feel your pain & confusion, but you know red velvet cake is not the answer ....... if SB worked for you in the past, why not use some of its "rules" again ??? I've been following a basic SB way of eating for more than five years. And every single time I veer "off the beach" disaster hits :laugh:

I think you know what to do ...... detox from the sugary stuff for a few days & see if that doesn't boost your energy ...... best of luck to you !

Mary Ann
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Get something sweet. Enjoy it. Food taste good for a reason, and generally, when we start craving something, our body needs it for some reason.

As for the irritability, I've found I get that way when the protein content is lower.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    But as time has gone on, I have felt less energetic and more irritable. I have been exercising more regularly -- burning on average of about 300 cal a day...
    How much are you EATING a day? What's your calorie goal, do you meet it, and do you eat back exercise cals?

Tired & irritable sounds like a classic case of the hangries - hungry and angry from lack of fuel! :tongue: Been there, done that, won't ever go back.

When craving sweets, go for a handful of raw almonds, and to get the sweet fix, ad a few pieces of dark chocolate with it - the darker the better. Like 72% cacao or more. With just what you've told us, I'd agree with GuitarJerry that you're likely not eating enough, and more food with plenty of good protein, fats and carbs will do you good.

No diets, no "diet food" - set your goals realistically here at MFP (meaning probably no more than a goal of losing .5lb a week), the right activity level, and eat close to goal, eating back those exercise cals. Weigh and measure foods, don't guess. Drink plenty of water, exercise, get good rest.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask, then the answer is yes.
  • momof4greatkids1
    momof4greatkids1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss! That's great. Good kick start. Maybe it's time to add in a little more food?

I've been going through the same thing. I started a new nutrition plan and the pounds were falling off but man I feel so tired and hungry all the time.

My neighbor is doing JC and oh. my. gosh. I'm sorry but the food looks horrendous! I hope yours is better than what i see him eating. I could never do it.
  • najlaamundson
    najlaamundson Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes - some of the JC food isn't pretty, but honestly, it is tasty. The only thing I can't eat is the chili. It looks gross and tastes that way. I'm at 1200 calories a day. But I end up eating more like 1350 because I'll add extra fruit during the day or veggies.

Thanks for everyone's answers! I just needed some affirmation....

n :)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Eat something. Perhaps cake; as far as I know a slice of cake has never hurt anyone. I myself am chowing down on some carrot cake with vanilla ice cream tonight. I may even go back for a second slice.