Snacking Help

Options
lanoreco
lanoreco Posts: 11 Member
Hey Everyone! I just started using MFP again and I see what my biggest problem is - snacking.

Meals, I have down pat no problem @ 300-400 calories a meal. But, my snacking calories add up way over a meal on its own. I have healthy snacks on hand, but they don't seem to be holding me over. For example, today I brought a hard boiled egg and a pear to work. I had the egg in between breakfast and lunch and a pear with a stick of cheese in between lunch and dinner.

However, after lunch everything tends to go down hill (I also work at a cupcake company btw) and I had 3 pieces of candy, then after dinner tonight I wanted something sweet so I had peanut butter with coconut flakes. I just cannot get the snacking under control...any suggestions?

My calorie limit a day (if I'm not exercising) is 1,200.

Replies

• Lady_Slimsalot
    Options
    This is like me. Which is why I'm trying not to snack at all during the week. It went surprisingly well last week. And a 300 calorie meal is pretty skimpy btw. I find when I have 500 calorie meals I'm not that interested in snacks or sweets. :-)
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Be sure to drink plenty of water every day. Those baby carrots make great snacks!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I can't survive on 1200 calories a day for this reason. I upped to 1600 and resolved to lose slower, without starving.
  • Lady_Slimsalot
    Options
    PS: Have a look at the section on snacking here. I thought it was interesting enough to give it a try. http://www.nosdiet.com/
  • Cassea7
    Cassea7 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I think its good to eat healthy snacks..If you are hungry then you need them.

I make skim milk banana chocolate milkshake

1 cup skim milk 2 tlbsp cocoa powder .5 banana and 2 packets of stevia ( natural sweetner) blend well in blender

delicious healthy and about 120 cals..it will fill you up
  • bluefish49
    bluefish49 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My main snacks are Quaker Stila Strawberry - 80 cal, 5g sugar. And Quaker 25% less sugar granola bars, 100 cal, 5g sugar.

Others include a serving or half serving of crackers or chips. I spent a little time in the cracker section reading nutrition info, and picked out a few different chips and crackers to keep some variety in things.

And every morning I fix myself a bowl of sugar free jello for consumption in the evening - 20 calories for the whole bowl.
  • pattie317
    pattie317 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Snacks....Sams Club has the best trail mix (Wild Berry Forest) consists of dried cranberries, almonds, cashews, dried blueberries, yogurt chips,etc. also like Vanilla Yogurt covered raisins, very good! also lots of fresh fruit!!
  • fitdanes
    fitdanes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ugh this is my biggest problem as well!!!!!
    What helped my snacking would be instead of having high calorie snacks (like eggs, peanut butter, trail mix etc). Try having low calorie snacks that are volume heavy,
    I couldn't stop my snacking so instead I switched it, before I would have random handfuls of cereal, granola, dried fruits, and random picking at food. I didnt realize how quickly these added up. Instead what I do now is continue to snack but on things like celery sticks (15 calories for 2 huge sticks), almond milk (great frothed with splenda and walden farms no calorie chocolate sauce), tofutti fudge popsicles (30 calories for 1), Dried Seaweed (30 calorie pack), Sugar Free Jello... etc
    Also you could buy those 100 calorie portion controlled packs!!! Just take a plate out of the kitchen and only eat whats on it! Dont stand at the fridge!
    Happy Snacking! Just snack wisely! :-)