Soooo Hungry...

Options
I've never been one to watch my diet but I will be turning 40 this year and the weight is starting to catch up to me (doesn't seem to fall off like it used to :). My problem is I LOVE to eat. Am I just going to have to get used to being hungry all the time or is that something that fades as your body gets used to a better diet?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Depends - if you could make your diary public so we could see what you're eating it would help us offer better advice. :smile:

There is some adjustment, for sure, but had to find the right number of calories and the right types of foods, making sure I was getting good protein, fats, carbs, fiber, etc.
  • Lineape
    Lineape Posts: 9
    Options
    You will get less hungry. Your stomach shrinks over time when you eat less.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/22/health/22real.html?_r=0
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you on?
  • hotelfive
    hotelfive Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks guys. I've made my diary public, sorry I didn't even realize I could do that! I'm currently on 2030 calories.
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    When I started working on losing weight THIS TIME, I cut every portion of every meal in half, (not recommended.) My stomache hurt and I was very hungry, but after two weeks, I got over it when my stomache shrunk. Then once I learned how to eat filling, lower calorie foods, it started becoming harder to over eat.

Good luck with it!
  • CatMcCheesey
    CatMcCheesey Posts: 143
    Options
    I haven't had any problem with hunger since I switched to a lower carb way of eating. (40% protein, 30% fat, 30% carbs) Eating lots of lean protein and vegetables has helped me lose weight and ward off hunger. Maybe experiment and see what works for you?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Well, there's a lot of pizza and meat in your diary. :tongue: No shame, I chowed down on pizza tonight too, but there's not much in the way of fruit or veg in your day. Fruit in your breakfast smoothie I'm guessing, but you could have more food in your day if you ditched the fries and gravy, sausages and daily pizza.

Grilling season is here - grill up some chicken, lean beef or pork, and grill some veggies too. Zucchini, onions, red bell peppers, mushrooms - slice 'em all up and toss with a little olive oil & balsamic vinegar, then grill them in one of those grill baskets. Baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, brown rice, green beans, salad with avocado - good stuff there.

Healthy fats can help satisfy the hunger too - snack on raw almonds, walnuts, or grab some pistachios (make sure you measure them out in proper portions - they add up quick!), or toss some in that smoothie. Or switch up the smoothie and have eggs & toast for breakfast, or oatmeal with the fruit & yogurt, and put some walnuts on top. Sliced apples dipped in peanut butter, baby carrots, sugar snap peas & red bell pepper slices dipped in hummus.

A huge part of this process for me was learning what to eat as well as how much. It took time to change my eating habits. I still enjoy all the foods I love (check out my diary the past few days - burgers, pizza, peach cobbler, I still enjoy beer, wine, ice cream, etc), but varied with other, healthier choices.
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I bet if you added some veggies and unprocessed protein sources like chicken breast or fish to your diet you would be less hungry. When I eat sweets and processed food they just make me more hungry. Are you doing any kind of exercise? Sometimes that helps guide what nutrition you choose. Like, if you're weight training or something.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I had good results eating 100 g of carbs/day, and upping fats and protein to meet my calorie goal. Still had to resist the urge to nibble, but starving?--not ever! Eat more salad-type veggies, a little fruit, meat and eggs, healthy fats, and go easy on, or eliminate, the rice, potatoes, bread, pizza, and processed foods.

See marksdailyapple.com for an eating plan you can live with--tasty real food.
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    I workout more so that I can eat more.

There, I said it. ;)

Seriously though, I have found that to be a much more sustainable way of doing things, as opposed to relying on calorie cutting alone. If I get a decent amount of exercise in, I can eat decent meals & not feel at all deprived, it helps that exercise in & of itself makes me feel better, but the extra food is a positive incentive!
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You have received some great advice in this thread. The only thing I can add is that I was where you are now, nine years ago. I love to eat, and I love to eat in volume. I found that by dropping the majority of the junk food I ate, and eating tons more veggies and low-fat protein sources, I am full, not packing on weight, and I feel better than I did 10 years ago. It took some time, and, I still have days where I just want some Pringles, but, I really like my "new" recipes and diet. Who knew I would ever love veggies, mmuch less crave them? Good luck! :smile:
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    hungry at first, all the time. but then you stop feeling so hungry.

my issue is i still have crazy cravings, so i always make/order lots, but i can maybe eat 1/3 of my plate. still trying to adjust to this.
  • hotelfive
    hotelfive Posts: 5
    Options
    That's great guys thanks so much for all the input and tips! Much appreciated :)