Starting A New Job..Tomorrow as Chef

Options
Cp731
Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
I will be on my feet day and Night.
Im used to preparing my meals at home.
I worry about ALL those extra burned cals.

I may be jumping the gun with worry, but I would like to know how any of you have survived the dreaded going back to work scenario.
And keeping up with your Fitness and Food.

Replies

• Mumbles83
    Mumbles83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Im a Chef and trying to fit in the whole health and fitness thing can be hard ... work long hours... but i try to be as organised as possible i take my meals to work with me and workout when i finish
  • Cp731
    Options
    Im thinking its going to be gross to microwave Tilapia.
    I just started a new feeding schedule, 2 meals a day.
    I never had time to eat at my last job.
    So this is why I worry
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I worked in the restaurant business most of my twenties.
    It is a tough job, BUT if you make good choices for yourself - as far as food at work and rest in your free time, you will do fabulous!

You are going to rock your new job Ange! And all those extra burned calories are just an invitation to eat more delicious healthy food.
    Win win in my book!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Cp731
    Options
    I worked 60 hrs most weeks and went down to an unhealthy 100lbs.
    I lost a lot of muscle.
    Maybe I can keep my protein powder in my car or on a shelf at work.
    Im thinking I will start Juicing again. I was able to get some my vitamins and nutrients.
  • Mumbles83
    Mumbles83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    So this is why I worry

Yeah usually it can just a straight 12 - 16 hour shift and no break so no time to eat ... but i now make sure i make time to eat
  • Cp731
    Options

Yeah usually it can just a straight 12 - 16 hour shift and no break so no time to eat ... but i now make sure i make time to eat

Tell me some of your secrets, please
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I worked 60 hrs most weeks and went down to an unhealthy 100lbs.
    I lost a lot of muscle.
    Maybe I can keep my protein powder in my car or on a shelf at work.
    Im thinking I will start Juicing again. I was able to get some my vitamins and nutrients.

Protein powder, nuts, fresh green juice, grilled chicken breast, hard boiled eggs, you can make at home and portion out in Ziplocs and keep in the fridge at work, all sounds fabulous, nutritious!
  • Cp731
    Options
    Cals burned. I should probably wear my HRM for the 1st few days.
    Lots of lifting, bending, sweating.
    Thoughts?
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Maybe a cooler in the car with some protein rich snacks?
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    So this is why I worry

I reheat tilapi. :happy: but I also reheat mcdonalds sooooooo you may want to ignore this!
  • Cp731
    Options
    So this is why I worry

I reheat tilapi. :happy: but I also reheat mcdonalds sooooooo you may want to ignore this!

Eeeow! Only You Jess, haha

I made some green juice and bought some containers for my meals.
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    You need to find some calorie dense foods that you like that you can eat in a pinch. Tilapia has like 1 calorie, so don't think about eating low Cal, think about eating nutrient dense. Eggs, cheese, peanut butter, nuts.... I really like pure protein mini bars... they're a bite size chocolate bar with 10 grams of protein. I take them biking with me.

You are AWESOME!!! So proud of you!
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You said you were worried about all the extra calories burned, so this obviously means you'll have to eat more (I'm sure you're saying DUH haha). What kind of restaurant will you be working in? Will you be able to cook yourself foods that are healthy that you would be comfortable with? Or will time be too much of a problem? And CONGRATULATIONS on the new job!!!!
  • Cp731
    Options
    You said you were worried about all the extra calories burned, so this obviously means you'll have to eat more (I'm sure you're saying DUH haha). What kind of restaurant will you be working in? Will you be able to cook yourself foods that are healthy that you would be comfortable with? Or will time be too much of a problem? And CONGRATULATIONS on the new job!!!!

Its a family style restaurant. Lots of catering. Not what Im used too.

Omgeeee, tomorrow at this time I will be working. Im getting nervous.
  • RitaB19
    RitaB19 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Having worked with Chefs for years in Retirement Communities and Nursing Homes, they are their feet all day, so you will be burning extra calories there. Normally these positions allow you to get your food for free? Are there healthy options you can make for yourself at work? Most employers have to allow at least one 30 min lunch break and 1-2 15 min. breaks. Smart idea to bring non-perishable snacks like protein bars and your Protein Powder to make shakes, that way you can supplement. Just don't be tempted to taste test the food all day long or eat fried food or junk. If you have great willpower, I'm sure you will be fine CP!!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I keep protein powder, water and preworkout supps on my car all the time.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I will be on my feet day and Night.
    Im used to preparing my meals at home.
    I worry about ALL those extra burned cals.

I may be jumping the gun with worry, but I would like to know how any of you have survived the dreaded going back to work scenario.
    And keeping up with your Fitness and Food.

I was a sous chef. Sweated like a pig, got burnt and bloody, I ate like hell.

It was good though, and those cute servers made the nights worth it. I wouldn't really worry about "increased caloric burn" because with great sweating as a chef, comes a great many tasting opportunities. Such as, tasting every damn thing to make sure you aren't sending dog food covered in fetid goo sauce.
  • Cp731
    Options
    Im about to walk out the door.

Got Rice Cakes and Pb.
    Protein Powder.

Thanks all for the tips.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I have no tips... I just wanted to say HECK YEAH!!! I'm so proud and happy for you for getting this job!!! Best of luck!!! You are going to rock their mutha flippin' socks off!!!